IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

DRL not working on one side.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 04:20 PM
Anik51
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DRL not working on one side.

Hey everyone, it’s my first post here and I wish it was under better circumstances lol. However, my IS350 F Sport’s DRL is not working on one side. Prior to this incident, both DRL’s would work but only on the low beam setting, when I wanted to use both the headlights and the DRL’s, the passenger side DRL would not light up. However, now the passenger side DRL will not light up at all. Is there any way to fix this myself? I’m not sure if it’s a bulb, the ballast, or something else so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-29-19, 05:09 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately it sounds like your DRL has failed.
A couple on here have reported them going out.
Simplest thing is to just replace it.
The bumper would have to come off to access the DRL.
Old 03-29-19, 08:11 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

To echo what Sasnuke said, the drive board inside the DRL most likely failed, and theres no fixing it. Try sourcing a new DRL on ebay or something.
Old 03-29-19, 09:30 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going through same on my IS350.. well, both of mine are not working. I'm just leaving it for now since my low beam and everything works. I honestly kinda like it this way now, i live in Texas.. so it's no biggie.
Old 03-29-19, 09:34 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by babaijebu
I'm going through same on my IS350.. well, both of mine are not working. I'm just leaving it for now since my low beam and everything works. I honestly kinda like it this way now, i live in Texas.. so it's no biggie.
Hmm. Did they fail at the exact same time or one after the other? There's a chance your DRL's are fine. Can you double check that they are set to on thru the infotainment? and the light stalk?
Old 03-29-19, 09:45 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Hmm. Did they fail at the exact same time or one after the other? There's a chance your DRL's are fine. Can you double check that they are set to on thru the infotainment? and the light stalk?

Honestly not sure, i got the car like a month ago and didn't pay attention to that. It is on through the infotainment and light set to auto. Every other light works fine. This is the thread i created about it - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-working.html
Old 03-29-19, 09:48 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

You did mention it might be covered under warranty on my thread. Is that the normal warranty or it can be covered under powertrain?
Old 03-29-19, 09:50 AM
Pittsy
Racer

You did mention it might be covered under warranty on my thread. Is that the normal warranty or it can be covered under powertrain?
Should be under normal waranty. LED's lifetime should last longer than the car in all honesty. Go bring it in and see what they can do for you.

On a second note, this problem with the DRL's is starting to show up a lot more. If it becomes a big enough issue, lexus will make a SB about it and they can be fixed.
Old 03-29-19, 09:58 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Should be under normal waranty. LED's lifetime should last longer than the car in all honesty. Go bring it in and see what they can do for you.

On a second note, this problem with the DRL's is starting to show up a lot more. If it becomes a big enough issue, lexus will make a SB about it and they can be fixed.
I thought about that, but the fear of them trying to charge me for diagnosis stopped me from taking it in.
Old 03-29-19, 11:39 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I think the issue isn't the LED themselves in the DRL, but the driver that controls them.
So you are correct, LED's should last a long time...longer than the car...but the driver is another story it would seem.

If covered under warranty it would be the 4 years/80,000kms...or whatever that is in miles.
If they did make a bulletin, likely it will have the same warranty parameters.
I realize this would potentially mean that someone could be out of warranty by time the bulletin is released, therefore they would have to pay.
But at least if there were updated parts, then you would know that the new part should be fine...even if you had to pay out of pocket.
Old 03-30-19, 06:18 PM
Anik51
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help guys! I’ve ordered the new DRL and am waiting for it to come. Sucks I couldn’t fix it through any other method, but you win some and you lose some 🤷🏾*♂️😂.

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!

To echo what Sasnuke said, the drive board inside the DRL most likely failed, and theres no fixing it. Try sourcing a new DRL on ebay or something.
Old 04-01-19, 06:45 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anik51
Thanks for the help guys! I’ve ordered the new DRL and am waiting for it to come. Sucks I couldn’t fix it through any other method, but you win some and you lose some 🤷🏾*♂️😂.
Please, keep this thread updated if that fixed it and where you purchased from, if possible.
Old 04-01-19, 09:32 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Shoot, if I only I messaged here earlier. I was going to reccomend that instead of getting new DRL's, to send them to Gerry from Gerlicious Performance. He does a full RGBW conversion with sequential turn signals built in, all for about 500$. Much cheaper than buying a new DRL Unit. I just got mine back from him and installed and theyre amazing.
Old 04-01-19, 09:38 AM
Anik51
Driver School Candidate

Oh **** really? I ordered my DRL from CARID and they have a lenient return policy. Maybe I’ll hit up Gerry and see what’s up because RGBW DRL’s look amazing on the IS.

Shoot, if I only I messaged here earlier. I was going to reccomend that instead of getting new DRL's, to send them to Gerry from Gerlicious Performance. He does a full RGBW conversion with sequential turn signals built in, all for about 500$. Much cheaper than buying a new DRL Unit. I just got mine back from him and installed and theyre amazing.
Old 04-01-19, 09:41 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Oh **** really? I ordered my DRL from CARID and they have a lenient return policy. Maybe I’ll hit up Gerry and see what’s up because RGBW DRL’s look amazing on the IS.
Yeah theyre absolutely stunning. Im going to post a video of them to my build thread on the RC side of CL.

Gerry's great because he helps you with every step of the install and he lets you know whats going on throughout the entire conversion.