LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 5spd M/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 10:27 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daft
Hi, I performed this swap at my shop Daft Innovations. I have a dyno in my facility as well and would have already dyno'd the car if it wasn't for the 20 inch ghetto chrome wheels on it.

I will be offering a w58 shifter extension, single piece steel driveline, cnc diff adapter to allow a rear flange to bolt up with u joint, transmission crossmember/poly trans mount, clutch pedal Assembly with bracket/braided lines.

This swap does cost a pretty penny. I don't offer the w58 adapter/diff flange adapter myself. I will be working with a close friend that machines them to build a complete package deal kit for those who may want to do this swap.

Note: This is not an advertisement to sell the product.. just a glimpse of what may be coming in the future for the ls400 enthusiasts. I will be taking more detailed shots of the parts including clutch pedal and external reservoir that will come with it as well. The entire swap will cost people roughly around 2300.

list of parts that I used.

w58 transmission
3sgte flywheel modified
arp 4age flywheel bolts
3sgte mr2 pressure plate/supra disc
howe racing slave cylinder or quartermaster
toyota throw out bearing inplace of the howe/quartermaster
pilot bearing 7mge
1uzfe to w58 steel/aluminum adapter/slave spacer
drive shaft single piece 3 inch diameter beefiness
drive shaft adapter to dif "eliminate the rubber bushings"
transmission crossmember "custom" energy suspension/toyota hybrid bushing "designed by Daft"
in car under dash 3/4 bore master cylinder/clutch pedal setup/with external reservoir/braided feed lines
remote bleeder for the slave in transmission
w58 extension to center the w58 shifter in the factory ls400 shifter hole "over 7 inches back from mk3 w58"

the wiring will involve looping the neutral safety wires and hooking up 2 wire for reverse lights. No check engine lights!!

I will dyno it once I put the exhaust back on and see if there is any big gain on power. Thanks for all the feedback.

Rich@DAFT
Awesome job Rich....

Question regarding the above in bold: hhhmmm Do you think it would be this simple with OBDII as well to prevent CEL? I think Matt (RedPhoenix) did that and he still has a CEL. Now i'm not sure anymore if it was tranny related. I'd have to go at his DIY thread and read it again heheheee

Thanks!
Old 10-21-10, 10:31 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
let me rephrase, they know you are IN gear, newer ones wiht CAN will generally know which gear you are in but the first and 2nd gen OBDII cars will at least know you are in gear.

the biggest problem will be with the '98+ cars, which have DTCs PER SOLENOID in the trans.
+1... This is true with 98+. DTC's per solenoid. I guess my question has been answered and it wouldn't work just looping the neutral switch.
Old 10-22-10, 07:47 AM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
let me rephrase, they know you are IN gear, newer ones wiht CAN will generally know which gear you are in but the first and 2nd gen OBDII cars will at least know you are in gear.

the biggest problem will be with the '98+ cars, which have DTCs PER SOLENOID in the trans.

When you break em all down they have codes for all the solenoids in all the cars. but its nothing complicated as people make it. Think of it this way what the engine ecu dosent know wont hurt it as long as you give the signal it wants.

I have a 99 GS with a manual which has a can bus system. i have one check engine light that comes and goes and its a speed sensor issue of compatibility. No performance loss, and one day i figure out what it wants , not to mention there are allot of wonderful products to help with that know. aka Dakota digital.

Either way let the OP have his day in the sun.
Old 10-22-10, 08:44 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job
Old 10-25-10, 02:23 AM
Daft
Driver School Candidate

thanks everyone.

I just recently finished it all up. Pictures of clutch pedal setup will be put up in next couple days. The check engine light crap sucks because its not just a simple way to delete the codes. I have hp tuners for gm cars. If you want to delete a code from ever showing up you can. I wish someone had a obd2 software that could log in to the Toyota ecu and delete unwanted codes. I know there are ways around it.

This swap is obviously not for everyone. Most people buy these cars to cruise drink coffee while accelerating onto the freeway. For the people that enjoy switching gears and making your luxury car feel a bit more sporty that's another thing.

Keep in mind everything is proto type on this swap thus far. Things will be tested and improved as needed. I will be performing the swap on a 98 plus car of my own to do some further testing. 6 speed would be a nicer option IMO.
Old 10-25-10, 03:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

pm me, have some ideas you could use if you're serious about doing it on a 98+ car. don't want to post up the info publicly as it is in no way verified and purely experimental.

if you can get it to work i'll post it up
Old 11-02-10, 06:39 PM
ariasuriah
Driver

So rich, you're investing in an ls?? Try your best to make it as clean as mine.
Old 03-16-11, 07:44 PM
4U2QUIK
Driver School Candidate

I know it's been awhile, but the owner of the car finally posted up some drifting vids on his youtube. check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/vocalbasherlol

Last edited by 4U2QUIK; 03-17-11 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 09:18 AM
Cashflo
Driver

I'm going to be doing a 1jz swap into my LS as well as an R154 transmission. I would really like to see what you guys did for a clutch pedal and master setup...
Old 05-13-11, 12:12 AM
InvaderJim
Driver School Candidate

clutch pedal / master is a custom one-off self contained setup. The guy at Daft custom made it.
Old 05-13-11, 08:40 PM
Cashflo
Driver

Originally Posted by InvaderJim
clutch pedal / master is a custom one-off self contained setup. The guy at Daft custom made it.
OK, well pics would be great, as I am doing a 5 speed swap relatively soon....
Old 05-14-11, 05:49 PM
bthomas
Rookie

Looks good guys. Got me thinking about it now.

They figure we Americans are to lazy to handle a three pedal car, so they stop producing them?
Old 07-16-11, 05:35 PM
147noob
Pole Position

does the speedo cable work?
Old 07-16-11, 06:42 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

5-speed stick in the LS, Mmmmmmm yummy hope theres more info and pics to come
Old 07-17-11, 07:20 PM
lexo16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
total your looking around 2-3k installed. the whole adapter kit from quantum is around 1k then u need to get the trans, misc parts and then labor.
i looked into this for my ls as well, i think it would be more worth it to buy a 2jz motorset with a r154 or w58 if u want mild hp's..

Quick Reply: Ls400 5spd M/T