Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

RX 300 Lamp Replacement Guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 10:23 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lamp Replacement Guide

Check out the SYLVANIA Lamp Replacement Guide.

Here's the part numbers for cross reference.

Low beam headlamp
Part number = 9006

High beam headlamp
Part number = 9005

Parking light
Part number = 168

Front turn signal
Part number = 7440

Rear turn signal
Part number = 7440

Tail light
Part number = 7443

Stop light
Part number = 7443

High mount stop light
Part number = 921

Fog/Driving lights
Part number = 9006

License plate
Part number = 168

Back up light
Part number = 7440

Front sidemarker
Part number = 194

Rear sidemarker
Part number = 194

Glove box
Part number = 74

Dome light
Part number = DE3175

Step/Courtesy light
Part number = 2825

Enjoy...

Last edited by Daddy-O; 05-18-02 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roop10 (02-04-22)
Old 05-12-02, 12:43 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, i used the very same thing for changing my bulb's. Very useful
Old 01-27-05, 07:57 PM
Wheel0217
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 sidemarkers

99 RX300....three side markers out of 4 out. Any clue as to bulb access??
Old 07-18-13, 01:39 AM
Vockroth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daddy-O
The front and rear turn signal bulbs should be 7440A not 7440. "A" is denotes amber but even this information is wrong. I just replaced all the bulbs on the rear of my 2001 RX300. I was surprised to find that the turn indicator bulbs had a Bayonet base. Figures I opened the new bulbs package before I found the bulbs are different. I ended up using 1156A.

The Owners Manual/Section 6-4/Replacing Light Bulbs page 301 even calls for 7440 not 7440A.
The following users liked this post:
Roop10 (02-04-22)
Old 07-18-13, 01:52 AM
Vockroth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wheel0217
99 RX300....three side markers out of 4 out. Any clue as to bulb access??
How to Change the rear side marker light Member jhuang2668 Post #10
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ker-light.html

In this post he has included a DIY Side Markers lights RX300.pdf.
Old 09-24-17, 08:23 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Sorry for bringing back such an old post but is there a special technique to get at that front "parking" light. I think that is what they call the top most light closest to the side of the car. Also is there a trick to getting at the fog light? A screw appears to be there that blocks you from twisting it out and its somewhat blind down there. I tried unplugging what seemed like the power cable but i don't want to break anything going on blind.
Old 02-03-22, 11:28 AM
rdaught
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bulb information is incorrect...

Sorry for bringing back an even older post but I believe some info here is incorrect.
Earlier the post states that the tail light and the stop light use the same bulb (7443), I believe this is incorrect.
Bulb 7443 has two filaments while bulb 7440 has a single filament.
The two filament bulb is used so that the same bulb that is on when the lights are on can also be used when the brake light is triggered. How does it perform this dual function? By having 3 wires on the harness; one common wire and then one that is for normal operation (lights) and one that is for braking.
If you look at the wiring harness for the lights you'll see that the tail lights harness only has two wires while the brake light harness has three wires; so the two wired harnesses (tail lights) are used with a single filament bulb (7440) while the three wire harnesses are used with the dual filament bulb (7443).

This was a pain when I switched my 2000 RX lights to the more updated look of the 2002+ lights from a Pick-A-Part and found that the previous owner had the incorrect bulbs installed and they had melted some of the insides of the lens. Plus the bad brake light indicator will light if the bulbs aren't correct.

Hope this helps someone else out.

By the way, to get at the front "parking light"/side marker this is how I do it: (from memory)
(You don't have to remove the wheel - I didn't even have to turn it and I have 18" wheels.)
Remove the two 10mm bolts in the wheel well keeping the liner in (one near the top front and the other near the bottom front)
Remove the 2 or 3 phillips screws one the fender near the front up to the center of the wheel well holding that side of the liner in.
Remove the 10mm bolts under the vehicle holding the liner in place there.
You can now adjust the liner (pull out the front edge by the fender) so that you can get your hand behind the side marker.
The bulb is in at an angle pointing towards the front of the car not flush pointing towards the side of the car like the rear side marker, so when you twist the bulb assembly counter clockwise to remove (you'll be doing this blind) keep that in mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by rdaught:
Margate330 (02-03-22), Roop10 (02-04-22)
Old 02-03-22, 11:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by rdaught
Sorry for bringing back an even older post but I believe some info here is incorrect.
Earlier the post states that the tail light and the stop light use the same bulb (7443), I believe this is incorrect.
Bulb 7443 has two filaments while bulb 7440 has a single filament.
The two filament bulb is used so that the same bulb that is on when the lights are on can also be used when the brake light is triggered. How does it perform this dual function? By having 3 wires on the harness; one common wire and then one that is for normal operation (lights) and one that is for braking.
If you look at the wiring harness for the lights you'll see that the tail lights harness only has two wires while the brake light harness has three wires; so the two wired harnesses (tail lights) are used with a single filament bulb (7440) while the three wire harnesses are used with the dual filament bulb (7443).

This was a pain when I switched my 2000 RX lights to the more updated look of the 2002+ lights from a Pick-A-Part and found that the previous owner had the incorrect bulbs installed and they had melted some of the insides of the lens. Plus the bad brake light indicator will light if the bulbs aren't correct.

Hope this helps someone else out.

By the way, to get at the front "parking light"/side marker this is how I do it: (from memory)
(You don't have to remove the wheel - I didn't even have to turn it and I have 18" wheels.)
Remove the two 10mm bolts in the wheel well keeping the liner in (one near the top front and the other near the bottom front)
Remove the 2 or 3 phillips screws one the fender near the front up to the center of the wheel well holding that side of the liner in.
Remove the 10mm bolts under the vehicle holding the liner in place there.
You can now adjust the liner (pull out the front edge by the fender) so that you can get your hand behind the side marker.
The bulb is in at an angle pointing towards the front of the car not flush pointing towards the side of the car like the rear side marker, so when you twist the bulb assembly counter clockwise to remove (you'll be doing this blind) keep that in mind.
Good catch!
Old threads don't bother me at all.
It's not like helpful goes obsolete and sometimes people want a fresh look on older topics especially current availability of parts, tools, and techniques.
Old 02-04-22, 07:10 PM
rdaught
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sorry, I got it wrong. Must have been half asleep...

Originally Posted by Margate330
Good catch!
Old threads don't bother me at all.
It's not like helpful goes obsolete and sometimes people want a fresh look on older topics especially current availability of parts, tools, and techniques.
The description of 7443 vs 7440 is correct BUT the brake lights and the tail lights (5 lights including the center light which uses a different bulb altogether) all use the same bulb 7443. 7440 is used by the turn signals and backup lights.
My bad....