IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Navigation screen black...🤔

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 08:35 PM
Makster
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

it happen on me today, the screen is blank, no sound, check the fuse is ok...what could it be! i hope is not the radio it self...
now i cant control even i press the home button...no screen. i need help!
The following 3 users liked this post by Makster:
Bumble24 (10-18-19), FSprtRC350 (05-29-20), WhiteBusa (06-11-19)
Old 05-13-19, 05:14 PM
jcuel945
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swtjen101
Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
1. Remove the battery terminals for positive and negative
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!
Man I did the battery thing for 30 minutes and it did work just fine let's see what happen tomorrow.
thank you so much
2014 Is 350
The following 2 users liked this post by jcuel945:
RedLexus12 (09-29-23), WhiteBusa (06-11-19)
Old 05-15-19, 07:04 PM
rawlinsl
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Happened to me last Friday on my '14 IS250. Been a rough week with no Nav/ Radio. I've tried pulling the fuse and leaving the battery unplugged. No luck. I have an appointment with Lexus scheduled tomorrow, hopefully they are able to diagnose and resolve.
The following 2 users liked this post by rawlinsl:
Bumble24 (10-18-19), Lexo14 (12-01-19)
Old 06-25-19, 07:47 AM
royalcity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/QUOTE][Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!][/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the info.
It works for my vehicle, now I don't have to bring it to the dealership. Saves me alot of free time that otherwise would be wasted spending 4+ hours waiting at the service center. THANKS!
Old 09-07-19, 11:01 AM
Beannie25
Driver School Candidate

Default Black out navigation on 2016 rc 200t

[QUOTE=HOMER350;10490327]Nice write-up.

Homer350 Thank you very much.
I had exchange cars with my boyfriend to take it for an oil change and I ended up leaving him my car for a week since I was on call and have a hectic schedule. When I returned to exchange cars that when he told me the navigation was not working. So I was so upset and confused to how and why this would happen. I began to YouTube my issue and nothing came up. So I took my car to my mechanic and while waiting on him I googled my issue online to be on the safe side and this is when I found this thread. Thank goodness I told my mechanic to do exactly what you stayed and I’m back up and running thanks to you. My batterie did have some dried up acid on the negative portion of the battery, so I had him clean that off. Maybe it time for a new battery but till then my car is fixed. Thank you life saver.

Last edited by Beannie25; 09-07-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 09:10 PM
manni
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio wont turn on/ Replaced airbags

Hey everyone I have slightly different situation I purchased 2016 lexus is 350 f sport on an auction and when I got it didn't have key so first I got it programmed and got he car started anyways car was repaired fully or i think. So we replaced all the airbags that were out and rest the srs module but my radio doesn't work its not powering on the lcd is black screen but it does turn on when backing up and shows the feed from back up camera. The radio unit cd exit button works and little back light leds work on the radio but radio does not turn on. On the steering wheel we changed the airbag but not the spiral cable with sensor sub*assembly. On the steering wheel none of audio or radio buttons work but on right of the steering wheel radar distance and other buttons work. I have checked fuses in the engine bay and under the steering wheel, im pretty sure i dont have any bad fuses but i can check again. If anyone can guide me in the right direction I would much appreciate it. Thanks once again
Old 09-12-19, 05:16 AM
milimart
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue. I needed to replace radio unit. You can check + an - it’s for lexus is 2016.

Originally Posted by wdwinder
OK, checked fuses. all are good. Still no luck.
Did I read someone saying to ground the positive lead (once detached from battery) ? I imagine that should be harmless and just speed up the draining of any caps that might keep electronics alive for a bit. Anybody know otherwise?
just noticed this thread is for 3rd gen. Sorry

The following users liked this post:
E46CT (09-12-19)
Old 09-12-19, 07:08 AM
manni
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Ok Thanks I can check the voltage on those.
Old 09-13-19, 10:43 AM
ylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

UGH.. I have a 2014 IS 250 and out of no where my Audio went out and screen is black! My back up camera still works, but my USB adapter is out and I also noticed that my mirror sensors are no longer turning on. I was thinking maybe a fuse, but the screen/radio has been turning on and off maybe once or twice a day for a matter of seconds. I can also see the USB light flickering and at night I can see the actual screen flicker. I haven't had any problems with the battery so thinking it might be some kind of short. Do you guys think the whole battery trick posted on here will do the job? Thank you.

Last edited by ylexus; 10-30-19 at 04:58 PM.
Bumble24 (10-18-19)
Old 09-13-19, 12:47 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

This was an issue with the 2IS as well. My friend has the IS350 w/ ML sound system and his screen is black. but get this.. he has NO AC. no hvac control. so he has to drive with the windows down until its fixed.
Old 09-17-19, 01:51 PM
Demz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

Hope this helps!
I made an account just to thank you, you saved me a lot and I meant it. Thank you so much and your solution did help!
efstone (03-23-23)
Old 09-30-19, 08:28 PM
dschaefer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps!
Thanks Jen! Add me to the list of success stories with this procedure. I waited 24 minutes disconnected and followed your steps verbatim. I had just replaced my battery in my 2015 RC350. I had kept the car powered the whole time via a battery tender to avoid any issues. I was shocked when I saw my black Nav screen.

Note:
step 2a. Reconnect the battery terminals. Too obvious huh?
step 4a. Wait, it took about 20-50 seconds for it to start loading. Don't touch anything, let it complete the process.

I was so happy to see this screen come to life! Thanks Again!!!!
Bumble24 (10-18-19)
Old 10-02-19, 12:17 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope this helps!
Lucky me, the radio problem has not happen to me yet. I'll keep this in mind.
I think the reason why this procedure work.
The radio receiver has 2 sources for power (retain memory = always on/battery, and working mode = ignition control/ACC)
- When the battery dead/replace, The radio lost the memory. Let call this portion of memory a cache/ram or (a hibernation file like Windows if you use hibernate). This piece of cache file help the radio restart faster (wake up from sleep). Just like how fast a Windows PC boot up depend on whether the PC start from cold boot, hibernate or sleep.
- When new battery install/connect, the radio has power but no code to run.
- When turn on the car, if there is no 'cache' file, the radio will restore this 'cache' file from a permanent backup location (SIM as refer above, but I don't think it from a SIM card, but whatever...)
- Without stop an wait for the restore process to complete (in case you start the cart the ACC power is cut off, the radio is restart once the engine run), the cache file is corrupted.
- On the next start up/power on, if there is a cache file, so the radio doesn't initiate a restore. However it can't restart or doesn't work because the 'cache' file is corrupted.

I hope I am correct with the explanation of how the process work and why it work by follow the steps above. I just want to understand why some process work while not other which help troubleshoot better.
Please correct if that isn't the case.
Bumble24 (10-18-19)
Old 10-03-19, 06:24 AM
dschaefer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MatrixPC.... my radio worked fine, I could hear it, change stations and make adjustments to Climate controls (all part of the same system). The problem was the scren above. It was black, no power being sent to it. What I'm trying to say is the "cache" seemed intact and was in use after the battery install. In fact, after 20+ minutes with no battery, it was still in use. I did not lose any radio settings for example.
mojomusic72 (01-24-24)
Old 10-10-19, 10:11 PM
Gmeao
Driver School Candidate

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for help. I have same problem too my gps screen was black out after jump start. And I went to the Lexus service they can’t find out what happened. I pay $177 also they were asking to change whole radio system too. And than I try what you wrote and it did work thx again save a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Navigation screen black...🤔