LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

first post: timing belt (???)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 07:57 AM
domestikde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first post: timing belt (???)

Please forgive me if this has been covered a lot, I did a little bit of looking around and couldnt find much info. Anyways Im Chris. I myself dont actually own a Lexus, I have a Pontiac. My grandmother however does ('92 LS400 Sedan) and shes asked me to change her timing belt and look into a few electrical issues for her.

I went outside and looked at the engine and its a V8 RWD. From what I gather its a 32 valve motor. Is that 2 cams or 4? Also how hard is it to replace the T-belt? From what I can tell its not too different than most other engines Ive worked on. With the accessories removed Ill prolly have more than enough room to work. Im guessing that the timing belt is cogged and there'll be markings on the gears to set them correctly when I put the new belt on? Any tips/pointer will appreciated. I rarely work with foreign vehicles however, when you get down to it, engines all work pretty much the same way anyways dont they?

Thanks in advance...
Chris

Damnit....my screen name is supposed to be DomestikDemon...

Last edited by domestikde; 03-02-08 at 07:58 AM. Reason: forums chopped my s/n
Old 03-02-08, 08:07 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

heres a step by step tutorial to change the T belt... http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html
you can also change your name by going to the site suggestions/problems in the forum index...its the forum all the way on the bottom under the regional groups.
Old 03-02-08, 08:10 AM
domestikde
Driver School Candidate

Also heres the electrical bugs

*A/C*
Stereo (cd player/radio/nothing works)
remote mirrors
keyless entry

these may be something as simple as a fuse, I havent looked yet but if any common problems are known with these systems please point me in the right direction. From what she described with her radio though it sounds like a short somewhere, Im 100% on that.

The AC im not sure if that electrical or something else...last summer a mechanic completely disconnected it for her becuase it would have cost too much for her at the time to get repaired. Im giving you guys all the info i have, I know its somewhat vague.

Again tho, thank you guys(gals too )
Old 03-02-08, 08:14 AM
domestikde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
heres a step by step tutorial to change the T belt... http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html
you can also change your name by going to the site suggestions/problems in the forum index...its the forum all the way on the bottom under the regional groups.
Wow thank you...thats quite handy. So its a good idea to go ahead and replace the water pump while im at it?
Old 03-02-08, 08:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by domestikde
Wow thank you...thats quite handy. So its a good idea to go ahead and replace the water pump while im at it?
Defenately a good idea, the water pumps on our vehicles are prone to failing, and once you have the timing belt removed, the water pump is basically there. The only problem is, Lexus does not use a water pump gasket, instead you have to use sealant, and its a pain in the **** to clean the old sealant.
Old 03-02-08, 08:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by domestikde
Also heres the electrical bugs

*A/C*
Stereo (cd player/radio/nothing works)
remote mirrors
keyless entry

these may be something as simple as a fuse, I havent looked yet but if any common problems are known with these systems please point me in the right direction. From what she described with her radio though it sounds like a short somewhere, Im 100% on that.

The AC im not sure if that electrical or something else...last summer a mechanic completely disconnected it for her becuase it would have cost too much for her at the time to get repaired. Im giving you guys all the info i have, I know its somewhat vague.

Again tho, thank you guys(gals too )
I'd look into anything the mechanic has disconnected, and check the fuses.
Old 03-02-08, 10:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

x2 on the fuses.
Old 03-02-08, 12:04 PM
ewenpg
Driver

I just did a timing belt/waterpump change so if you have any questions let me know.