LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-02, 09:53 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rotors

Everytime I brake, my brakes feel like they're struggling to hold one but they hold quite perfectly and when I brakes at high speed the car shakes so much that my shift **** goes back and forth....anyone know what's up with my front rotors and what I should Do? Should I get new ones or....? And does anyone know how they go to be like this? Thanks!
Old 07-21-02, 02:23 AM
Supra94Red
Driver School Candidate

sounds like your rotors are warped...replace both front rotors.
rotors get warped by a number of things...not properly tightening
the lugnuts to the right torque is one of the reasons.
the 90-92 ls400 have single piston calipers up front, toyota
changed over to duel pistons in 93 possibly because the
earlier brakes were overheating trying to stop these beasts...
Old 07-21-02, 05:57 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey

My car does the exact same thing. Many peopl have reported the same problem. If you find out how much new rotor are lest us now.

I never new about the single piston vrs the double? ANybody now how much it is to upgrade. Then also is it worth it?
Old 07-21-02, 08:36 AM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

i am going to get new rotors this summer...can i get some slotted rotors???
Old 07-21-02, 09:05 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default shift ****

moving back and forth.

It is VERY unlikely a front braking problem would cause this. More likely some part of the driveline unbalanced improperly torqued, etc.

Turning the front rotors at a skilled high quality shop and Lexus new brakes should fix the front brake problem.

The primary purpose of using slotted rotors is for more braking perfromance in the wet.
Old 07-21-02, 11:08 AM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

i really dont care whats the purpose for them...as loong they work good...i just want it for show....i like those big rotors that are sloted...my cuzin told me he can get a set for his integra for $50 so i dont kno how much a set goes for the lex....does anyone know what kinds are avaible and how much.
Old 07-21-02, 01:06 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default for show

The cross-drilled ones are even more impressive IMMHO.
Old 07-21-02, 08:18 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you should probably look into a master cylinder upgrade too if you are going to get a big(ger) rotor. more "bite" on the disc and it will give you more stopping power...i know you said you liked the way the rotor looks but i think it's jusss safer. its a pressure thing.
Old 07-21-02, 10:14 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe steve ganz has cross slotted rotors for the LS,but I think a set of four ran for about $400 bucks.

I had the shaking **** problem when I had my 18in rims on,now I have my stock tires and the problem has gone away, now I am awaiting my 20in rims and I am waiting to see if it is the cause to my problems.
Old 07-22-02, 07:22 AM
Lvangundy

Yes definetly a rotor issue. I had my front replaced with cross-drilled from Steve Gans and that eliminated most of the vibration and the moving shift **** issue...but my back rotors are still warped and there still is a 'body-roll-pulsation' when I brake going less than 30mph.

The cross-drilled will give you more brake noise, and it looks cool (even though you can't see them with stock rims..) but since I had the car the rotors were warped, I can't say if cross drilled increased my stopping performance or not..If you do want to move to performance braking go cross-drilled + slotted. Also make sure you get performance brake pads.

Like Supra94-red mentioned, the first two years the LS was made it had a crappy braking system. Small rotors with a weak caliper. Either move to a later year LS or swap the braking system if you're looking for a superior to stock break upgrade. =)

just had to fix my mis-spell of 'break'

Last edited by Lvangundy; 07-24-02 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 09:41 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you serious man? I love my breaks they are crazy good! The car is '91 and everything is stock. I tried BMW breaks and I can honestly say that mine are as good (if not better since my car weights more then BMW).
Old 07-22-02, 06:27 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'90 LS - first year
'91 LS - Revision to front brakes and other minor changes
'92 LS - Virtual rerun

Last edited by kreativ; 07-22-02 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-22-02, 06:57 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default braking

Other issues being equal cross-drilled rotors will have less frictional surface area under the pad and so dry climate braking will be slightly less effective. A better set of pads will easily make up the difference.

An associate's 92 LS has 80k miles and has had the front rotors turned, and pads replaced, once. He says he has no complaints about braking effectiveness. My brother's 91 LS has over 100k miles, still has excellent braking, and has gone through the same routine.

But I'm sure that if you drive, and stop, it hard and often the rotors will warp. Lexus replaced a lot of those back in that period.
Old 07-24-02, 12:58 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

Thanks for all the feedback. I knew from the begginning that it was my rotors. So I'm gonna go ahead and get stock rotors from lexus and new brake pads.
Old 07-25-02, 04:02 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The change to the larger rotor for the LS400 came in 1993, along with the 16in wheels. They also came out with duel airbags, and the newer 134R freon.

Many experts who really know the LS400 claim you should try to own a 93 or newer due to these upgrades.

I own a 91 with 127K miles on it. I have spent about 3K general repairs the first few months I owned it. I fell in love with the car, but it needed some repairs that had been due for some time.

Total A/C replacement (both coils) new compressor etc. I also spent tons on having the rear engine seal replaced, front crank seal, cam seals, timing belt, and water pump. I also replaced both hood struts, and had a factory set of keys made which were over 370.00, and only come in sets.
I still need new struts soon, as well as front lower ball joints, and new drive shaft boots on the rear axle.

The car is worth the fix ups and is like new on the inside and outside. It also still has a ton of power and easily reaches 140MPH and was still pulling strong!

Quick Reply: Front Rotors