LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 10:45 AM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

I have a 98 LS400 that seems to go dead. I put on jumper cables and the horn alarm system starts beeping and then within a minute the car will start. Prior to this the car is totally dead no lights ,radio, or anything. When I turn the key nothing happens, total silence Could this be a problem with the alarm system. Their is a new battery in the car that is only about 3 months old. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks Jimbo
Old 02-02-09, 11:33 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

jimbo, have you searched in LS400 forums?
Change starter or starter' s kits only? needs expert advice!
P0100 & P0110 car not starting..clicks only.
LS400 starting problem

i had same as your problem , but my problem solved after cleaning battery terminals only.
Here is things you must check:-
1- Clean battery terminlas with baking soda and put some grease jelly on them, check your battery terminals IF they are really tight or no!
2- have your car battery tested maybe its dead battery -->> even if its new batterry.
use google to search more..
http://www.google.ae/search?hl=ar&q=...g+problem&meta=
http://www.google.ae/search?hl=ar&q=...g+problem&meta=
http://www.google.ae/search?hl=ar&q=...lick+only&meta=

maybe alternator is weak, because you may have a leakage in power steering pump which drops oil over your alternator. Have alternator checked. have power steering pump checked also.
Alternator job is to charges your car' s battery.
Old 02-02-09, 12:09 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

clean throttle body also.
Old 02-02-09, 06:40 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo409
I have a 98 LS400 that seems to go dead. I put on jumper cables and the horn alarm system starts beeping and then within a minute the car will start. Prior to this the car is totally dead no lights ,radio, or anything. When I turn the key nothing happens, total silence Could this be a problem with the alarm system. Their is a new battery in the car that is only about 3 months old. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks Jimbo
Yup, they will beat you with the search stick.

Is your car totally stock?
Old 02-03-09, 05:25 AM
jimbo409
Pit Crew

I found out that the battery cable was loose. If you dont use a Lexus battery when replacing the terminals on a die hard or interstate are a little smaller and the cable has to be really tighten. Thanks Everyone for your help. Love this forum
Old 02-05-09, 01:37 PM
qewani1
Lead Lap

How to check your Battery and Alternator
Question: How do I check the battery and alternator to see if all is ok
Answer: Most batteries wear out every 3 to 5 years and need to be replaced. Always replace your battery with an equal replacement battery to assure proper operation.
Automotive batteries have a +positive terminal (red), - negative terminal (black). The battery in this illustration has a protective cover over the positive terminal to prevent short circuit in case of an accident. Electricity is stored in the battery and then supplied to the vehicle when the engine is not running. While the engine is running the vehicles alternator charges the battery for future use.
1. Checking Battery

To check a battery surface voltage remove the positive terminal protective cover. Connect the +positive side meter lead (red) to the positive side battery terminal. Connect the - negative (black) side meter lead to the negative battery terminal. With the vehicle not running and the car sitting over night the battery voltage should be between 12.5 and 12.8 volts.
2. Identify Alternator

The alternator is rotated by a drive belt driven by the vehicles engine while it is running. Electrical voltage and amperage are generated to recharge the battery and supply voltage to the electrical system of the car. The alternator is held in place with mounting bolts. There is a main electrical wire on the rear of the alternator that supplies voltage to a main voltage junction box. If your alternator is not charging properly, your battery will slowly drain down from operating all the electrical systems in your car and stop the car from running.
3. Checking Alternator Output
+
Connect the voltage meter lead the same way you would in a battery static voltage check, Start engine (do not drive) at engine idle the voltage should be between 13.6 to 14.3 volts. If not the alternator may need replacing. The alternator provides electrical power to the battery while the car is in operation. The multi rib belt is the single drive belt that drives the auxiliary systems in your car like the alternator and air conditioning compressor.The car battery stores electrical power in reserve to be used at a later time.

Common Problems:
1. alternator stops producing electrical power and the car stops because the battery dies.
2. battery fails do to age or defect.
3. battery cables become loose causing the electrical system to fail..