Sponsored by:

A few issues with my AVIC install

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 05:14 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few issues with my AVIC install

Ok so I FINALLY got around to installing my AVIC700 today. Everything went well, but I'm having 2 issues.

Due to the annoying alternator whine I decided to power all the speakers off of the head unit and bypass the amp. I ran 2 sets speaker cable from the back speakers to the head unit and soldered them to the proper wires on the power harness for the Pioneer and those are fine no alternator whine at all WOOHOO lol. Now the front speakers I had to use the RCA inputs for because I'm not sure how I should run the new lines, which brings me to issue #1.

#1 How can route new speaker cables from the doors to the back of the unit?

#2 I'm having a grounding problem...........I think. I hooked up the Mute, Parking brake and ground near the passengers kick panel. I sanded it down to silver metal and used a 10mm screw to secure it. Everytime I hit a bump a loud static noise comes over the speakers, what can I do to fix this? I'm not using tape or butt connectors I solder all my connections then cover them with shrink tubing, so I dont think there is a loose wire anywhere. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Oh on a side note, ever since i finished the install and went for a drive I get shocked everytime I touch the body of the car......................
Old 04-15-09, 03:16 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-09, 11:46 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Well I fixed the grounding issue, but I still have yet to figure out how in the hell to run the wires from the doors to the head unit . I tried feeding it through the the rubber harness, but that was a waste of about 45 minutes there is no way to feed it through there. So what I'm thinking about doing is slicing the rubber harness, feeding the speaker cable through and taping it back up......................is that a bad idea?

For those of you who ran speaker wires from the doors, how did you do it?
Old 04-15-09, 04:50 PM
phollero
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Well I fixed the grounding issue, but I still have yet to figure out how in the hell to run the wires from the doors to the head unit . I tried feeding it through the the rubber harness, but that was a waste of about 45 minutes there is no way to feed it through there. So what I'm thinking about doing is slicing the rubber harness, feeding the speaker cable through and taping it back up......................is that a bad idea?

For those of you who ran speaker wires from the doors, how did you do it?
Open the interior door panel and fish the wires from the speaker through the rubber grommet and into the car. Check out this link with tons of pictures - it's not your model but may help you see how to remove the panel. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...tml#post802171

I am also installing an AVIC and I found the VSS wire but I can't seem to make the power antenna connection to work. I was reading you have to splice two wires from the radio harness together and connect them to the antenna lead on the new head unit but I'm not sure which two antenna wires (there are 3 for the GS300 1st gen) to hook up.
Old 04-15-09, 07:43 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phollero
Open the interior door panel and fish the wires from the speaker through the rubber grommet and into the car. Check out this link with tons of pictures - it's not your model but may help you see how to remove the panel. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...tml#post802171

I am also installing an AVIC and I found the VSS wire but I can't seem to make the power antenna connection to work. I was reading you have to splice two wires from the radio harness together and connect them to the antenna lead on the new head unit but I'm not sure which two antenna wires (there are 3 for the GS300 1st gen) to hook up.
Thank you trying to help, my issue no matter how hard I try to fish the speaker wire through the rubber gromit between the door and the body I can not get the speaker wire to go more than a few inches before it gets stuck.

judging by needing the VSS hook up you must be installing the 900?
Old 04-23-09, 06:31 AM
VirtuousE
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you trying to help, my issue no matter how hard I try to fish the speaker wire through the rubber gromit between the door and the body I can not get the speaker wire to go more than a few inches before it gets stuck.

Trust me he's telling you the correct approach, you might want to try using some electrical tape...tape the wires to a dull coat hanger and force the wires thru the body of the car and rubber grom
Old 04-27-09, 03:08 PM
phollero
Pole Position

Yes, I installed an Avic F-90BT. I am still having problems getting the antenna to go up. Were you successful in getting the power antenna to go up and down with the radio? I was reading that you had to connect the Antenna +B lead to the head unit power antenna lead but it doesn't seem to work for me. I will double check my connections.
Old 04-27-09, 09:35 PM
branflan
Driver School Candidate

I installed a F700BT in my 99 SC300 with pretty much no problems. I did not have to connect two wires together to get the power antenna to work though. It was a smaller plug with only three connections that had the wire that worked. With the headunit on I probed all connections until I found the one that made the antenna go up. As for getting wires through the boot in the door, it wasn't that hard. I scrunched up the boot as small as possible and used some liquid soap as lube and got a coat hanger with a hook on the end through. Once through I put the wire on the hook and bent it closed. I doubled up the wire and pulled through two pair for mids/tweets.