IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2008 Lesus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 09:23 AM
Tony725
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Lesus ES350

The battery on my ES 350 suddenly dies, totally drained overnight, no panel lightm not even the horn worked, since battery was only 3 months old, I took it back and they fully recharged it (i have the results) i re-isntalled in car, now i have panel lights and horn works but I press the start button and not even a whimper, i replaced the battery in my smart key and followed the following post which had worked for me when I had the same problem last year "Make sure a smartkey is not in the car. Disconnect battery for 10 minutes. Then reconnect battery, the car has t get an unlock signal for the smart key to work again so once you connect the battery make sure you lock and then unlock the doors with the remote before you enter the car and try to start it, this is a security lockdown." Thi time nothing, the smart key won't lockor unlock doors even though it has a brand new battery.
Old 03-18-17, 09:56 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Try this first and report back if it doesn't work:

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE:
1. Confirm that the DCC fuse is installed.
NOTE: If DCC fuse is NOT installed, install at this time.

2. Place the shift lever in the “P” position.

3. Open and close the driver’s side door.
NOTE: If DCC fuse is NOT installed, install at this time.
NOTE: This will start an initialization process between the Steering Lock ECU and the Junction Block ECU.

4. Depress the brake pedal.

5. Press the engine “START STOP” switch.

In case this doesn't work, there is another procedure to try, but I can't find it at the moment.
Old 03-18-17, 10:12 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the other procedure...and very similar.
What they don't mention between steps 1a and b is to move the shifter to neutral and then back to Park as indicated in step 1b.

INITIALIZATION

HINT: In vehicles equipped with the smart access system with push-button start function, the starting function may not operate after recharging or while jump-starting a discharged battery. This condition is most common if the battery voltage drops below 9 V. The following procedure has been developed to address this condition.1. INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

(a) Confirm that the short pin is installed.

HINT: If the short pin fuse is not installed, install it at this time.
Personal note: Press the START/STOP button twice WITHOUT stepping on the brake pedal, this should put the vehicle in Ignition ON mode. Step on the brake pedal and shift the vehicle to neutral, then go to step (b) next.

(b) Move the shift lever to the P position.
Personal note: Release the brake pedal.

(c) Turn the engine switch off. (Press START/STOP once to go from Ignition ON to vehicle off)

(d) Open the driver's door.

HINT:

Opening the driver's door will start an initialization process between the steering lock ECU and the engine room J/B.

(e) Depress the brake pedal.

(f) Press the "START STOP" switch.
Old 03-18-17, 11:18 AM
Tony725
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man you're a genius, the second procedure worked on the first try, I can't thank you enough....
Old 03-18-17, 05:59 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony725
Man you're a genius, the second procedure worked on the first try, I can't thank you enough....
You're welcome Tony...glad to help.
Old 03-19-17, 08:51 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You're welcome Tony...glad to help.
i know you're Lexus master Tech worked in Lexus Downtown ? lol haha
Old 03-19-17, 08:54 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
i know you're Lexus master Tech worked in Lexus Downtown ? lol haha
Lol...close, but I never worked for Lexus or in Toronto.
Old 03-19-17, 08:56 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Talking

Lol...close, but I never worked for Lexus or in Toronto.
Lexus of Richmond Hill right ?
Old 03-31-17, 01:12 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having issues with my isf unlocking with the remote. Also while driving once it said key not detected. I'm going to try this to fix it. I've switched remotes and replaced batteries.

The short pin couldn't be the issue since it's a 2008. Correct?

Last edited by Greatest; 03-31-17 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-31-17, 05:01 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Greatest
I'm having issues with my isf unlocking with the remote. Also while driving once it said key not detected. I'm going to try this to fix it. I've switched remotes and replaced batteries.

The short pin couldn't be the issue since it's a 2008. Correct?
The short pin is installed when the vehicle is first delivered...so back in 2008.
It looks like a fuse, but has no number written on it as it's a jumper pin, not actually a fuse.

Switching remotes and changing the battery is the best first step you can do. Likely it's just the battery in the remote dying that was causing the issue.

The system that unlocks the door when you press the remote button, and the system that detects the key inside the car, are two completely separate systems. The common denominator is the key.

Let me know if it still acts up again.
The following users liked this post:
Greatest (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 05:58 AM
Greatest
Driver

The short pin is installed when the vehicle is first delivered...so back in 2008.
It looks like a fuse, but has no number written on it as it's a jumper pin, not actually a fuse.

Switching remotes and changing the battery is the best first step you can do. Likely it's just the battery in the remote dying that was causing the issue.

The system that unlocks the door when you press the remote button, and the system that detects the key inside the car, are two completely separate systems. The common denominator is the key.

I will. I'm going to try the batteries today and see what happens. I have tried different batteries, but they're eBay cheap ones. I'll get some better ones today. It just seems weird that it locks fine but won't unlock.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-05-17, 01:32 AM
Greatest
Driver

Ok. I switched batteries. In both remotes. The unlock still doesn't work. It worlds if I grab the handle and all other features work. The trunk and lock both work. Just not the unlock function via the remote. Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-17, 06:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Need to clarify a few items first:
  1. Is the UNLOCK function (pressing the UNLOCK button) inoperative on both remotes?
  2. Does the vehicle Answerback when you press the UNLOCK button? (Answerback meaning that park lights flash twice and the beeper sounds)
  3. If there is no Answerback, do the doors (or at least Driver's door) physically unlock?
Old 04-05-17, 06:39 AM
Greatest
Driver

Need to clarify a few items first:
  1. Is the UNLOCK function (pressing the UNLOCK button) inoperative on both remotes?
  2. Does the vehicle Answerback when you press the UNLOCK button? (Answerback meaning that park lights flash twice and the beeper sounds)
  3. If there is no Answerback, do the doors (or at least Driver's door) physically unlock?
Yes. Doesn't work on either remote
no. It doesn't answer back and no doors unlock.
Old 04-05-17, 07:56 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

When sitting inside the vehicle with everything off, use the Master switch on the Driver's door to Lock and Unlock all the doors.
Operate the switch a few times slowly in each direction and look at each of the interior door locks as you operate the switch.
You are looking for signs that the lock is not moving all the way to the Lock/Unlock position or is moving slowly compared to the other doors.
Or on the off chance that one lock is not even moving at all.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lesus ES350