LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 5spd M/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 07:28 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

total your looking around 2-3k installed. the whole adapter kit from quantum is around 1k then u need to get the trans, misc parts and then labor.
Old 10-18-10, 07:29 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Badass but has been done before,but not in the us. I hope you checkout lextreme forums lots of good feedback on this topic to be had there.

Last edited by Brandicus; 10-18-10 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 12:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CACressida
I can't give a price estimate as of yet, but I definetly want to buy a 2nd or 3rd generation ls400 and do the swap in it, that's how sweet it is. I'm a trucker so I've hit the road already.

I'll see if I can get my buddy to send me a pic of the clutch. The clutxh master actually mounts on the inside of the car instead of the engine bay.
the price goes up substantially if you try to do this on a 95-97 or 98-00 ls400, OBDII cars are far less forgiving electronically when you try to swap transmissions out.

afaik the only way to make it really work right is by going standalone.
Old 10-18-10, 06:12 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome. Manuals are definitely more free and probably makes the engine feel more powerful. Let us know if you notice a change in the fuel economy
Old 10-18-10, 09:05 PM
4U2QUIK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
total your looking around 2-3k installed. the whole adapter kit from quantum is around 1k then u need to get the trans, misc parts and then labor.
Sounds about right minus the quantum parts.
Old 10-18-10, 09:53 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it's the first or not but that's pretty sweet. Just seeing the 5 speed there, it reminds me of the ES300 interior. Congrats, you should dyno is and see if it provides any real warranted gains other than the seat of the pants feel.
Old 10-20-10, 07:04 PM
Daft
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I performed this swap at my shop Daft Innovations. I have a dyno in my facility as well and would have already dyno'd the car if it wasn't for the 20 inch ghetto chrome wheels on it.

I will be offering a w58 shifter extension, single piece steel driveline, cnc diff adapter to allow a rear flange to bolt up with u joint, transmission crossmember/poly trans mount, clutch pedal Assembly with bracket/braided lines.

This swap does cost a pretty penny. I don't offer the w58 adapter/diff flange adapter myself. I will be working with a close friend that machines them to build a complete package deal kit for those who may want to do this swap.

Note: This is not an advertisement to sell the product.. just a glimpse of what may be coming in the future for the ls400 enthusiasts. I will be taking more detailed shots of the parts including clutch pedal and external reservoir that will come with it as well. The entire swap will cost people roughly around 2300.

list of parts that I used.

w58 transmission
3sgte flywheel modified
arp 4age flywheel bolts
3sgte mr2 pressure plate/supra disc
howe racing slave cylinder or quartermaster
toyota throw out bearing inplace of the howe/quartermaster
pilot bearing 7mge
1uzfe to w58 steel/aluminum adapter/slave spacer
drive shaft single piece 3 inch diameter beefiness
drive shaft adapter to dif "eliminate the rubber bushings"
transmission crossmember "custom" energy suspension/toyota hybrid bushing "designed by Daft"
in car under dash 3/4 bore master cylinder/clutch pedal setup/with external reservoir/braided feed lines
remote bleeder for the slave in transmission
w58 extension to center the w58 shifter in the factory ls400 shifter hole "over 7 inches back from mk3 w58"

the wiring will involve looping the neutral safety wires and hooking up 2 wire for reverse lights. No check engine lights!!

I will dyno it once I put the exhaust back on and see if there is any big gain on power. Thanks for all the feedback.

Rich@DAFT

Last edited by Daft; 10-20-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-21-10, 12:14 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work Rich from you & your folks at Daft.
Old 10-21-10, 12:30 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the price goes up substantially if you try to do this on a 95-97 or 98-00 ls400, OBDII cars are far less forgiving electronically when you try to swap transmissions out.

afaik the only way to make it really work right is by going standalone.
care to explain more on this, what do you see being a problem , I have a allot of knowledge in this area and i cant see any real problems. The ECU dose not know what gear your in auto or manual. and everything else is either a power or ground to duplicate , Sometimes there is a speed sensor issue to work out.
Old 10-21-10, 12:38 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

and props to the fellas who put one together. After doing a manual conversion my GS i almost did a conversion on my LS, but just couldn't see spending a few more grand on my hoe. Besides a LS will never become any closer to a sports car than a Cressida or even a GS ... Good to see though keep hot rodding alive
Old 10-21-10, 02:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
care to explain more on this, what do you see being a problem , I have a allot of knowledge in this area and i cant see any real problems. The ECU dose not know what gear your in auto or manual. and everything else is either a power or ground to duplicate , Sometimes there is a speed sensor issue to work out.
in the OBDII cars the ECU does indeed know what gear you are in, and how much power you are pushing through it (used in calculations for the VSC) but more importantly, the car will go into a safety mode if it senses something wrong with the transmission. Given the massive number of transmission related DTCs that will pop up if you don't have the oem trans it won't be a fun thing to wire.
Old 10-21-10, 04:16 PM
4U2QUIK
Driver School Candidate

How does it know? all of the asin transmissions I've dealt with have no feedback to the ecu besides VSS and ABS.
Old 10-21-10, 05:39 PM
Daft
Driver School Candidate

I have a good idea.. someone can buy a 96 and newer.. unplug everything, do a 5 speed and see what happens.
Old 10-21-10, 06:32 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
in the OBDII cars the ECU does indeed know what gear you are in, and how much power you are pushing through it (used in calculations for the VSC) but more importantly, the car will go into a safety mode if it senses something wrong with the transmission. Given the massive number of transmission related DTCs that will pop up if you don't have the oem trans it won't be a fun thing to wire.
The vsc works with the body of the car/speed sensors at wheels and tail shaft. The vsc probably throws a signal to the ecu , easily duplicated.

I dont have a pinnout handy of the obd2 ecu but im betting it dose not have any pin outs for each gear.
Old 10-21-10, 10:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

let me rephrase, they know you are IN gear, newer ones wiht CAN will generally know which gear you are in but the first and 2nd gen OBDII cars will at least know you are in gear.

the biggest problem will be with the '98+ cars, which have DTCs PER SOLENOID in the trans.

Quick Reply: Ls400 5spd M/T