IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Does your 2010 IS 250C rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 09:10 AM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does your 2010 IS 250C rattle?

I purchased a new IS250C in late June and over the last few months, the roof has been rattling. Took it into the dealer and the clamp from the roof to the car on the right side was rattling. They fixed that rattle.

Within a week or two the right side of the roof started to rattle again. Took it back. They made some adjustments and got the car back. Within a day or two, the back of the roof started to rattle. Took it back. They found a bolt in the rear roof area loose and tightened it.

The car has been in the shop four times and although it mostly quite, when going over certain bumps and turns, the roof still rattles.

Anyone else have this problem?

This isn't suppose to happen on a Lexus!
Old 02-06-10, 09:22 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, if it rattles its a lexus...
Old 02-06-10, 09:46 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
Cause that's helpful

Anyway, OP, yes there seem to be a few members with rattles in their IS-C.....but, most of the members were from my.is, not clublexus. Might want to check out the IS-C section on that forum. I (and others) have posted our observations there.

I had a couple of rattles in mine:
1) Coming from the rear package area......fixed by dealer (when I got my car the rear headrest/rollbar cover wouldn't stay connected......that may have been causing the problem....but I mentioned that issue in addition to the rattles near that area)
2) One coming from the passenger side windows.........inevitable in any car that's B-pillar-less, as it's due to the windows touching
3) A "cracking" sound that I heard near the top of the driver's window only when it was left in 90+ sun......but, haven't had that problem cause it hasn't been that hot since I first got it.
4) A new "clunk" type that sounds like it could be coming from my driver's door when I hit a hard bump.....I'm thinking it may be the door moving slightly.....IDK though, maybe once it warms up here and the salt/sand/snow/ice gets off the road I'll do some more research.

Also, I get the occasional roof creek when going over bumps unevenly, etc, but those are also inevitable with convertibles.

I will say though, compared to my mustang convertible that I used to own, the IS is A LOT better.

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-06-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 01:52 PM
foxwiz
Driver

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
You have that wrong. If it rattles it's probably a Chrysler or Chevy!

Hopefully they will fix mine and it won't rattle anymore.
Old 02-06-10, 01:53 PM
foxwiz
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Cause that's helpful

Anyway, OP, yes there seem to be a few members with rattles in their IS-C.....but, most of the members were from my.is, not clublexus. Might want to check out the IS-C section on that forum. I (and others) have posted our observations there.

I had a couple of rattles in mine:
1) Coming from the rear package area......fixed by dealer (when I got my car the rear headrest/rollbar cover wouldn't stay connected......that may have been causing the problem....but I mentioned that issue in addition to the rattles near that area)
2) One coming from the passenger side windows.........inevitable in any car that's B-pillar-less, as it's due to the windows touching
3) A "cracking" sound that I heard near the top of the driver's window only when it was left in 90+ sun......but, haven't had that problem cause it hasn't been that hot since I first got it.
4) A new "clunk" type that sounds like it could be coming from my driver's door when I hit a hard bump.....I'm thinking it may be the door moving slightly.....IDK though, maybe once it warms up here and the salt/sand/snow/ice gets off the road I'll do some more research.

Also, I get the occasional roof creek when going over bumps unevenly, etc, but those are also inevitable with convertibles.

I will say though, compared to my mustang convertible that I used to own, the IS is A LOT better.

Thanks for the reply. I did check out the site you mentioned, my.is and I posted there also. This site seems to get more traffic so I thought I would post here and try to get more feedback.
Old 02-06-10, 02:38 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxwiz
You have that wrong. If it rattles it's probably a Chrysler or Chevy!

Hopefully they will fix mine and it won't rattle anymore.
Gotta disagree with that one. I've had several Chryslers and Ford, and all were vault quiet. My lexus rattles like a Daewoo.

I don't hate the car, I'm just disappointed with QC.
Old 08-31-16, 07:11 PM
MurrayG
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof Rattle IS 250C

We experienced a mild roof rattle when driving on concrete or bumpy roads. When you sit in the back seat there is a 5 cm ^2 plastic flap that is spring loaded – you can push this flap in around 2 – 3 cm. So what you have is plastic resting on plastic and being held there by a light spring. I cut a 5 cm strip of insulation foam (one side is sticky sided when you peel off the paper backing) and tucked this up behind the plastic on which the plastic flap rests – this means it is out of sight) You could use felt or several layers of duct tape but again you would need to be careful to tuck it out of sight. I tested the roof and it opens and closes perfectly and we now have a smooth quiet roof – even on bumpy roads. We have a friend with a Lexus SC 430 that also has a roof rattle and I am keen to see if something like this would also help him. I’ll keep you posted.
Old 09-01-16, 01:20 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

My 2010 evidentially rattled a lot because the original owner got Lexus to buy the car back under the Lemon Law. They were up-front with us about the car being a Lemon Law buyback and we test drove the car over over some pretty rough roads and it was quiet. Still is several years later. The only noise it makes is in winter, the wearherstripping creaks below 30º F. According to the service history on mylexus.com, the convertible top was removed and totally disassembled several times, some parts were replaced each time (I think).
Old 09-03-16, 09:27 AM
TomDac
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

mine doesn't rattle at all..
Old 09-05-16, 09:16 AM
foxwiz
Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
My 2010 evidentially rattled a lot because the original owner got Lexus to buy the car back under the Lemon Law. They were up-front with us about the car being a Lemon Law buyback and we test drove the car over over some pretty rough roads and it was quiet. Still is several years later. The only noise it makes is in winter, the wearherstripping creaks below 30º F. According to the service history on mylexus.com, the convertible top was removed and totally disassembled several times, some parts were replaced each time (I think).
My car was purchased by Lexus under the Lemon law in June 2010. When did you purchase your car? Mine was red with black interior.

Last edited by foxwiz; 09-05-16 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 09:16 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by foxwiz
My car was purchased by Lexus under the Lemon law in June 2010. When did you purchase your car? Mine was red with black interior.
I bought the car in January 2014. It is black with a red interior, but I don't think it was your car. The service record shows it was serviced by the dealer in Chandler AZ until June 2011. Then there is almost a two year time gap until March of 2013 when a dealer in Newport Beach CA serviced the car one time. Then a month later the dealer in Tustin CA did a one time service. Then I bought the car 9 months later here in the Dallas TX area.
Old 01-26-17, 08:55 AM
Jackstraww
Driver School Candidate

When my stereo is off or at a low volume, the rear plastic headrests seem to bump the back window.

Luckily I usually am blasting the stereo so it covers the noise when the roof is up.

I have a 2010 IS250C
Old 01-26-17, 08:02 PM
DennisMik
Racer

I also have a 2010 250C and I can get my fingertip in between the headrest and the headliner. My fingertip is about 5/8 " thick. Because of the folding feature, I can wiggle the headrest in the front/rear direction and the driver side is looser than the other, but I don't hear them rattling probably because they are always folded down.

The fixed loop behind the headrest has a smaller clearance to the rear window than the padded one to the headliner, but they are solid as rocks and don't move