LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)

Old 06-18-16, 08:05 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by python
go for sundown subs
Old 06-18-16, 08:09 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

how did you get the amp housing like that nice trunk set up @ls400life
Old 06-19-16, 08:07 AM
SeanSinha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hitachi
ok but with new speakers wouldnt those new speakers Alone sound new? it still sounds like those speakers are the bust ones i changed out.. are u saying if i were to change the front components the rear ones will all of a sudden get fixed? the problem i have is that the speakers i changed still sound bad even if they were changed. those speakers alone. i know your talking about an all around uppgrade n that the rears make no difference as an over all.of course the fronts is what ill be hearing the most of but why would new speakers still sound like the old busted ones.. for those with first gen ls400s usually need a separate amp for the speakers just to get it to sound not tinny?
I still don't know a thing about your sound system.

Which head unit? Any amps? The stock HU sounds like crap with aftermarket speakers a lot of the time because it was tuned and designed for the stock 4" speakers.

Can you tell me more info about your sound system? That's what I was asking. If you install new speakers and they sound as crappy as the old ones, it sounds like a source or wiring issue.
Old 06-19-16, 12:37 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeanSinha
I still don't know a thing about your sound system.

Which head unit? Any amps? The stock HU sounds like crap with aftermarket speakers a lot of the time because it was tuned and designed for the stock 4" speakers.

Can you tell me more info about your sound system? That's what I was asking. If you install new speakers and they sound as crappy as the old ones, it sounds like a source or wiring issue.
there really isnt much to say about it, honestly just started with the sound system upgrade. everything is stock, all i upgraded was my head unit n got a double din kenwood and changed both door speakers to 4inch infinity reference ones
Old 06-19-16, 01:08 PM
SeanSinha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hitachi
there really isnt much to say about it, honestly just started with the sound system upgrade. everything is stock, all i upgraded was my head unit n got a double din kenwood and changed both door speakers to 4inch infinity reference ones
It sounds like you may want to look into your wiring and consider running new wire to your door speakers. Make sure your head unit is grounded properly.

Those speakers should be fine with HU power. If your sound is crap, regardless of the speakers you use, I'd double-check my wiring and grounds from the deck.

Also, if the stock sub isn't being used due to running an aftermarket head unit, you're going to have no bass, whatsoever. At all.
Old 06-19-16, 01:29 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeanSinha
It sounds like you may want to look into your wiring and consider running new wire to your door speakers. Make sure your head unit is grounded properly.

Those speakers should be fine with HU power. If your sound is crap, regardless of the speakers you use, I'd double-check my wiring and grounds from the deck.

Also, if the stock sub isn't being used due to running an aftermarket head unit, you're going to have no bass, whatsoever. At all.
the sub woofer in the back has sound coming out of it so it should be working . though that also has to be replaced i plan on replacing it as well.. thats also what i was thinking as the problem for the wiring... but well see if need be after the front door speakers are replaced.

other than the head unit what else should be checked if grounded ?
thanks
Old 12-13-16, 03:24 PM
tseliottt
Driver School Candidate

Got a 98 LS400 with nav, and want to replace the head unit with this: http://www.sony.com/electronics/in-c...etails_default

So I just need to buy a non-nav HVAC unit, Beatsonic SLA-22, along with the Sony unit and everything should be pretty much plug and play?

I also want to replace the stock sub in the near future. The Sony head unit says it has 3 pre outs, which I'm assuming are the 2 RCA outs and subwoofer out seen here: https://fccid.io/AK8XAVAX100

So can I simply disconnect the stock sub, and plug in an aftermarket amp+subwoofer to the sub out?
Old 12-13-16, 04:16 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by tseliottt
Got a 98 LS400 with nav, and want to replace the head unit with this: http://www.sony.com/electronics/in-c...etails_default

So I just need to buy a non-nav HVAC unit, Beatsonic SLA-22, along with the Sony unit and everything should be pretty much plug and play?

I also want to replace the stock sub in the near future. The Sony head unit says it has 3 pre outs, which I'm assuming are the 2 RCA outs and subwoofer out seen here: https://fccid.io/AK8XAVAX100

So can I simply disconnect the stock sub, and plug in an aftermarket amp+subwoofer to the sub out?
It's already discussed here. SLA-22 is not for your purpose.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...got-to-go.html
Old 12-13-16, 06:20 PM
tseliottt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
It's already discussed here. SLA-22 is not for your purpose.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...got-to-go.html
Thanks so much for that, don't know how I missed it. I read a bunch of threads on the subject, and I was certain everyone was saying all you needed was the SLA. Gues it's back to the drawing board.
Old 05-15-17, 07:39 PM
smacame
Driver School Candidate

Just posted with some pics of my upgrade: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...o-upgrade.html

Thinking about tearing out the CD player in the upper glovebox to get the space back.
Old 05-16-17, 01:17 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keeping my audio system as is but only because the previous owner's daughter was unable to "science the hell out of it" first lol.
Old 10-11-17, 03:23 PM
Stanislav
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi. Sorry if it was already written about that, didn't found in this thread.
I have second gen facelift '99 with OEM touchscreen. I need somehow to use USB flashdrive. Normally I woud just throw out stock headunit and insert some aftermarket radio like Alpine. Unfortunately in this car it's not just radio, it's also a climate and other settings in it, so I can't just take it out. Also I didn't found any USB adapters for this model which connects via CD-changer, like Yatour for BMW.
Do you have any solutions for that?

Mine headunit is same like in pic below.
Old 11-05-17, 02:25 PM
Stanislav
Driver School Candidate

Can I just put simple non-touchscreen climate control unit from older LS? All mounts and connectors fits?
Old 11-05-17, 08:34 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanislav
Can I just put simple non-touchscreen climate control unit from older LS? All mounts and connectors fits?
The answer for the first question is No. You need one from the same generation.
Mounts and connectors fit for the climate control unit.
Problem is to install any audio unit. It was a time consuming job for me.
Old 11-06-17, 08:50 AM
Stanislav
Driver School Candidate

Same generation you mean any UCF20 95-00, or only facelift 97-00?

Audo install will be no problems, because I'll change everything, including cables

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)