IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

17/18 Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 05:54 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Right, the DBall will bypass all the Enform crap and enable the remote key fob start.
Old 08-27-18, 05:57 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've also read on other sites that you need to have an active Enform Service to be able to use the remote start function via your key fob. For a continual subscription for this ability and the behavior of the car shutting off after being remote started when the doors are open/unlocked, it really defeats the whole purpose of a remote start for me. I guess since I bought my car in June 2018, I still have some time to try out this remote start on my key fob but I do not see myself renewing this trial period when it expires.

I remember driving domestic rental cars that had a fully functioning remote start on the key fob. No subscription service, engine still on when you unlock/open the door, etc.. basically what you would expect with a remote start capability.
Old 09-09-18, 09:55 AM
HawkeyeIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
If you are looking for another option while using the factory remote (remotes), I highly recommend the dball remote start, if you'd like to look into it.
3 clicks of the lock button will start the car. 3 clicks of it while running will shut off the car, otherwise I believe it runs on a 5 minute timer (which may be programmable but I haven't tried to change this) where then it shuts off to conserve fuel.

I have it on the LS, IS and used to have it on my CT.
what year IS do you have it on? I can’t find anywhere online that is says it’s compatible with anything newer than the 2013 IS. Would love to get it on my car!
Old 09-15-18, 01:30 AM
matttev
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It works, keep in mind the dball unit Im talking about is completely separate from the Enform app/setup. It's a fairly straightforward install, and it works like a charm.

Video (not my car):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFX7Tw2q-4
Does the car still shut off if you open the door?
Old 09-15-18, 08:21 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeIS

what year IS do you have it on? I can’t find anywhere online that is says it’s compatible with anything newer than the 2013 IS. Would love to get it on my car!
'15 IS250. Also had it on my '12 CT200H and currently on my '13 LS460
Old 09-15-18, 08:22 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by matttev
Does the car still shut off if you open the door?
Yes, it is a security feature you cannot bypass. It doesn't bother me one bit.
Old 09-15-18, 03:14 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I don't know how it doesn't bother you, it makes remote start to me useless. While I understand the security intentions, the car stays locked when using remote start so if your car gets stolen by somebody breaking into it within the 10 minute timer that's just VERY BAD LUCK lol. I would prefer for it to stay on when I open the door because I don't want to start my vehicle twice within 10 minutes that's just me though. I refuse to use it because of the turning off part.
The following users liked this post:
Lexuscavia (10-29-21)
Old 09-15-18, 07:15 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I don't know how it doesn't bother you, it makes remote start to me useless. While I understand the security intentions, the car stays locked when using remote start so if your car gets stolen by somebody breaking into it within the 10 minute timer that's just VERY BAD LUCK lol. I would prefer for it to stay on when I open the door because I don't want to start my vehicle twice within 10 minutes that's just me though. I refuse to use it because of the turning off part.
Absolutely agree. Back to my example with a rental car for business (let's say a Buick Lacrosse), I would remote start the car from my hotel room and once I get to the car it's still running and locked. I unlock the car; it's still running while the inside is nice and comfy, then I hit the brake and press the start button and I'm on my way... that's the whole point of a remote start.

I'm surprised that remote start capability for our cars have the engine turn off as soon as you open the door. That's just stupid.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (09-15-18)
Old 09-17-18, 06:09 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

I completely understand your standpoint, I guess times have changed for me, lol. I'm not sure if there's another remote start integrated united with the oem key fob other than the dball at this time though, otherwise I would've looked into it further.
Old 09-18-18, 06:37 AM
phreze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS is the first car I had with any type of remote start. The fact you have to have an app, open it up, log in and then stare at your phone for a minute waiting for it to connect to the vehicle. If you close the app before that, the car doesn't start. You open the door and the engine stops and you have to restart it again. So convoluted, counterproductive, and waste of gas.
Old 09-18-18, 07:27 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It annoyed me at first, until I quickly realized that pressing a button to restart the car is quicker than navigating through the menu and reconnecting Bluetooth to my phone for music. The car is only searching for a Bluetooth connection immediately after starting.

That said, I don't get how it is a security feature. In theory, the car won't unlock nor be driveable unless the key fob is near/inside the vehicle. Nobody could jack your ride while you're still inside unless they had the other fob, in which case it doesn't matter that the engine is running.
Old 09-18-18, 10:01 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by phreze
If you close the app before that, the car doesn't start.
Not true, at least not on my 2016, with my Samsung Galaxy S8. If I use the Back button to back out of the app, it will still start the car.

waste of gas.
Well, do like me and just use the remote start sparingly, or don't use it at all.
Old 09-18-18, 10:53 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I think we can all agree the remote start is useless since it turns off when you open the door. I might use it if it's end of the world cold and I want my car to warm up for practical reasons, but that isn't the case where I live.
Old 09-18-18, 11:00 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait what is this DBall you guys are talking about. Where do I buy it.
Old 09-18-18, 11:17 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I think we can all agree the remote start is useless since it turns off when you open the door. I might use it if it's end of the world cold and I want my car to warm up for practical reasons, but that isn't the case where I live.
It is end of the world cold sometimes where I live. Far from useless.

Quick Reply: 17/18 Remote Start