Fix Faded Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 10:01 AM
Steve Barnes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix Faded Headlights

Hi

My ES suffers from faded headlight covers where the sun has made them go a horrible cloudy color.

I decided maybe i should get another set of headlights until I saw the post in the SC forum and spotted a topic on how to clean your headlights.

I would like to post my tip on how to clean up your headlights and have them immaculate.

All i used was a rubbing compound otherwise known in the UK as T-Cut. Basically it is a rubbing compound used for paintwork which takes a very fine layer of paint and on headlights it works a treat! Also if your center interior console is scratched this also works a treat! Brings that plastic wood up beautiful.

My lights now look brand new! And those projector lights look awesome when thing are clear!

thank goodness for T-Cut!

steve
Old 10-13-01, 08:07 AM
yov6cam
Driver

I'm gonna try that, but does it last? I use this tire shine thing, makes it really clear...until it rains
Old 10-13-01, 09:33 AM
Steve Barnes
Lead Lap

It sure does.. in theory it takes a small layer of plastic off.. very small amount... and the haze from which the sun makes it fade is gone... may last a year or two.. but it only takes a few miutes per light.

Try doing a tester on the very top first... I did... when i could see the difference i did the whole light..

it has made me very happy as the lights really spoilt the car because of the faded lights.

now new.. just wish i had taken a before photo shot and after so i could post it.

Tire shine i use on my Fenders and skirts... brings it up very nicely...

steve
Old 10-13-01, 09:48 AM
yov6cam
Driver

Cool, I thought I was the only one who uses the tire shine on my fenders:eek: BTW you know if I can get them at a local Home Depot here in US?

Last edited by yov6cam; 10-13-01 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-13-01, 10:15 AM
Steve Barnes
Lead Lap

BTW you know if I can get them at a local Home Depot here in US?
Just ask for rubbing compound.. it is the same as T-CUT here. T-Cut is just a brand name... you want the finest compound you can find.

Not quite sure if you call it rubbing compound in the U.S but if you explain its for taking a fine layer off the paintwork then should know what it is called.

Another thing i used this for is when my local Lexus garage backed into another car and put a mark on my fender. They used a rubbing compound for a few minutes and it was gone.. no trace of the scratch at all.

But like i said earlier.. make sure you do a test on the very top of the light in case it is a bit harsher then my compound.