LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help with (quiet) tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 11:13 PM
leboose
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with (quiet) tires

Hi, I've been looking at our tires lately and they're getting to a point of no return So I casually started checking out what to get next. I tried searching on google, tried searching on the forum, but all I can dig up are old posts that refer to a tire that isn't made anymore, or a very broad recommendation (Our Michelins are great!). I'm looking for quietness and comfort first. I've currently installed the dealership provided Dunlop SP4000 tires - so I would be wanting something that's better than those if possible. To make the matter even more confusing to me, I've read that the wrong tires could wreck the LS's ride quality (apparently they're picky ). Thanks for the help!

EDIT:
Providers:Tires:
  • Michelin Premier A/S ($736)
  • Michelin Defender T + H ($684)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus ($660)
  • Pirelli Cinturato P7 ($596)
  • Continental TrueContact Tour ($560)

Last edited by leboose; 02-24-19 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 04:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm planning on getting the Pilot Sport AS3+'s. Even though our cars are not performance cars, the tires they came with are so called performance tires, i.e. above touring. The trade-off is wear. The Premier by Michelin are the so called internet slam dunks, but it bothers me that they start at 8.5/32 and not 11. Had a lengthy discussion with my buddy who has them, as does my wife. It is amazing that the Premiers would run almost $1000 today, way too much for an old car imho.

Also you can likely get the tires at Costco for about the same. Where I live we have the benefit of either picking up online tires, or, Costco, and getting them tax free, which on $1000 is better than nothing...with online that eliminates shipping...

PS AS3+

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0&autoModClar=
Old 02-24-19, 04:25 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by leboose
Hi, I've been looking at our tires lately and they're getting to a point of no return So I casually started checking out what to get next. I tried searching on google, tried searching on the forum, but all I can dig up are old posts that refer to a tire that isn't made anymore, or a very broad recommendation (Our Michelins are great!). I'm looking for quietness and comfort first. I've currently installed the dealership provided Dunlop SP4000 tires - so I would be wanting something that's better than those if possible. To make the matter even more confusing to me, I've read that the wrong tires could wreck the LS's ride quality (apparently they're picky ). Thanks for the help!
I installed the Michelin Premier A/S as the last set of tires I purchased before I sold the car. I put over 25K miles on them during my ownership. They were the quietest and smoothest tires I had on the car. And I had Lexus 18 inch rims.

Randy B
Old 02-24-19, 04:26 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The PSAS3 did not last long and wore terrible on my LS I know I have some spring sag but my Perelli's have worn much better and I have put on more miles. I hope yurs wear better than mine
Old 02-24-19, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Another consideration is price....PSAS3+ are 25% cheaper than the Premiers, and the treadwear is 17% less per Michelin (arbitrary and could be even more than 17% less, like 30%, yes, but 500 vs. 600, keeping in mind UTQG can only be used across the same brand), and is considered a higher performance tire. My buddy got 27k on his Pirelli Scorpions which is why he decided to try the Premiers. Now on his 2nd set, he said he doesn't like the appearance either like me, that it looks worn out, but you say hey Ive only got 30k and Michelin says its still as good as new. My buddy got 50k, shot, and then pro rata warranty into another set. I think Michelin designed it that way.

It's probably the trend where tires no longer look meaty and they start at 8.5/32. My theory is why sell a 60k tire that actually goes 80k? From the sellers standpoint, that is leaving money on the table. Give the customer less tire, if they get 59,999.9 that is the best, if they get 50k, we'll give them a $100 credit to a new set, which boosts sales...
Old 02-24-19, 07:31 AM
barges
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Hankook ventus noble tyres put on last week. They are quiet and have a smooth ride didn't see much point in paying more for performance tyres.
Old 02-24-19, 12:23 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Very happy with my Pirelli P7s 20k miles later.
Old 02-24-19, 01:08 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Check out one from Continental or Pirelli. I use them on my Benz SUV, very quiet tires.
Old 02-24-19, 01:32 PM
leboose
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses. Someone said they use Continental tires which made me go look at their offering. They seem to have a pretty good and fairly priced tire called TrueContact Tour.
I'm running stock wheels and really don't need anything sporty. Thread wear seems decent, performance (steering feel) too. I'll report on how they feel
Old 02-24-19, 03:47 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Tirerack.com has all sorts of shopping tools which answer questions like this. You can even have them sent to your favorite local installer.
Old 02-24-19, 03:57 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Tirerack.com has all sorts of shopping tools which answer questions like this. You can even have them sent to your favorite local installer.
You can even call them and ask. It may sound old fashioned, but it's an older co. that was around long before the internet (wasn't dot com in their name). My mom ordered tires from them when she was young. She would dial an 800# and then read her CC over the phone. They love talking about tires, not a joke.
Old 02-24-19, 04:01 PM
leboose
Rookie

Yes, I used their compare feature, however in this day and age I remain skeptic towards reviews by vendors. And it goes in the other direction too - plenty of people who got a lemon feel perfectly fine judging the whole brand on one pair of tires (or anything else tbh). I've since bought them, but just out of curiosity - is there anything else besides tirerack and amazon?
Old 02-24-19, 04:48 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Think of them as a youtube channel with a lot of subscribers. mfgs give them tires to test, they'll mount 6 different tires on a BMW 3 series, etc. etc. Nobody here, not one person, has the ability to do that. So anything you hear here, is, subjective. the really safe bet is Michelin Premiers, but man imho they cost way too much for a car this old, and are not a value proposition. You could go the other way and get a Kumho. I've had 3 sets on my Maxima, not really much to say good or bad. Heck, I have made in China tires on my car now (well they are in the shed the winter tires are on). 2 1/2 years ago I got comments "I wouldn't risk my family's life on those." Well, knock on wood, nothing ever happened. They are just fine and online about $80 each, the other extreme. Mavis sells them too...
Old 02-24-19, 05:04 PM
jaxkxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus.
Old 02-24-19, 08:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by leboose
Yes, I used their compare feature, however in this day and age I remain skeptic towards reviews by vendors. And it goes in the other direction too - plenty of people who got a lemon feel perfectly fine judging the whole brand on one pair of tires (or anything else tbh). I've since bought them, but just out of curiosity - is there anything else besides tirerack and amazon?
My absolutely #1, favorite, and ONLY tire shopping source, is RIGHT HERE! ---> Discount Tire Direct . com

They have absolutely AMAZING customer service. (I'm supposedly VERY difficult to please), and they have a wonderful optional "road hazard" policy called "Certificate For Replacement" if you want peace of mind. Note to you...if you're very prone of frequently pickup nails in the tread, have a beginner/teenage girl drivers in the house, or simply if you're a bad driver and are prone to hitting curbs and blowing out tires, or have a crazy EX-gf or EX-bf or EX-mistress who slashes your tires, the "Certificate For Replacement" add on is for you!!! (Only exclusion is irregular tire wear from out of alignment suspension.)

They ship to your favorite tire installer, for free also.

Not once but TWICE in the last ~10 years of me maintaining 5 different cars, I've called to complain about tires not sufficiently achieving their rated mileage. They simply asked me to take pictures of the tread, and pro-rated/credited new tires for me. They never asked for the old tires to be shipped back either.

I don't promote certain companies or vendors very often, but they have completely earned my business, probably for life.

The cherry on top is they frequently are the lowest price seller for the tire as well!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 02-24-19 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with (quiet) tires