IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

17/18 Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 08:48 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 17/18 Remote Start

I know when you purchased your cars, you probably were shown the Lexus Enform App Suite and part of it includes remote starting your car through the app. I believe it's complimentary the first year, then you pay into a subscription if you want that access to your vehicle through the app (forgot how much it is).

I think the whole remote starting is cool from a technology perspective but I'm not a big fan of subscriptions especially when other brands have the remote start ability on the key fob itself. It is a pretty good business model for Lexus to keep that recurring payment via subscription for those that want to keep remote start access. I'd assume other luxury brands have already or are following this practice.

How many of you pay into the subscription to be able to remote start your car and check other vehicle settings/status? Do you think it's worth it?
Old 08-26-18, 08:58 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I know when you purchased your cars, you probably were shown the Lexus Enform App Suite and part of it includes remote starting your car through the app. I believe it's complimentary the first year, then you pay into a subscription if you want that access to your vehicle through the app (forgot how much it is).

I think the whole remote starting is cool from a technology perspective but I'm not a big fan of subscriptions especially when other brands have the remote start ability on the key fob itself. It is a pretty good business model for Lexus to keep that recurring payment via subscription for those that want to keep remote start access. I'd assume other luxury brands have already or are following this practice.

How many of you pay into the subscription to be able to remote start your car and check other vehicle settings/status? Do you think it's worth it?
You can remote start your car with your key fob too. The dumb thing with remote start no matter what is that the car turns off when you open the door that’s SO annoying. It makes it useless to me.
Old 08-26-18, 09:29 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

If you are looking for another option while using the factory remote (remotes), I highly recommend the dball remote start, if you'd like to look into it.
3 clicks of the lock button will start the car. 3 clicks of it while running will shut off the car, otherwise I believe it runs on a 5 minute timer (which may be programmable but I haven't tried to change this) where then it shuts off to conserve fuel.

I have it on the LS, IS and used to have it on my CT.
Old 08-26-18, 10:30 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can remote start your car with your key fob too. The dumb thing with remote start no matter what is that the car turns off when you open the door that’s SO annoying. It makes it useless to me.

I've never had any other remote start cars. But if it didn't turn off when the door is opened. Couldn't anyone drive off with your car? Or if the key is not close by. The door will not open?

Old 08-26-18, 11:11 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFWes

I've never had any other remote start cars. But if it didn't turn off when the door is opened. Couldn't anyone drive off with your car? Or if the key is not close by. The door will not open?

A lot of cars the doors stay locked unless you open it even if the car is on from remote start.
Old 08-26-18, 11:51 AM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you start the car with remote? I don't like using enform because it takes too long...
Old 08-26-18, 01:03 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by yohan81718
How do you start the car with remote? I don't like using enform because it takes too long...
Read my post above.
Old 08-26-18, 01:10 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
If you are looking for another option while using the factory remote (remotes), I highly recommend the dball remote start, if you'd like to look into it.
3 clicks of the lock button will start the car. 3 clicks of it while running will shut off the car, otherwise I believe it runs on a 5 minute timer (which may be programmable but I haven't tried to change this) where then it shuts off to conserve fuel.

I have it on the LS, IS and used to have it on my CT.
No way! I'll definitely have to try it. I was never told that the key fobs that came with our car can remote start the vehicle (not even sure the owner's manual mentions anything about that either). And I'm also used to seeing a separate button strictly for a remote start of the car.

The salesman obviously pushed the Enform app when I was signing papers at the dealership. But just quickly clicking and releasing the lock button on the key fob 3 times starts the car, huh? If that's the case, I'd be amazed!
Old 08-26-18, 01:13 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flash5

Hmm, you're right if that's the case. Any way of changing that?
Old 08-26-18, 04:07 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

No way! I'll definitely have to try it. I was never told that the key fobs that came with our car can remote start the vehicle (not even sure the owner's manual mentions anything about that either). And I'm also used to seeing a separate button strictly for a remote start of the car.

The salesman obviously pushed the Enform app when I was signing papers at the dealership. But just quickly clicking and releasing the lock button on the key fob 3 times starts the car, huh? If that's the case, I'd be amazed!
It works, keep in mind the dball unit Im talking about is completely separate from the Enform app/setup. It's a fairly straightforward install, and it works like a charm.

Video (not my car):
Old 08-26-18, 04:54 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

If your Enform Service is expired, the remote start is disabled. You can't use the key fob to remote start the vehicle.
Old 08-26-18, 06:49 PM
whiteIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you just get the remote start for $80/year or do you have to get Safety Connect also for an additional $80/year?

when mine expires next year, I only want the remote start.
Old 08-26-18, 08:24 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Hmm, you're right if that's the case. Any way of changing that?
Nope, no way to change this. And the key fob remote start was explained to me by my dealership as well as the Enform remote stuff.
Old 08-26-18, 09:35 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont have Lexus enform up here in Canada, so what you guys are talking about wasn't an option for me at the time. Although I know some cars have it up here now. I have the drone remote start system from compustar. Has the same issue as your normal Lexus one where there's no takeover procedure to keep the car running once you're in it. I pay the subscription. It has a basic GPS tracking unit in there so I can see where it is at all times. I know whether or not its locked, which helped a lot when I dropped it off at the dealer one time when they forgot to lock it in their publically accessible lot.
Old 08-27-18, 04:27 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by MX73
If your Enform Service is expired, the remote start is disabled. You can't use the key fob to remote start the vehicle.
You may be right on this to a point.
I never had Enform on my LS, it wasn't activated, but I do know my LS has always been remote start-ready, per what the dealer told me. So maybe that's why the dball unit works just fine on my car along with in the previous vehicles I've owned.

Quick Reply: 17/18 Remote Start