IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation screen black...🤔

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 12:18 PM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Olie3170
Me and my little sister and my best friend has the same exact car the same exact year 2014 Lexus IS250. I bought my car about a year and a half ago it was OK nothing was going wrong for about six months so about a year ago, The radio and the navigation system screen comes on and off sometimes stays off for 10 minutes sometimes I’ll stay on for 10 minutes sometime I just don’t play it at all it doesn’t show up nothing and then about couple weeks later I’m about to go to work and screen completely black ,radio doesn’t work ever since. I didn’t know my sister had the same exact problem she bought her car about a year before me and she said she been driving to work for the last 18 months with no radio black screen she went to the Lexus dealership they said they don’t know what can it be is it may be the fuse I change the fuse for her I change the fuse for nine same thing. Also my friend bought the same kind of car as mine Like three months after I bought mine. But his is an F sport 2014 Lexus IS 250. I told him about the problem that I have and then my sister half he says wow that’s crazy I just bought this car a year ago and it was going good for about eight months and same thing happened to his so he brought it to the dealership. The people at the dealership said most likely is your radio so he spent probably almost $1000 I’m not sure for the radio put a brand new radio in same thing blacks navigation screen radio doesn’t work. So he starts researching and people are saying that water can get in your trunk and shut all your amplifier which the amplifier should just connect with your radio not what your navigation system. So he go buy an amplifier brand new same thing black screen radio doesn’t work still. It’s just mine boggling that I’ve been looking up how to fix this works wrong with it so many people online has the same problem with the same Lexus around the same year but when they bring it to Lexis Lexis say they don’t know what to do this Hass to be a recall or something because I thought I was the only one and then my sister told me and then my best friend told me . This is ridiculous !!!!
Are these cars really having the same issue? Most of the people in this thread see the Lexus logo come up on start and the backup camera displays indicating that the screen itself is good. Have you tried the sequence listed above (disconnect battery, leave for 1 hour, reconnect it, press Start without foot on brake to enter Accessory mode then press the volume button).?
$1,000 for Lexus to fix it? Sounds like a bargain. Others have reported $2,000+!
Old 07-17-22, 01:30 PM
Olie3170
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beek
Also just had this issue after my 2014 IS350 sat in the garage for a few months. Black screen and dead radio. The reverse camera was still working. Tried the reset method listed above multiple times which did not help. Based on digging around, the reset method might be effective for newer 2015+ models. Took the car to the dealership and it came back as "head unit faulty P10433" with a repair cost of 2,000$. Thankfully I have an extended warranty so it will be covered.

Unfortunately, they have no idea what caused the issue. Based on readings and my experience (car sitting for a few months), it's definitely a battery drain/power issue so unplug your battery if you don't intend to drive for a while. Hopefully Lexus acknowledges this defect at some point because it is a costly fix that seems to be a manufacture problem. I did read in another forum that a member contacted Lexus corporate who agreed to pay for the repair. Worth a shot if you don't have a warranty.
2014 Lexus IS 250 blackout navigation screen
Me and my little sister and my best friend has the same exact car the same exact year 2014 Lexus IS250. I bought my car about a year and a half ago it was OK nothing was going wrong for about six months so about a year ago, The radio and the navigation system screen comes on and off sometimes stays off for 10 minutes sometimes I’ll stay on for 10 minutes sometime I just don’t play it at all it doesn’t show up nothing and then about couple weeks later I’m about to go to work and screen completely black ,radio doesn’t work ever since. I didn’t know my sister had the same exact problem she bought her car about a year before me and she said she been driving to work for the last 18 months with no radio black screen she went to the Lexus dealership they said they don’t know what can it be is it may be the fuse I change the fuse for her I change the fuse for nine same thing. Also my friend bought the same kind of car as mine Like three months after I bought mine. But his is an F sport 2014 Lexus IS 250. I told him about the problem that I have and then my sister half he says wow that’s crazy I just bought this car a year ago and it was going good for about eight months and same thing happened to his so he brought it to the dealership. The people at the dealership said most likely is your radio so he spent probably almost $1000 I’m not sure for the radio put a brand new radio in same thing blacks navigation screen radio doesn’t work. So he starts researching and people are saying that water can get in your trunk and shut all your amplifier which the amplifier should just connect with your radio not what your navigation system. So he go buy an amplifier brand new same thing black screen radio doesn’t work still. It’s just mine boggling that I’ve been looking up how to fix this works wrong with it so many people online has the same problem with the same Lexus around the same year but when they bring it to Lexis Lexis say they don’t know what to do this Hass to be a recall or something because I thought I was the only one and then my sister told me and then my best friend told me. I really think it’s recall because my best friend brought his 2014 IS 250 F-Sport to the Lexus dealership , and none of them knew what’s the problem so they just said it’s your radio. So my friend ended up fixing the radio for about 1,000 . They got the radio and still the radio doesn’t work and still has the black screen on navigation system! Then started googling and YT and some ppls was saying that this type of car get rain inside the trunk and damaging the amplifier. So he fix that for almost $1,000 . Still has the navigation system screen is black and the radio isn’t working smh!! I’ve been driving to and from work for the last 9 months with no radio and no navigation system! Same as my sister and best friend smh This is ridiculous !!!!
Old 07-17-22, 01:48 PM
Olie3170
7th Gear

Default Blackout navigation system and radio not working

Originally Posted by Roffles
I've actually got it at the dealer now.. Battery died overnight, jump started and navigation didn't work. Drove immediately to autoparts store and replaced battery and navigation still didn't work. Removed negative battery terminal connection overnight still didn't work so went to dealer. I'm hoping It's something as simple as a blown fuse.... but I always kept the positive grounded during the jump start and battery replacement so not sure it would be that. I'm not willing to investigate the fuse box with my car being under a service contract because these guys will find any reason to deny warranty work. I'll post the conclusion.

edit: should also mention when driving at night there was the slightest flicker of dim white light that would flash on the screen every 5-10 seconds.

edit2: got a call from the dealership. they ran a diagnostic tool and determined the radio receiver unit had failed. it's a rather expensive piece of hardware so fingers crossed it will be accepted as warranty work. service manager seems to think there will be no issue having it covered (i have a CPO extended warranty... glad I bought it now because i've had more problems with this car than I'm used to having in a lexus. this will be the last time i buy the first year of a new generation)
Please don’t change the radio or the amplifier! The ppls at the Lexus dealership doesn’t what’s wrong with this problem . There’s thousands of people including me , my little sister, and my best friend. We have all same the car , year and model. My friend and I already changed the fuses last year and same crap. So he went to the dealership and they basically didn’t even know what was the problem!! So they didn’t want to look stupid so they told my that it’s his radio that’s the problem! So he changed the radio and spent almost $1,000 and the radio still didn’t work and the navigation system screen was still black smh so he did research online and YB and a lot people was saying that this type of car. When it rains water gets inside the i surpose and damaged the amplifier. So he replaced that and spent almost 900$. I didn’t know that there’s so many people that has the same problem! Not hundreds, thousands!! 2014 Lexus IS 250 blackout navigation screen
Me and my little sister and my best friend has the same exact car the same exact year 2014 Lexus IS250. I bought my car about a year and a half ago it was OK nothing was going wrong for about six months so about a year ago, The radio and the navigation system screen comes on and off sometimes stays off for 10 minutes sometimes I’ll stay on for 10 minutes sometime I just don’t play it at all it doesn’t show up nothing and then about couple weeks later I’m about to go to work and screen completely black ,radio doesn’t work ever since. I didn’t know my sister had the same exact problem she bought her car about a year before me and she said she been driving to work for the last 18 months with no radio black screen she went to the Lexus dealership they said they don’t know what can it be is it may be the fuse I change the fuse for her I change the fuse for nine same thing. Also my friend bought the same kind of car as mine Like three months after I bought mine. But his is an F sport 2014 Lexus IS 250. I told him about the problem that I have and then my sister half he says wow that’s crazy I just bought this car a year ago and it was going good for about eight months and same thing happened to his so he brought it to the dealership. The people at the dealership said most likely is your radio so he spent probably almost $1000 I’m not sure for the radio put a brand new radio in same thing blacks navigation screen radio doesn’t work. So he starts researching and people are saying that water can get in your trunk and shut all your amplifier which the amplifier should just connect with your radio not what your navigation system. So he go buy an amplifier brand new same thing black screen radio doesn’t work still. It’s just mine boggling that I’ve been looking up how to fix this works wrong with it so many people online has the same problem with the same Lexus around the same year but when they bring it to Lexis Lexis say they don’t know what to do this Hass to be a recall or something because I thought I was the only one and then my sister told me and then my best friend told me . This is ridiculous !!!!
Old 10-22-22, 12:51 PM
RollingBlu
Rookie

It's happened again. Just like last time; car sat idle for about 4 months with a battery tender attached to the battery. The car had a good charge since it started right back up but each time I had the blank screen of death. I had the battery load tested last time around and it was good. I tried the fix listed previously several times - no fix. Last time I drove the car about 20 miles and suddenly the SD loading screen came up then all was well. Just hoping that happens again.

Does anybody have a handle on what causes this issue? If we knew we could probably take steps to avoid the problem. Where's Lexus in all of this? I can assure you that their engineers know exactly what causes this and how to restore the radio.
Old 11-23-22, 08:01 AM
dschaefer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been 3 years and 2 months, but my battery died again. I opted to run the first part of this procedure as an experiment which means I did not use a battery tender to keep the car alive. I pulled the battery and drove to get a replacement. Re-reading over the thread, It seems these cars might need a 20-30 minute disconnected state in order for something in the system to clear (cache, RAM on some circuit board, magic fairy dust...etc) So, by pulling the battery, I was doing step 2 of the procedure since it took me over an hour to get back with a new replacement battery. I reinstalled the battery and got ready to start with steps 3 & 4. This next step probably didn't matter, but I pulled the Navigation maps microSD card out 1/4" so it was not active. Then, I pressed the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (step 4) below. After about 10-20 seconds, I was presented a series of screens ending with everything working like normal * When it got to the 4th screen, I slid the microSD card back in *

Hope this helps someone -before- you get the black screen issue.

[QUOTE=dschaefer;10624856] 10/01/2019 Thanks Jen! Add me to the list of success stories with this procedure. I waited 24 minutes disconnected and followed your steps verbatim. I had just replaced my battery in my 2015 RC350. I had kept the car powered the whole time via a battery tender to avoid any issues. I was shocked when I saw my black Nav screen.
Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
1. Remove the battery terminals for positive and negative
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
2a. Reconnect the battery terminals, get in the car, close the door
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
step 4a. Wait, it took about 20-50 seconds for it to start loading. Don't touch anything, let it complete the process.
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal. [QUOTE]
Old 11-27-22, 09:51 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

None of these steps have worked for me. The first time it happened, I drove about 15 miles and suddenly the ‘Loading SD Card’ screen came up and the problem was resolved.

Now I have a blank screen & no radio functions again. I’ve tried these steps repeatedly and also had the battery load tested – It’s good. I’ve driven several hundred miles since the radio died hoping it would fix itself again – no luck!

Just curious, has anyone had a positive outcome from a Lexus dealer fixing this pervasive issue? I don’t consider paying $2,000+ for a new radio a positive outcome.
Old 11-29-22, 06:44 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Question for you all who faced this black screen or restarting issue with the navigation.

I have had it replaced luckily under warranty 2x. I want to buy the apple/android carplay upgrade that most people have bought.

Will that prevent the black screen or navigation restarting issue since it is using another interface?
Old 12-10-22, 01:12 PM
gevghaza
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swtjen101
Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!
This does not work for my Lexus IS 300 F-Sport 2018. I have bought full screen monitor because mine was the small one. So when I press the start button it shows lexus emblem just a second then the black/blue screen . I hear also radio messing sound. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 01-18-23, 05:11 PM
hstfelix
1st Gear

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!
it worked for me. Thanks
Old 01-19-23, 04:44 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

The above fix didn't work for me. I've tried it several times - even left the battery unplugged for 24 hours one time. I also replaced a good battery hoping that would revive the display. My situation is slightly different. I have Heat/AC controls but no radio. Like others, I get the Lexus logo on startup and the backup display work, nothing else. This is the 2nd time I've had this problem. First time, it resolved itself after driving about 100 miles; suddenly the screen came on and displayed the 'Loading SD Card' screen. After that everything was good, even the presets. This time I have driven >1,000 miles and it's still broken with no idea how how resolve this.
Old 03-22-23, 04:30 PM
efstone
2nd gear

Default The battery-unplug + start + radio power worked for me!

The instructions repeated here several times about unplugging the battery for 10 minutes, then plugging it in, then turning on auxiliary power, then pushing the power button on the radio totally worked for me! (2016 ES350)

Last edited by efstone; 03-22-23 at 04:31 PM. Reason: include year/model
Old 03-23-23, 12:15 PM
efstone
2nd gear

Default This worked! But what if it keeps happening?

Hope this helps!
This worked for me as well! But then everything failed again the next morning… Suggestions on dealing with this issue if it repeats itself? I can’t be unplugging my battery for 10 minutes every single day. (Also 10 minutes worked for me rather than 30)
The following users liked this post:
mojomusic72 (01-24-24)
Old 03-27-23, 08:30 AM
RicardoV23
1st Gear

Question Other options besides replacing unit

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix the black nav screen issue that has occurred throughout this thread without replacing the unit. I have been looking for radio units, at Lexus they want to charge me $3K, and I checked on ebay and through this website called car-parts.com and they were priced around $1.2K. I'm wondering if there is either a way such as replacing the SD card that could solve this or any way to reboot the radio other than the one I've seen on this thread; disconnecting the battery for 10+ mins then put in "on" position and all that. Or if by chance anyone has had a solution where they contacted Lexus and they were able to reach a resolution like was there a recall for the 2014 Lexus IS250 mine specifically is an F-sport.
Old 03-27-23, 12:14 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoV23
Does anyone know if there is a way to fix the black nav screen issue that has occurred throughout this thread without replacing the unit. I have been looking for radio units, at Lexus they want to charge me $3K, and I checked on ebay and through this website called car-parts.com and they were priced around $1.2K. I'm wondering if there is either a way such as replacing the SD card that could solve this or any way to reboot the radio other than the one I've seen on this thread; disconnecting the battery for 10+ mins then put in "on" position and all that. Or if by chance anyone has had a solution where they contacted Lexus and they were able to reach a resolution like was there a recall for the 2014 Lexus IS250 mine specifically is an F-sport.
I guess if were me, I wire the power lead to the unit through a switch, so I could just cut the power to the unit without disconnecting the battery.
Old 03-28-23, 05:49 PM
2014LFSTy
1st Gear

Question Navigation keeps restarting

Currently having this issue of my navigation screen booting up the Enform screen, once its gets to the caution it will reboot repeatedly. I have tried a hard reset by removing the negative terminal for 30+ minutes and no luck, I also checked the fuse on the interior of the driver side and checked the 15AMP which is the radio fuse and it looks fine. I am not really sure what to do at this point as I do not want to spend $300 taking it to the dealer. Has anyone got some insight on what else to do or what the issue is? It all started a week or two after my passenger headlight died and it has been happening since.

Quick Reply: Navigation screen black...🤔