LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission Throttle Cable Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 10:14 AM
LS400_96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Throttle Cable Adjustment

Hello,

I just put in a transmission and want to adjust the throttle cable attached to the transmission. But I don't understand what it states in the FSM.

In the Lexus manual, it says to measure the distance between the outer cable and the stopper on the cable and have about a 0-1 mm slack. Could someone post a picture of how to do this. I don't know what they mean about the stopper and the outer cable. THe picture doesn't really show how to do this.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-10-09, 08:21 AM
cation
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go:

Name:  adjusttranscable.jpg
Views: 6886
Size:  35.6 KB
Old 06-06-09, 12:29 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to bump this to share my discovery. I had transmission jerk from P to D as well as R. Also between all gears.

I first thought it was trans mount or oil. Changed those but no improvement.

Then I thought it could be the drive shaft bushing etc. But no...

It was this cable that was little too loose. Basically the transmission was thinking car was at lower RPM than it really was, resulting in the jerk. Took 5 minutes. I can barely feel it shifting now.

Very easy to do, as cation said above, there is a stopper on the cable and it should almost touch the cable outer. (<1mm)

This is a must do DIY i think...
Old 06-06-09, 02:03 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the bump Bali26. Have had similar problems like you. Did the adjustment today and now the problems are gone.
Old 06-06-09, 11:42 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish i knew about this earlier, i think my tranny is messedup. Ill keep this in mind
Old 10-02-09, 08:43 AM
lazybummm
Driver School Candidate

Hi All, I'm bringing this back from the dead. I have the same problem with jerking when shifting from park. I followed the guide in the above link and my throttle cable seems to be different. The rubber stopper is stationary on the end and does not move. There is a metal ball or bulge (circled in red in first picture) that is on the cable that does not move. Anyone have any idea? I can pull the rubber stopper off. Here are a couple of pictures. The first one is how it looked "normally" when I pulled the plastic over off the throttle body, the second picture is when I move the rubber stopper. TIA for any help!

Old 10-02-09, 06:19 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

The metal bulge will not move, you have to adjust the cable adjusting nuts to bring it closer towards it. Yours looks way off.
Old 10-03-09, 06:29 AM
lazybummm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bali26
The metal bulge will not move, you have to adjust the cable adjusting nuts to bring it closer towards it. Yours looks way off.
Thanks for the reply Bali. So should I adjust it so that the metal bulge (is this the stopper?) is less than 1mm from the rubber stopper? thanks for your help

By the way, a mechanic just replaced the starter, that's why the transmission throttle cable is off, I just wanted to see if I can fix it before going back there.
Old 10-04-09, 11:34 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

1mm from where cable starts with rubber off.
Old 10-05-09, 05:09 PM
DoktorYes
Rookie

Check out Autospeed.com "Tweaking the Shift" Section:Technical Features; Issue 491 August 1,2008.Great read on,just what you are asking about.I did mine 94LS400,and its back like when it was new,you do not even feel the shift unless you really get on it.
Old 10-06-09, 10:07 AM
lazybummm
Driver School Candidate

I was in a rush sat morning, so I adujsted so that the metal bulge was to just the beginning of the rubber part, everything improved significantly. Now that I have seen the additional responses, I will tighten it up some more when I get back home today. Thanks all! I'll take some more pictures, so others who have questions or who aren't very mechanically incline such as myself can have a dummies guide hehe
Thanks!
Old 07-22-10, 06:56 PM
kuziwk
Driver

bringing up this dinosaur again, i adjusted the cable to what is needed however i can still feel the 1-2 shift, would i need a new mount in this case . Also the cable is seems a little loose the way it fits even though i have it where it should be.
Old 10-14-10, 01:38 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this thread needs bumping. I have same problem. A mechanic messed with the cable when getting to a leaking coolant line. I will readjust it and see how my trabny behaves.
Old 10-14-10, 01:53 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cation
Here you go:

Just did this. When I opened my hood I found out the rubber hose was pulled about an inch. I put it back into metal tubing and no more jerking! Wow glad I didn't listen to mechanic yesterday about how my transmission is going bad. I went in to have tranny fluid drained/filled with toyota t-iv and he's telling me to just drive it til it fails and rebuild. It shifts like almost new again... Now odo is at 208K and I'm ready for another 200K miles!
Old 07-17-11, 06:29 PM
mno221
Rookie

Originally Posted by lazybummm
Hi All, I'm bringing this back from the dead. I have the same problem with jerking when shifting from park. I followed the guide in the above link and my throttle cable seems to be different. The rubber stopper is stationary on the end and does not move. There is a metal ball or bulge (circled in red in first picture) that is on the cable that does not move. Anyone have any idea? I can pull the rubber stopper off. Here are a couple of pictures. The first one is how it looked "normally" when I pulled the plastic over off the throttle body, the second picture is when I move the rubber stopper. TIA for any help!

where is this cable located on a RX300.
mno221

Quick Reply: Transmission Throttle Cable Adjustment