LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Traction control button not working!!!

Old 10-23-07, 11:08 PM
turbochris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control button not working!!!

Hey all
I just bought a 1994 LS400 last friday and everything on the car works great. But the other day i pressed the (Traction control off) button and it would not light up or work. So of course i get on here and search and could not find a fix for it. So i had some time and ran over to the salvage yard and grabbed 2 more buttons to see if they would work........no deal. The problem is, i think i should here or feel the button "stick " in kinda like the seat heater button. But none of the 3 buttons i have click in and stay. I was wondering if any one else has ever had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it? Is this button suppose to click and stay in the same as the seat heater button? I was planning on doing some mod's to this car and a need to turn off the traction control.

thanks
chris w
Old 10-24-07, 02:18 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may not be the switch but probably the line to the ECU from the switch...see if you cant grab a whole new line from the salvage yard.
Old 10-24-07, 03:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ugh, before you make yourself crazy, maybe its just the light bulb that burned out in the cluster (happened to me with the ect indicator).
Old 10-24-07, 10:44 AM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Ugh, before you make yourself crazy, maybe its just the light bulb that burned out in the cluster (happened to me with the ect indicator).

I will pull it out and check.........i mean i was screwing around with it yesterday and i was able to line lock the car in a parking lot. But then i wasnt sure if it was on or off. I need to pull the cluster out and check that bulb.....thats pretty easy. Do you know if that light comes on when you first start the car?......because mine does not come on at all.....ever. I was hoping that maybe the ecu runs a check on it and then it goes off....kinda like the (ABS) and (check engine) do. If anyone has traction control could you check this for me?

thanks
chris w
Old 10-24-07, 05:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbochris
I will pull it out and check.........i mean i was screwing around with it yesterday and i was able to line lock the car in a parking lot. But then i wasnt sure if it was on or off. I need to pull the cluster out and check that bulb.....thats pretty easy. Do you know if that light comes on when you first start the car?......because mine does not come on at all.....ever. I was hoping that maybe the ecu runs a check on it and then it goes off....kinda like the (ABS) and (check engine) do. If anyone has traction control could you check this for me?

thanks
chris w
As a matter of fact, if you disconnect your MAF for instance, you will get a check engine light, followed by TRAC light.
Old 10-25-07, 06:48 AM
fst4dr91
Driver School Candidate

yes the trac off light next to the o/d and the ect light should come on when you turn the key to the on position and should go off shortly after you start the engine

the " trac " in the middle of the speedo should only come on if you loss traction

right ?
Old 10-25-07, 10:49 AM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by fst4dr91
yes the trac off light next to the o/d and the ect light should come on when you turn the key to the on position and should go off shortly after you start the engine

the " trac " in the middle of the speedo should only come on if you loss traction

right ?

ok thanks............ mine does not come on at all ....ever. I am going to call the dealer and see if i can get a new bulb for it. I will update if that was the problem.

chris w
Old 10-25-07, 01:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

ok thanks............ mine does not come on at all ....ever. I am going to call the dealer and see if i can get a new bulb for it. I will update if that was the problem.

chris w
Just pull the cluster out, and replace the bulb, they are sold in autozone for like 99 cents.
Old 10-25-07, 01:27 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey all
I just bought a 1994 LS400 last friday and everything on the car works great. But the other day i pressed the (Traction control off) button and it would not light up or work. So of course i get on here and search and could not find a fix for it. So i had some time and ran over to the salvage yard and grabbed 2 more buttons to see if they would work........no deal. The problem is, i think i should here or feel the button "stick " in kinda like the seat heater button. But none of the 3 buttons i have click in and stay. I was wondering if any one else has ever had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it? Is this button suppose to click and stay in the same as the seat heater button? I was planning on doing some mod's to this car and a need to turn off the traction control.

thanks
chris w

Just as a note, TRAC buttons never stick because it reverts back ON when the car is restarted. Unlike the PWR button which stays on all the time. Its part of design logic.

It seems like your lightbulb is burned out... had that on the SC's PWR button.