LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine won't start... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 11:57 AM
youforia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine won't start... HELP!

My 1994 LS400 engine will not start. The engine turns over just fine and it sounds just like a normal start but nothing happens -- it just keeps turning. I checked each coil by hooking a spark plug to a new spark plug wire and grounding against the engine block, but I got no spark on either side when starting the engine. I took a spark plug out after trying to start a few times but the bottom didn't look wet and didn't really smell like gas at all... any ideas? Is my engine computer bad or something? Would an ODB code help out in this situation? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-22-05, 12:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by youforia
My 1994 LS400 engine will not start. The engine turns over just fine and it sounds just like a normal start but nothing happens -- it just keeps turning. I checked each coil by hooking a spark plug to a new spark plug wire and grounding against the engine block, but I got no spark on either side when starting the engine. I took a spark plug out after trying to start a few times but the bottom didn't look wet and didn't really smell like gas at all... any ideas? Is my engine computer bad or something? Would an ODB code help out in this situation? Thanks in advance for your help!
do you have a check engine light on? if so you need to check to see what code comes up. when did this start?make sure your battery connections are tight. if your not getting any spark it could be that your crankshaft position sensor is unplugged or no good anymore. when you yurn your key the CPS sends a signal to the ignition module which in turn sends a signal to the coils so the spark plugs can fire and if the CPS isnt working then you wont get any spark. then again your coils or your ignition module could be bad(your spark plug wires too) be sure to make sure your battery is in good condition first. try these things and get back to us
Old 09-22-05, 01:11 PM
youforia
Driver School Candidate

Thank-you very much for the suggestion. I will try and get that information for you. In the meantime, is the crankshaft position sensor easy to get at? How do I locate it? Maybe I can clean it off or something? Thanks!
Old 09-22-05, 02:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Thank-you very much for the suggestion. I will try and get that information for you. In the meantime, is the crankshaft position sensor easy to get at? How do I locate it? Maybe I can clean it off or something? Thanks!
jackup the car and remove the engine under cover and you should beable to see it on the left side of the crankshaft looking up
Old 09-22-05, 05:42 PM
youforia
Driver School Candidate

The check engine light was on when I had the key in the ON position. I tried to jumper E1 and TE1 but the check engine light just kept flashing -- there were no pauses at all... the car was in neutral and I had all accessories off. The battery was disconnected for a long while before I tried this... do I need to try and start the car or something to get the error codes set or does that mean that there are no errors? Again, my car won't start, so I don't know if the check engine light stays on after the car has started. The spark plug wires I was using to test with were brand new.

Last edited by youforia; 09-22-05 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 06:25 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

The check engine light was on when I had the key in the ON position. I tried to jumper E1 and TE1 but the check engine light just kept flashing -- there were no pauses at all... the car was in neutral and I had all accessories off. The battery was disconnected for a long while before I tried this... do I need to try and start the car or something to get the error codes set or does that mean that there are no errors? Again, my car won't start, so I don't know if the check engine light stays on after the car has started. The spark plug wires I was using to test with were brand new.
try it again and remember to connect the terminals b4 you put the car in the on position and try leaving the car in park. by the way have you tried staring your car in neutral?
Old 09-22-05, 07:30 PM
youforia
Driver School Candidate

It worked this time and I'm 99% sure I was getting a code 12... any ideas?
Old 09-23-05, 07:18 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

It worked this time and I'm 99% sure I was getting a code 12... any ideas?
try this site off-road.com/toyota/tech/coeds
Old 02-07-06, 11:46 AM
youforia
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow-up

After my last post I replaced all spark plug wires in my car -- that did not fix my issue. When I brought it to my local mechanic, he narrowed it down to the cranshaft position sensor. Apparently, according to him, a critter had eaten through the CPS harness, and so to fix it, he repaired the harness.