LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

interference v. non-interference

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 09:45 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interference v. non-interference

what, if any, are the advantages to the consumer in building anything other than a non-interference engine? why did lexus go from non-interference to interference engines?
Old 10-10-07, 10:03 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A quick google search found me this site:

http://www.leemyles.com/articles/int...ing-belts.html

In a nutshell:

Valves open further in an interference engine and project further into the combustion chamber than in a 'free-running' engine. This allows outside air at atmospheric pressure flow faster into the combustion chamber through the larger valve opening. The engine can therefore inhale more air, be a little smaller, and still create as much power while reducing its manufactured cost and also guaranteeing future repair business for its dealer.
Old 10-10-07, 01:22 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

thanx for your posting. that is an awesome article you linked to. it really explains this situation.
Old 10-12-07, 06:50 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by denverdog
thanx for your posting. that is an awesome article you linked to. it really explains this situation.
Hey no prob... I learned something myself!
Old 10-12-07, 07:22 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

I've actually wondered this myself too... great article!
Old 10-12-07, 07:25 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year did they do the switch? Was it as soon as VVTi was introduced? The timing belt would be so much more important in the latter ones.
Old 10-12-07, 09:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
What year did they do the switch? Was it as soon as VVTi was introduced? The timing belt would be so much more important in the latter ones.
95 was the first year with interference motor, Lexus changed the head design to tease ~10more hp out of the motor.
Old 10-12-07, 12:26 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This thread will be locked if it turns into another fist fight, please, lets keep it civil.
Old 10-12-07, 12:44 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
This thread will be locked if it turns into another fist fight, please, lets keep it civil.
sarcasm???
Old 10-12-07, 10:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

o.O what did i miss

how ya been Grand?
Old 10-13-07, 07:38 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

the increase in compression also has much to do with it. the pistons in the interference engines are larger at the top, more like a dome, to ikncrease the comp. this is actually why the valves would hit in the lexus.

timing chains are also not maintenance free. they will stretch over time, causing loss of cam timing (power/efficiency). also, the chains have to be designed with tensioners and guides, wihc are usually made out of plastic on any modern engine. this plastic wears out over time causing noise, chain slack and even "catastrophic engine failure".
Old 10-13-07, 08:54 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrong thread maybe? It has been kept relatively stable and professional in this thread

Originally Posted by 19psi
the increase in compression also has much to do with it. the pistons in the interference engines are larger at the top, more like a dome, to ikncrease the comp. this is actually why the valves would hit in the lexus.

timing chains are also not maintenance free. they will stretch over time, causing loss of cam timing (power/efficiency). also, the chains have to be designed with tensioners and guides, wihc are usually made out of plastic on any modern engine. this plastic wears out over time causing noise, chain slack and even "catastrophic engine failure".
You are completely correct about the maintenance on that, everything wears out regardless of it's strength. I completely forgot that VVTi uses chains rather than belt.

Also, how does the use of a chain enable the VVTi feature? And what did Toyota/Lexus do for VVTi? I know that Ferrari uses a slanted camshaft which is able to move laterally to alter the lift, but I don't suppose Toyota did that too?
Old 10-15-07, 06:55 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

vvti came out in 98 i believe. they still using timing belts though. vvti is enabled by the use of adjustable cam sprockets and hydraulic solenoids activated by the ecu. at the required time, the ecu sends a signla to the solenoids, which then use oil pressure to move the cam sprocket which then changes cam and thereby valve timing.
this is independent of the use of a timing belt or chain. other mfrs. use a chain and still enable variable valve timing through the same type of system.
Old 10-15-07, 10:27 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

it isn't worth the risk for a measly 10 hp.
Old 10-15-07, 12:42 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by denverdog
it isn't worth the risk for a measly 10 hp.
what isn't?

Quick Reply: interference v. non-interference