LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 start up, Running rough help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 11:21 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ls400 Almost alive!!!

I posted earlier about the starter issues and the car not turning over.
Turned out the posts on the battery weren't connecting properly.

Now I have full crank, the spark plugs are getting fuel and using ether in the throttle body almost gets it started.
The car hasn't fully started up yet, im wondering if its just bad gas? or what?
Last night on one of the start attempts a ridiculously loud backfire happened, think it was just all the fuel being dumped in there.
Old 01-15-13, 12:11 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Any suggestions anyone?
Old 01-15-13, 03:27 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

If starting fluid almost gets it going, and then it immediately dies, i would put money that its an issue with the fuel pump/fuel delivery system.

You said that the "spark plugs are getting fuel"... You mean that you are getting spark AND fuel? How did you test for it?
Old 01-15-13, 04:16 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

to reiterate my earlier advice, siphon all the bad old gas out, get it started with starting fluid, bring the starting fluid with you and go and fill up the tank with fresh gas to dilute any bad gas remaining after the siphoning.

then drive the car enough to use up the bad gas that was in the fuel lines - then go to Wal-Mart and buy about 4 bottles of Techron and put them in there with the full tank
Old 01-15-13, 05:17 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Have you checked the timing?
Old 01-16-13, 07:42 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Yes i meant spark and fuel, i actually replaced the spark plugs an it tries to run a lot better than it did.

I actually unpluged the fuel line to the fuel filter and let it drain about a gallon out and put new gas on top like 3 gallons or so. Havent yet tried to start it after i did this.
Think maybe that should work as well?
Old 01-16-13, 07:43 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Have you checked the timing?
Yes twice actually lol
Old 01-16-13, 07:55 AM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
to reiterate my earlier advice, siphon all the bad old gas out, get it started with starting fluid, bring the starting fluid with you and go and fill up the tank with fresh gas to dilute any bad gas remaining after the siphoning.

then drive the car enough to use up the bad gas that was in the fuel lines - then go to Wal-Mart and buy about 4 bottles of Techron and put them in there with the full tank

Only downside to that at the moment is it hasnt started long enough to do that lol
Old 01-16-13, 12:55 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i've had gas sit in my car (albeit inside my garage) for over a year and was still good enough to fire up the motor. i suspect the fuel pump has seized or is not functional. since you had unplugged the fuel line, keep it unplugged and turn the key to prime the pump. is there fuel being pushed through?
Old 01-16-13, 02:30 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I think you have bad gas, but in addition, I suspect another problem, how did you verify both the ignition timing and the valve timing are both fine? - explain fully how you know these are both correct, I am not convinced.
Old 01-16-13, 03:18 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I think you have bad gas, but in addition, I suspect another problem, how did you verify both the ignition timing and the valve timing are both fine? - explain fully how you know these are both correct, I am not convinced.

Now I haven't checked ignition timing didn't know about that? By that do you mean both upper marks aside from the one on the crank pulley being aligned?
Now as far as timing for the timing belt its correct all the lines mark up at 0 and I had it double checked by a Toyota technician.

As far as fuel it is getting to the spark plugs, ive also just replaced all the spark plugs.
And just recently unplugged the fuel filter side going to the motor after the fuel filter and drained half a gallon out I did not however, check to see if its getting pressure by turning the key.

Now ive inspected just about everything from top to bottom and everything appears to be correct.
Im left to think its either bad gas and that's all I can think of.

Now when ive tried starting it the few times, ill spray starting fluid in the intake and the first or second try it attempt to putt its way into running but immediately dies after about 2 seconds or so.
Old 01-16-13, 03:30 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you are still left with a myriad of possibilities, just have to slowly narrow it down!

here are a few that I don't believe you have really ruled out yet:

ignition
ignition timing
ECU issues
fuel quality
fuel pressure
compression

you really need to get ALL of the old gas out of the car. and several gallons of fresh gas in the car

have you scanned the ECU for codes?

do you have the factory service manual?

when you checked the valve timing, did you:

1. verify that 0 degree mark on the crank pulley really was TDC in cylinder #1?
2. check that all of the following line up simultaneously:

crank pulley at 0 degrees
LH cam pulley mark
LH cam pulley backing plate mark
RH cam pulley mark
RH cam pulley backing plate mark

another thing I have seen more often than you would think, spark plug wires going to wrong cylinders!

with timing covers off, is a good time to do a static ignition timing check, with crank pulley at 10 degrees BTDC, the rotor should be pointing precisely at the "1" terminal inside the LH distributor cap

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-16-13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 03:41 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

well I don't have a obd1 scanner only obd2. But theres no check engine light coming on or anything else really other than the normal lights. But it hasn't ran long enough to throw any codes?

Ill be checking to see if I had fuel pressure in a few minutes.
I don't have a manual to the car.
When I bought it the only major piece missing from the car was the fan bracket for the pullies.
They explained when I bought it that he bought it off a woman for cheap because it just stopped working for her. So he thought he could fix it and I mean this dude is really old he maybe touched it twice and not even in the engine bay.
I Guessed the reason it would start was the starter, pulled that out and had it tested and it didn't work. Went to a local pick n pull and jacked one off a 96 or 97 ls400 that literally hadn't be touched either took that off had it tested it was good so I put it all back together and now it cranks.
Old 01-16-13, 03:58 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well I don't have a obd1 scanner only obd2
you don't need a scanner - just a short jumper wire
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 01-16-13, 04:06 PM
LANcr3w
Rookie

Spark plug wires are in order and plugged completely in.

Quick Reply: Ls400 start up, Running rough help