IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need Help! After Market Sub & Amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 06:43 PM
richie4414
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! After Market Sub & Amp

I recently had an Alpine MRX-M110 amp (1100W) and two 12w3v3-4 JL subs installed. If I play a hip hop song with strong bass, it sounds great until I turn it up the sound level to around 48 to 52, then it sounds as if the subs are hitting an octave or two higher than what the notes should be. I'm assuming it has to do with the preset equalizer programmed into the system.

I was hoping to see if anyone has run into this problem or knows how I can help resolve this issue.

I live in Utah and no one seems to have an answer. I will be heading to So Cal (Orange County) in April and if anyone knows a shop who could help me out that would be great too, thanks in advanced.
Old 02-24-16, 08:34 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

use the low pass filter (LPF) on your alpine amp. Then you can dial in to which frequency you want it to roll off at so you don't pick the higher frequencies which you don't like.
Old 02-25-16, 01:51 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What part of Utah do you live? I've seen two F's driving around. I'm in Pleasant Grove, UT.
Old 02-25-16, 02:03 PM
richie4414
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlam86
use the low pass filter (LPF) on your alpine amp. Then you can dial in to which frequency you want it to roll off at so you don't pick the higher frequencies which you don't like.

My LPF is already set to 80 Hz, and I dont believe that that is my problem because at a high volumes I loose all of my low notes. Thats not how a LPF is supposed to work.
Old 02-25-16, 02:05 PM
richie4414
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mortis101
What part of Utah do you live? I've seen two F's driving around. I'm in Pleasant Grove, UT.
I live in Farmington, I saw one Obsidian F last October, at the Layton Hills mall. Pretty sure if was either an 08 or 09 due to the rims.
Old 02-25-16, 03:08 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by richie4414
My LPF is already set to 80 Hz, and I dont believe that that is my problem because at a high volumes I loose all of my low notes. Thats not how a LPF is supposed to work.
No, that's not how a LPF works.

What do you have your gain and bass set to?

It sounds to me like you're talking about the subs clipping or they're out of phase from each other and not meant to be like in a compound setup.
Old 02-25-16, 04:16 PM
richie4414
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
No, that's not how a LPF works.

What do you have your gain and bass set to?

It sounds to me like you're talking about the subs clipping or they're out of phase from each other and not meant to be like in a compound setup.
Initially installed the gain was set to zero and the bass on the equalizer on the head unit was mid way. I turned the head unit down to zero and still did the same thing. I bought a control **** for amplifier and turned it up and down and it would turn the bass up and down and it still would do it when it was turned up really high.

The subs are rated at 500 W RMS and around 1000 W peak for each sub. And the amp is rated at 1100W RMS so each sub is getting the right amount of power.

I don't see how them being out of phase would cause this?
Old 02-25-16, 05:01 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in Farmington, I saw one Obsidian F last October, at the Layton Hills mall. Pretty sure if was either an 08 or 09 due to the rims.
I worked out there for a coue of months in 2014. Saw the obsidian several times on base and once off base. It was a blond woman driving I believe.
Old 02-25-16, 05:30 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Initially installed the gain was set to zero and the bass on the equalizer on the head unit was mid way. I turned the head unit down to zero and still did the same thing. I bought a control **** for amplifier and turned it up and down and it would turn the bass up and down and it still would do it when it was turned up really high.

The subs are rated at 500 W RMS and around 1000 W peak for each sub. And the amp is rated at 1100W RMS so each sub is getting the right amount of power.

I don't see how them being out of phase would cause this?
Is it a stereo or mono amp? How are the subs wired?

The bass almost completely disappears if you have two subs out of phase from each other (unless it's designed that way or you get extremely lucky) while at the same time you'll still get the vibration. It's easy enough to check. Just switch the wires on one of the subs going to the amp so long as it's in stereo. If it's a mono amp you'll probably need to pull a speaker and check inside the box.

Sorry, it's been years since I thought about my car stereo days and I have no idea of your knowledge base.
Old 02-25-16, 05:40 PM
richie4414
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lmood
I worked out there for a coue of months in 2014. Saw the obsidian several times on base and once off base. It was a blond woman driving I believe.
That's sweet, what years is yours? I work out on base and I haven't seen that one on there yet.
Old 02-26-16, 07:07 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem. I get "normal" bass until I crank it up a little bit then it becomes "extra loud" and it's not something you can listen to. Like just big bass not music.

I tried working with the filters but couldn't reach something great. My amp is wired with the signal from the oem amp and I also have a dial to adjust it.
Old 02-26-16, 11:12 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's because the ML system is set up to lower bass as volume increases to protect the 8" stock sub. So you need a signal line prior to the NAV system, where the signal lines come out and you probably tapped into.

I may not be articulating this too well, but search this forum because there are many threads about this with solutions that will fix the problem fo shizzle
Old 02-27-16, 03:55 PM
richie4414
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
It's because the ML system is set up to lower bass as volume increases to protect the 8" stock sub. So you need a signal line prior to the NAV system, where the signal lines come out and you probably tapped into.

I may not be articulating this too well, but search this forum because there are many threads about this with solutions that will fix the problem fo shizzle
I saw some forums and saw they suggested the JL Cleansweep to help assist with this problem. I asked a few JL authorized dealers locally if that is what I should do and none of them seemed very confident in what direction to go. So I was trying to gather some more info here, but ill keep searching thanks.