Official Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE! - Page 10 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Official Blackstone UOA Thread - Post Your UOA HERE!

Old 01-12-18, 12:31 PM   #136
Leander311
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest View Post
So, can someone bottom line this thread?I read it all and the other one.

Did some damge their engine going 10k plus with the yzza4? Was that only with non sysnthetic?

What are the conclusions? Wix oil filter and m1ep are good for 10k?
Results are still pending... Some of us are trying M1EP and the RLI recommended in the other thread to compare them. I've chosen to stick with the TRD filter since I'd already picked up several of them.

I'm currently a bit over 7.5k on my M1EP with a couple track days and will changing/testing soon, then trying the RLI for a similar mileage.
Leander311 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leander311 For This Useful Post:
Greatest (01-12-18)
Old 01-12-18, 01:22 PM   #137
Greatest
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander311 View Post
Results are still pending... Some of us are trying M1EP and the RLI recommended in the other thread to compare them. I've chosen to stick with the TRD filter since I'd already picked up several of them.

I'm currently a bit over 7.5k on my M1EP with a couple track days and will changing/testing soon, then trying the RLI for a similar mileage.
Thanks. Look forward to hearing your results.

Just looking around on the Bob is the oil guy site and those guys seem pretty confident in the Blackstone lab. I’m not doubting Danial, but why’d he challenge that lab here and not a place like that forum which may offer some rebuttal.

Some of those posters “seem” very knowledgeable about oil and testing. Just wondering. I’m guessing some did independent research and have decided they were insufficient.
Greatest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 01:32 PM   #138
Leander311
Pole Position

Fair... Yes, Blackstone is super popular because they give you at worst a decent approximation, at least regarding most of the metals, and the price of entry is as cheap as anyone. But it's no secret many of their processes and pieces of lab kit are antiquated. I've seen folks on bitog who share Daniel's concerns. When Daniel shared a lengthy voice review from legend Terry Dyson himself (in which he referenced Daniel directly), that was enough for me. Terry is one of the two original founders of bitog... FWIW, my mom recently retired as a forensic toxicologist and lent much of her GCMS knowledge and passion to me over the years. As a mechanical engineer, it's all quite interesting to me.

Last edited by Leander311; 01-12-18 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 02:51 PM   #139
Greatest
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander311 View Post
Fair... Yes, Blackstone is super popular because they give you at worst a decent approximation, at least regarding most of the metals, and the price of entry is as cheap as anyone. But it's no secret many of their processes and pieces of lab kit are antiquated. I've seen folks on bitog who share Daniel's concerns. When Daniel shared a lengthy voice review from legend Terry Dyson himself (in which he referenced Daniel directly), that was enough for me. Terry is one of the two original founders of bitog... FWIW, my mom recently retired as a forensic toxicologist and lent much of her GCMS knowledge and passion to me over the years. As a mechanical engineer, it's all quite interesting to me.
Yes. Very interesting. Iím not questioning any of the conclusions. The debate would be nice to hear regardless. Itís clear Danial really knows his stuff. Iíd more like to hear what some of those on bitog would say. The seem very confident in their very long ociís. Recently I sold my wifeís Nissan Rogue. I was going 15k on the mobile so and filter. At 100k I developed a leaky valve cover and was getting a check engine for a failed catalytic converter. These most likely had zero to do with the long oci, but they worried me enough combined with the findings that Blackstone wasnít reliable and may have led some into thinking their engines were fine with the long ociís. I look forward to hearing some results so I can decide if I want to go the 10k Toyota recommends on our new Highlander and decide if I want to go longer on my ISF. Iím using the Yzza4 now, but have bought a few wix and decide if I want to go longer than 5k or just be safe and stay with that. I donít track my car and am pretty tame with it. 2008 with 50k.
Old 01-12-18, 07:00 PM   #140
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

M1 EP is a greatly inferior oil to regular M1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 RAT - Tech Facts, not Myths
11. 5W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved = 117,799 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This was the latest current version of this oil when tested at the end of 2015. This oil is used by a number of Auto Makers worldwide as factory fill oil in their High Performance cars. The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.

118. 5W30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15,000 mile, API SN synthetic = 83,263 psi
zinc = 890 ppm
phos = 819 ppm
moly = 104 ppm
I put it in my IS and GS on Daniel's recommendation, and will not do that again. While Daniel likes to focus on the fuel dilution issue, the fact is, no one can fix that without a tune. You can only buy an oil more tolerant of fuel dilution, but you can't stop it at the source. If it really is the issue at hand, you would expect to see significantly different iron numbers between oils on the same service interval under the same use pattern, but I suspect most people change their oil far too soon for fuel dilution to be a causative issue for power loss. Also, none of us are sweating a few hp. Race teams sweat everything, so they would be the ones who really benefit from the proper tune and the potential power maintenance it represents.

The difference between the analysis I got from Tribologik and Blackstone on the last GS F sample gave me pause. Everything was different. With only two sources, it's impossible to even infer which might be accurate, if either of them is. I have a number of prepaid sample kits from Blackstone, and I am continuing using them for now. If I ever get really concerned about this, I will send samples to at least 5 labs and look at the results to see where they group and then pick a lab from the group, not from the outlier(s).
lobuxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lobuxracer For This Useful Post:
Brad3275 (01-13-18), Greatest (01-13-18)
Old 01-13-18, 12:38 AM   #141
Rossi
Lexus Test Driver

I go 10,000 interval with Royal Purple HPS.
Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 01:18 AM   #142
Greatest
Rookie

Maybe I’ll just stick with 5k on whatever full syn is the cheapest. I dunno. I’m as confused on this subject as ever.

lobuxracer, when you say regular mobile are you saying Dino or full syn?
Danial and the posters on bitog love the ep. Its clear you don’t.

Thanks as usual for your opinion and experience

Last edited by Greatest; 01-13-18 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-01-18, 10:20 AM   #143
Leander311
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
M1 EP is a greatly inferior oil to regular M1.
I put it in my IS and GS on Daniel's recommendation, and will not do that again. While Daniel likes to focus on the fuel dilution issue, the fact is, no one can fix that without a tune. You can only buy an oil more tolerant of fuel dilution, but you can't stop it at the source. If it really is the issue at hand, you would expect to see significantly different iron numbers between oils on the same service interval under the same use pattern, but I suspect most people change their oil far too soon for fuel dilution to be a causative issue for power loss. Also, none of us are sweating a few hp. Race teams sweat everything, so they would be the ones who really benefit from the proper tune and the potential power maintenance it represents.

The difference between the analysis I got from Tribologik and Blackstone on the last GS F sample gave me pause. Everything was different. With only two sources, it's impossible to even infer which might be accurate, if either of them is. I have a number of prepaid sample kits from Blackstone, and I am continuing using them for now. If I ever get really concerned about this, I will send samples to at least 5 labs and look at the results to see where they group and then pick a lab from the group, not from the outlier(s).
Ok! Here's my Blackstone report. Good report overall, which is comforting since I bought used and always suspect previous owner maintenance, despite the "perfect" service records via Lexus' database. I'd even been so careful to have my oil changed by the only Toyota Service Advisor I know who also owns an F (same one who said RPF-1's in 18x10 +38 will clear the stock brakes, despite many nay-sayers here to the contrary. I've seen them, and they fit!), and yet his tech used the whole 12qts of RLI I gave him. Honest mistake since they were in gallon jugs, but I was his last job, and he was clearly in a hurry to clock out. Said advisor buddy was very upset and embarrassed, and given I'd bought enough RLI for exactly 2 OC's, I wasn't happy either. He was quick to take responsibility and make it right, though.

Anyhow, given the mild over-heating I had during extended track sessions in 100F TX heat last summer at CoTA, the oil held up pretty well. The Ti and Na are concerning, but as mentioned by Blackstone, wear numbers don't support coolant contamination. As they also suggested, a previous fill of Mobil Super Synthetic would explain it (See MSS VOA), although the service lady who answered the phone at Park Place Lexus Grapevine insists they use Mobil 1. Hmmmmm.... Fingers crossed it goes down on this fill of RLI. I'll try Amsoil EA next from your recommendation Lance, and then perhaps "regular" Mobil 1 5W-30.

Your thoughts and comments welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11 IS-F.pdf (50.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-03-18, 09:02 AM   #144
Greatest
Rookie

Thanks for the update. Hope to see more and some new analysis about what's best for our cars.