LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

NOT your typical vibration q!-- weird...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 01:38 PM
jcolegrove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT your typical vibration q!-- weird...

hi all,
i've searched.... found nothing like this.
92 LS- good shape, 130k.
when sitting still, turn the wheel and there is a slight shudder/vibration coming up thru the wheel. does it both ways. like 2 peices of rubber rubbing each other. does it maybe half the time. fluid is full- new pump 18 mo. ago, no weird noises.... thoughts? thanks.
Old 09-19-06, 02:24 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. It happens intermittently. I've learned to live with it. Basically it feels like your tires are rubbing for a few degrees of your turn at slow speeds, and then it dissapears.
Old 09-19-06, 03:04 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I have that mystery rubbing as well. Does anyone have any idea what it could be????
Old 09-19-06, 03:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

try this, in N or P rev the motor up to ~900/1000 rpm and then try turning the wheel.

ive noticed that sometimes the pump seems underpowered when the engine is idling since it idles fairly low @ 650rpm.
Old 09-19-06, 06:41 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have that too! what is it? i thought my power steering pump was goin bad. ergh!
Old 09-19-06, 09:13 PM
austxlexus
Rookie

It is either low on fluid or just the age of the pump. My 95 4runner has been doing it for the last 4 years or so and yet the pump is still good. My 94 LS does it from time to time, so I think it is a "toyota pump" issue.

I just add some more fluid when it happens more often and it gets rid of it.
Old 09-20-06, 08:53 AM
fisher9720
Driver School Candidate

I mean, check the obvious, check the PS level.... It could be a little low.. Even though you just had the pump replaced, that doesn't mean the rack doesn't have a slow leak in it and you might have to add a little PS fluid...

I have to add some after my car sits for the winter, but if you use it all the time, is should stay level... Check the rack under the drivers's side and see if that seal is oily..
Old 09-20-06, 12:09 PM
jcolegrove
Driver

so low fluid is the vote....
my fluid is fine and i've become paranoid in checking it.
the 'rubbing/vibration' appeared a year after replacing pump and was never there with prior pump. i don't think it's a pump issue... don't know why, but i don't. feels more mechanical.... don't know....
Old 09-20-06, 12:41 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

All I know is mine does it and the PS level is fine.
Old 09-21-06, 03:18 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

My 93 does this as well from time to time.
Old 10-05-09, 10:34 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread, but I didnt want to start another one to clutter up things.

Well, add another to the list, as I have the exact same issue on my 1991 LS400 with 223K miles.

It only started this about a month ago, just after I started having the "smoking on startup" issue from the leaking idle-up valve. I also had a leaky return hose and my car did run low on PS fluid on more than one occasion to the point where it would whine and I am wondering if that damaged the pump to a degree causing this. I have since plugged the idle-up valve (no more smoke) and replaced the leaky return hose, but the "shudder" on low speed turns remains.

Its hard to explain, but what the others above have described is exactly how my car does and it is FULL of fluid. I have checked it several times to make sure its not leaking and its not anymore.

As long as its not anything major, I am not worried with it. I was just worried that it was the rack going bad, but no one seems to relate a bad rack with this issue, so maybe its OK. I can live with it. It only does it occasionally and at low speed turns then.
Old 10-06-09, 01:37 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Solution:

Check the reservoir for the screen, look for a clogged or damaged one. You can test your system by simply pulling the screen out, and observe if the steering feeling is much better or not. Some techs simply pull the screen, and LEAVE IT OUT, to please the customer.

There is a filter on both the solenoid of the steering rack, AND a filter within the reservoir as well. Both can cause this issue.

Important sub-info.

Some Lexus models used a two stage power steering pump and a seal goes bad inside the pump resulting in the pump bypassing internally and not building pressure below 1100 RPM, but above 1100 RPM, the second stage of the pump kicks in and gives good assist. Some remanufactured pumps are having a lot of problems with this seal leaking. The problem typically shows up after the rack is replaced due to a tighter sealing rack requiring more pump pressure for the rack to operate properly.
Old 10-06-09, 04:19 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Now if I can now only find detailed info on how to remove and clean the screen in the power steering pump.

I found info on how to do the steering rack screen... hope the other is not as involved as this.

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Solution:

Check the reservoir for the screen, look for a clogged or damaged one. You can test your system by simply pulling the screen out, and observe if the steering feeling is much better or not. Some techs simply pull the screen, and LEAVE IT OUT, to please the customer.

There is a filter on both the solenoid of the steering rack, AND a filter within the reservoir as well. Both can cause this issue.

Important sub-info.

Some Lexus models used a two stage power steering pump and a seal goes bad inside the pump resulting in the pump bypassing internally and not building pressure below 1100 RPM, but above 1100 RPM, the second stage of the pump kicks in and gives good assist. Some remanufactured pumps are having a lot of problems with this seal leaking. The problem typically shows up after the rack is replaced due to a tighter sealing rack requiring more pump pressure for the rack to operate properly.
Old 10-06-09, 04:43 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have access to the teardown procedures, just the diagnostic solutions to common and not-so-common issues through hotline call notes.

you can always just try what you know, and see if that solves the problem.