IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need help choosing tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 08:02 PM
dmc61403
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing tires

I've been running on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for the last year and a half or so and I really like them. Just bought a new pair for the front back in the spring. Now the rears are in need of replacement and I've been eyeing the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, can get all four to my door for about the same price as the two rear Michelins. I know one is an all season and the other a summer tire, but what do you guys think? Having a hard time making up my mind.
Old 08-14-17, 10:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,299 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...500-tires.html

Lou
Old 08-15-17, 03:29 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, my response may be a bit off topic regarding the Indys, but, I'll share a general experience with you that has me never again swaying from Michelins.

Last year I bought a set of Continental DW sports on clearance for very cheap, less than 700$, because they were being discontinued for the new model. I figured what the heck, Contis are standard on a lot of cars and these have always gotten good reviews. Initially, I thought I had made a good choice. Tires weren't quite as responsive as the Supersports they replaced, but they were competent and comfortable.

HOWEVER, within literally just 2-3k miles, these tires are unbearably loud, while the Supersports were never loud, even at the end of their service life! Now my car literally sounds like I am in a hurricane when I am driving, noise winding up and down with speed, truly intolerable and next spring I will likely get rid of them for 4S or Supersports.

So, while not a direct review on the Indys, I've just given up on non-Michelin tires. Every time I stray I pay!
Old 08-15-17, 06:30 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I have had the Indy 500's (R 275/35/19 F 245/40/19 on OEM 2012 wheels) tires for about 300miles now and so far I am mostly satisfied with them. I have noticed as others, that they need to smooth out if sitting for a while. The ride however still does not seem to be quite as smooth as the old PS2's I had. I still need to get an alignment check so that may make a difference. I don't really drive aggressively on the street so for me the tires are fine enough. Haven't taken them to the track and I'm not sure I will, as the setup I have is a bit larger than stock so probably not as good as OEM anyway. I was looking more for a decently priced daily driver with a slightly softer ride than the stock size tires. I think for that purpose these fit the bill at a very good price point.
Old 08-15-17, 08:28 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I would love to hear more about the Indy 500's. After a bad experience with the PSS where the end of life performance was less than desireable, I have become a return fan of Bridgestone S-04s and am currently running those. As I understand it, the Indy 500 is a re-branded Bridgestone tire. So, based on Tire Rack reviews and price, the Indy will likely be my next choice. If you try them, best of luck. If not, I hear the new Michelin Sport 4S tires are great if you don't mind paying for them.
Old 08-15-17, 08:39 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

You are comparing apples and oranges. I would not mix the two different tires as it will lead to unpredictable handling. There will be differences in traction, sidewall stiffness, and response to temperature. I can't comment on the Firestone's as a tire. Generally going from an all season to a summer only tire will bring you better traction and handling performance.
Old 08-15-17, 09:00 AM
dmc61403
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
You are comparing apples and oranges. I would not mix the two different tires as it will lead to unpredictable handling. There will be differences in traction, sidewall stiffness, and response to temperature. I can't comment on the Firestone's as a tire. Generally going from an all season to a summer only tire will bring you better traction and handling performance.
Thanks guys for all the responses. If I end up going with the Firestones, I'll be buying all four corners, staying with Michelin A/S I'll only replace the rears since the fronts were replaced back in the spring.
Old 08-15-17, 09:58 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Originally Posted by Helo58
I would love to hear more about the Indy 500's. After a bad experience with the PSS where the end of life performance was less than desireable, I have become a return fan of Bridgestone S-04s and am currently running those. As I understand it, the Indy 500 is a re-branded Bridgestone tire. So, based on Tire Rack reviews and price, the Indy will likely be my next choice. If you try them, best of luck. If not, I hear the new Michelin Sport 4S tires are great if you don't mind paying for them.

Isn't end of life performance less than desirable by virtue of the fact that it is "end of life" performance?
A negative review on the PSS is a rare bird, indeed. I think my end of life PSS were better than my newborn Contis
Old 08-15-17, 09:59 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I have had the Firestone's on for probably a few thousand miles now. I have zero complaints. One of the best bangs for your buck you are going to find. We have had a dry summer so have yet to drive on them in the wet, but based on all the reviews I read, they should do just fine. Obviously they are a summer tire. I would hope that you wouldn't be considering driving these in extreme weather conditions.

I plan to pull mine for winter, but have every intention of driving on them in the wet seasons.
Old 08-15-17, 10:01 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a screw get into my 6-year-old OEM Dunlop run-flats in my 2011 GS 350, and the tire could not be repaired. The front tires were at 9/32, and remaining back tire was 7/32 and the new one would have been $350 and at 11/32. Since none of the tires can vary by more than 2/32 (based on what two tire shops told me and what I read on this forum), I couldn't get just one tire. I had to buy four new ones around or find a way to shave down the new tire to match the 9/32 on the front ones. I opted to get from Discount Tire to get a set of Pirelli Cinturato p7 All Season Plus. I cannot describe the difference in sound (so incredibly much quieter) and the huge improvement in handling. They made me a good deal. What I should have done is instead of turning in my old tires, I should have tried to sell them--online they probably had a value of about $400-$500.
Old 08-15-17, 10:33 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Isn't end of life performance less than desirable by virtue of the fact that it is "end of life" performance?
A negative review on the PSS is a rare bird, indeed. I think my end of life PSS were better than my newborn Contis
Don't get me wrong, the PSS is a great street tire, but when I pushed the PSS hard, it didn't seem to heat cycle (after several hot/cold cycles they tend to lose their grip) well. Mine got "greasy" feeling and unpredictable at the limit, a trait I didn't see earlier in the life of the tire. Grip and performance with the Bridgestone has seemed to be more consistent with age under the same set of driving conditions. I never feel like they are going to completely let go like the PSS did. Given the weight of our car and the size of the tire, maybe they overheat more easily at the limit?
Old 08-15-17, 11:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Well, my response may be a bit off topic regarding the Indys, but, I'll share a general experience with you that has me never again swaying from Michelins.

Last year I bought a set of Continental DW sports on clearance for very cheap, less than 700$, because they were being discontinued for the new model. I figured what the heck, Contis are standard on a lot of cars and these have always gotten good reviews. Initially, I thought I had made a good choice. Tires weren't quite as responsive as the Supersports they replaced, but they were competent and comfortable.

HOWEVER, within literally just 2-3k miles, these tires are unbearably loud, !
Guess you didn't read this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

Originally Posted by Helo58
Check out the link I posted above for more info on the Indy 500. I am also a fan of the Bridgestone Potenza S-04.

Lou
Old 08-15-17, 06:50 PM
Jz39
Advanced

^^^Yep. Must've missed that one...all ELEVEN pages!!

I don't even think I had 3k on them before they started to "sing" as you so conservatively put it!

Thankfully I didn't pay much for them on clearance, but I'm also tired of this kind of thing. I don't feel like dealing with such nonsense. Especially since I'm still pissed at my clunking Project Mus....
Old 08-15-17, 08:28 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

^^^Yep. Must've missed that one...all ELEVEN pages!!

I don't even think I had 3k on them before they started to "sing" as you so conservatively put it!

Thankfully I didn't pay much for them on clearance, but I'm also tired of this kind of thing. I don't feel like dealing with such nonsense. Especially since I'm still pissed at my clunking Project Mus....
Are you still dealing with the clunking on your pads? What's the next step? Will the vendor replace your pads yet?
Old 08-16-17, 03:20 AM
Jz39
Advanced

^^^Well, I installed the oem clips/pins kit and it made no difference. At this point I feel beaten and have just been living with it. I enjoy driving my 13 YEAR OLD G35 coupe with Brembos that doesn't clunk over dips!

I don't know what to do next step--I really like the NS400s, but what if I get another set and they are just as bad? Even more time wasted... I'm starting to feel like I should just give up and accept it and then try again when I need new pads. I've become programmed to apply slight brake pressure when going over uneven dips to keep them from clunking.

Thankfully the Continentals that I spoke of in this thread are on my G, so I've got one car with clunking brake pads and one with tire roar....great.