IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Another reason for me to hate these #&@^#! headlight washers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 04:22 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Another reason for me to hate these #&@^#! headlight washers!

I already felt these were a silly, generally useless option.. Now I really hate them. The few times I've used the windshield washer while the lights were on, I got pissed off because the headlight washers sprayed fluid all over my nice clean hood & fenders... Since then, I've been careful about doing that after recently washing the car.

Anyway, I was installing a front splitter today, and guess what? Yup, I drilled right into the supply line for the passenger side headlamp washer! I never even considered there might be some line with fluid in that area.. Though, I was somewhat relieved when I got over the initial shock of some mysterious fluid dripping from my bumper & realized what it was..

Anyone familiar with the layout inside the bumper before I pull it all apart to repair? Rather than replace the damaged line, I'm tempted to just disconnect it & seal it off from the reservoir (if that's possible). For now, I removed all the fluid from the reservoir & get to enjoy the warning light on my dash for awhile

On the bright side, the cheap eBay splitter (Bayson R) looks pretty good..

-Mike

Old 05-14-17, 04:30 PM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if anyone actually removed the whole system altogether because I feel that the headlight washers are so useless. A lot weight would probably be saved just getting rid of it.
Old 05-14-17, 04:51 PM
JPxMODz
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I already felt these were a silly, generally useless option.. Now I really hate them. The few times I've used the windshield washer while the lights were on, I got pissed off because the headlight washers sprayed fluid all over my nice clean hood & fenders... Since then, I've been careful about doing that after recently washing the car.

Anyway, I was installing a front splitter today, and guess what? Yup, I drilled right into the supply line for the passenger side headlamp washer! I never even considered there might be some line with fluid in that area.. Though, I was somewhat relieved when I got over the initial shock of some mysterious fluid dripping from my bumper & realized what it was..

Anyone familiar with the layout inside the bumper before I pull it all apart to repair? Rather than replace the damaged line, I'm tempted to just disconnect it & seal it off from the reservoir (if that's possible). For now, I removed all the fluid from the reservoir & get to enjoy the warning light on my dash for awhile

On the bright side, the cheap eBay splitter (Bayson R) looks pretty good..

-Mike

I posted my concerns about this possibility a few weeks back with zero feedback from here. I knew those ******ing hoses were there and I'm simply amazed that no one besides yourself has drilled or screwed into those lines. I installed my BaysonR about a week ago. I did carefully drill into the underside until the bit just penetrated the plastic. Then I put one screw in at a time and checked placement by putting my hand up inside the bumper. Everything went fine, however there was at least two screws right next to that hose and I mean right againt the side of the hose. So I can see how easily it would have been to hit it. Still shocked that your the only one that has done this, or at least admitting to doing yours. I'm just sorry I never posted my findings before you did this. Also the screws that are included from BaysonR are way longer than needed. Although that wouldn't have changed anything in your case as that hose in sitting right on the bottom of the inside of the bumper. I also opted to use stainless hardware for install verses BaysonR included screws
On a side note, nice to see you installed it correctly. Seen where some guys installed this thing completely upside down. No kidding

Last edited by JPxMODz; 05-15-17 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
mikersoft (05-16-17)
Old 05-14-17, 06:37 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just plug the line at the exit of the washer fluid tank . Unplug the pump and your done. It doesnt take you a lot to get pissed lol
mikersoft (05-16-17)
Old 05-14-17, 08:59 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

lol and sorry for your trouble.
I removed the button for the washer when I installed my Apexi and radar volume kill switch. I had hit it before on accident and got the hood spray... Now the button is in my tool box with a few other unnecessary bits they had on this car.

Lip looks good.
Old 05-15-17, 03:07 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I too screwed into that hose and as an emergency temp fix I wrapped electrical tape around the puncture to stop the leaking. That was 3 years ago, my bootleg fix is still holding strong.

Last edited by Vervish; 05-15-17 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-15-17, 06:14 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
If it matters any, there's a modification you can do to have the headlight washers act independently of the windshield wipers. This way, they only work if you press the dedicated button, which is nice if you at least want to keep the features on your car functional (even if you don't use them).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post2299117
The following 2 users liked this post by Lets Drive:
mikersoft (05-16-17), Vervish (05-15-17)
Old 05-15-17, 02:50 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I disconnected the plug going to the pump on the washer fluid tank.
mikersoft (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 05:33 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alizia
I wonder if anyone actually removed the whole system altogether because I feel that the headlight washers are so useless. A lot weight would probably be saved just getting rid of it.
I plan to take the bumper off this Friday to check it out.. If it's not too complex to remove that stuff & shed some weight, I may do so..

-Mike
Old 05-16-17, 06:40 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Front splitter looks pretty good.
Old 05-23-17, 05:54 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

I was running short on time preparing for my track day trip to PA over the weekend.. So, rather than remove the front bumper to disconnect it from the main reservoir, I decide to do a quick-fix since the car was already up on jack stands.

-Mike

By removing the large front under tray, I was able to get enough access to the area

My original plan was to disconnect the hose at the far end, and use some plastic heat shrink tubing to repair the hole.. However, I realized I didn't have any heat shrink large enough to fit over that hose

Therefore, "Plan B" was put into action with materials I already had on hand.. This silicone adhesive sealant & duck tape

Old 05-23-17, 06:34 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL Mike!

you also could of just went to the parts store and bought one of those help packages with the vacuum T's. They have 2 ways in them or sell them as well. Just cut it at the puncture pop it in there and use zip ties as clamps. Hooah
Old 05-23-17, 08:41 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

That fix looks much better than my wrapping electrical tape around it until it stopped leaking... That will hold up well.
Old 05-24-17, 03:32 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Justin727
LOL Mike!

you also could of just went to the parts store and bought one of those help packages with the vacuum T's. They have 2 ways in them or sell them as well. Just cut it at the puncture pop it in there and use zip ties as clamps. Hooah
Good idea, but as I mentioned, I was short on time before my road trip to PA.. I wanted to get it repaired quickly so I didn't have to look at the "low washer fluid" warning all weekend..

-Mike
Old 05-25-17, 03:48 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Headlight washers....what will they think of next???

I guess if if you never, ever washed your car they could come in handy....I don't think I've ever looked at my headlights and been like, "man, those headlights are opaque with dirt".