IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wheels on wrong side - does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:00 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheels on wrong side - does it matter?

Serious question....every time I see a thread with someone's stock 08-09 wheels on the wrong sides, there are 4-5 people that comment that they must be switched... is this a necessity? Is there any proven performance degradation due to the wheels not being on the correct side? I understand that the rear and front wheels have different offsets, so rears should not be in the front, and vice versa.
Old 04-08-13, 11:26 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

If the blades are facing the wrong direction then the heat from the brakes will be "fan"ed back into the brakes of our cars which causes the heat to go substantially higher and eventually catch on fire.

Also the suction of the blades will be reversed causing your car to degrade in drag coefficient and making it really unstable in speeds above 40mph and possibly cause you to go in an uncontrollable drift until you hit a unsuspecting pedestrian which will put you in jail for 8 years to life where you meet "Bubba".
Old 04-08-13, 11:30 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

So in other words..................................it doesn't matter if the wheels are on the wrong sides.
Old 04-08-13, 11:31 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
If the blades are facing the wrong direction then the heat from the brakes will be "fan"ed back into the brakes of our cars which causes the heat to go substantially higher and eventually catch on fire.

Also the suction of the blades will be reversed causing your car to degrade in drag coefficient and making it really unstable in speeds above 40mph and possibly cause you to go in an uncontrollable drift until you hit a unsuspecting pedestrian which will put you in jail for 8 years to life where you meet "Bubba".
HAHAHAHAH best response EVER!

And yes, it doesn't really matter
Old 04-08-13, 11:36 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ +1 for truth. Can't stress it enough to have the wheels on their correct sides.

On a serious note, other than from the above effects, it just doesn't look right having the fan blades facing in opposite directions when viewing the car from the side.

So unless that doesn't bother the owner.. it really doesn't matter.
Old 04-08-13, 11:43 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I knew it......an ISF looks like an ISF.......amazing. So I could care less about the wheels being on the wrong sides
Old 04-08-13, 11:51 AM
JT1K

The other day my car went real fast in reverse, down the driveway
....could barely stop it.
Old 04-08-13, 11:54 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Aside from F members knowing they're on the wrong side, I don't think it makes a huge difference. I just prefer to keep them on their original side just because I'll get weirded out if it's not. Though, when debating to get new tires or just switch from right to left and vice versa, I've seen F owners either get new tires altogether instead of switching sides.
Old 04-08-13, 12:15 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

hahaha on sarcasm.
Old 04-09-13, 01:25 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget tires are directional.
Old 04-09-13, 01:35 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Don't forget some tires are directional.
fixed for you
Old 04-09-13, 01:45 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

The more people tell me that my wheels are on the wrong side, the more I want to just leave it that way because they're bothered by it...and I like it when I'm able to bother them.
Old 04-09-13, 02:00 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

When I read the title of this thread, my response was going to be "it only matters to the internet know-it-alls who want to make a point" but I like the below response so much better.

Old 04-09-13, 04:38 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Are the 2010/2011 wheels directional as well? Or it just applies to the 2008/2009 model years?
Old 04-09-13, 05:05 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^No they're not directional like the earlier wheels are. See chart attached.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Wheels on wrong side - does it matter?-isf-wheels.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheels on wrong side - does it matter?