LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sparks from Battery! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 10:27 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sparks from Battery! Help?

Well, I have a 99 LS400 and recently had starter problems. Every time I would start my vehicle I would just hear a one click and that was all. I would keep re trying and eventually the car would start

Last night when I started the car there was a loud grinding sound that would not go away so I decided to not drive the car and finally change the starter.

Next morning when i tried to remote unlock the car it did not do anything. I then thought great my battery was dead so i decided to jump it. Once I touched the negative terminal big sparks started flying.

I found a thread about the starter and spark issue but I have never opened the engine up to even get close to the starter!

Need Help Its driven me crazy I tried to find a short every where and I can't find it!
if there is anyone that might now of this problem please let me know. The car have about 90,000 miles now
Old 01-23-14, 10:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you are going to ruin your car! - Stop and think!

the LS400 should never be jump started, and I am not clear from your initial description whether you actually changed the starter?

that is a huge, probably 10 hour job, are you saying you did this job yourself?

as far as the sparks, are you certain the battery cables are oriented correct, and that the battery terminals are oriented correctly, is this the correct battery for the car? - the negative terminal should be closest to the fender!

Not trying to jump down your throat, but this is a delicate electrical system, and if you are getting big sparks, something is quite wrong, so we need to retrace your steps!
Old 01-24-14, 10:31 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

keep in mind starter problems are common on our cars. did you in fact replace the starter already?

first thing to do is to check the fuses, all of them inside the engine bay and under the dash, to see if anything is blown. then report back with details.
Old 01-24-14, 12:21 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
you are going to ruin your car! - Stop and think!

the LS400 should never be jump started, and I am not clear from your initial description whether you actually changed the starter?

that is a huge, probably 10 hour job, are you saying you did this job yourself?

as far as the sparks, are you certain the battery cables are oriented correct, and that the battery terminals are oriented correctly, is this the correct battery for the car? - the negative terminal should be closest to the fender!

Not trying to jump down your throat, but this is a delicate electrical system, and if you are getting big sparks, something is quite wrong, so we need to retrace your steps!
No I did not change the starter it is the original starter
I know I'v changed it on my 94 LS400
Yes, The terminals are in the right place
Old 01-24-14, 12:23 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
keep in mind starter problems are common on our cars. did you in fact replace the starter already?

first thing to do is to check the fuses, all of them inside the engine bay and under the dash, to see if anything is blown. then report back with details.
original starter never changed
All of them are in working order, if there was a blown fuse there wouldn't be a short just a fuse that would keep blowing instead.
Old 01-24-14, 12:30 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

hmm how is your power steering? our cars have problems with the power steering pump leaking onto the alternator and causing it to fail. it is very possible the alternator is shot causing your problems. check the fluid level of your power steering. the alternator is located directly under the PS pump. the alt may need to be removed to be checked for functionality.
Old 01-24-14, 12:43 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
hmm how is your power steering? our cars have problems with the power steering pump leaking onto the alternator and causing it to fail. it is very possible the alternator is shot causing your problems. check the fluid level of your power steering. the alternator is located directly under the PS pump. the alt may need to be removed to be checked for functionality.
all the fluids are at the correct level
Old 01-24-14, 12:47 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Just removed the ALT Fuse the spark still comes out
Old 01-24-14, 01:30 PM
TruongJL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a possibility you have shorted out your ALT and Starter.
the loud grinding noise you heard was the burnt starter gear not retracting from the fly wheel.
with that being said change out your starter then check your alternator.
dont crank it anymore for you could short out the computer
Old 01-24-14, 01:32 PM
TruongJL
Driver School Candidate

changing out the starter isnt tough but it is time consuming. i just changed one out in 3.3 h
wasnt bad if you got the right tools and knowlege
Old 01-26-14, 04:45 AM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by TruongJL
There is a possibility you have shorted out your ALT and Starter.
the loud grinding noise you heard was the burnt starter gear not retracting from the fly wheel.
with that being said change out your starter then check your alternator.
dont crank it anymore for you could short out the computer
Well hopefully it didn't do anything to the computer but i did drive it for a block up then down.
I Disconnected the starter wire and no spark after hooking it up so you were right it is most probably the starter

Originally Posted by TruongJL
changing out the starter isnt tough but it is time consuming. i just changed one out in 3.3 h
wasnt bad if you got the right tools and knowlege
Yea I bought the tool after i replaced my 94's starter, PITA to do it without tool. lol

Also, I found a wire that is cut. Its going from bottom to top and inside the + terminal plastic covering. I couldn't find the other edge its maybe about .5 to 1 cm thick and the color is black with a grey line on the sides
Old 01-26-14, 02:15 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

It is very possible that the starter itself is not bad, just check the big heavy power cable going to the starter for a short against the frame, engine, or some other ground source!
Old 10-16-22, 05:54 AM
TCL99Lexus
5th Gear

it could be the brush at the starter motor rather than the contacts on the solenoid valve. In most cases, the contacts go before the brush. However, the brush will go at the end. Since the removal of the whole unit takes the same steps and time, I would replace the whole brush and contact sets at the same time. Or get a rebuilt unit to save time.
Old 10-17-22, 07:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TCL99Lexus
to save time.
Wow. I could have saved some time by looking at the date this thread was started, 8 years ago. I'm pretty sure the original poster would have it fixed by now.
But either way, the only reason I think the battery would spark so bad is if ya hook up the jumper cables backwards. We've all done it before. Younger days.
Old 10-17-22, 05:05 PM
TCL99Lexus
5th Gear

Originally Posted by deanshark
Wow. I could have saved some time by looking at the date this thread was started, 8 years ago. I'm pretty sure the original poster would have it fixed by now.
But either way, the only reason I think the battery would spark so bad is if ya hook up the jumper cables backwards. We've all done it before. Younger days.
All I have is time as I Thank you for your concern. All I have now is time as I have finished my project. It is very interesting to look at what other people's problems and learn from there.

Last edited by Yamae; 10-17-22 at 05:41 PM. Reason: ] was missing and to add it at the final quoting part