IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2008 Lesus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-17, 08:00 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
When sitting inside the vehicle with everything off, use the Master switch on the Driver's door to Lock and Unlock all the doors.
Operate the switch a few times slowly in each direction and look at each of the interior door locks as you operate the switch.
You are looking for signs that the lock is not moving all the way to the Lock/Unlock position or is moving slowly compared to the other doors.
Or on the off chance that one lock is not even moving at all.
Ok. Will do as soon as I get off work. Thanks for your help. A lot.
Old 04-05-17, 11:50 AM
Greatest
Driver

They all work perfectly.
Old 04-05-17, 11:56 AM
Greatest
Driver

When sitting inside the vehicle with everything off, use the Master switch on the Driver's door to Lock and Unlock all the doors.
Operate the switch a few times slowly in each direction and look at each of the interior door locks as you operate the switch.
You are looking for signs that the lock is not moving all the way to the Lock/Unlock position or is moving slowly compared to the other doors.
Or on the off chance that one lock is not even moving at all.
I did it and they all work perfectly.
Old 04-05-17, 05:19 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatest
I did it and they all work perfectly.
Is the UNLOCK issue occurring intermittently or does it happen all the time?

I should have explained why I was asking to check the locks when you operate the switch. When a door lock actuator is starting to fail, sometimes it will start to move slow, before it finally stops working altogether.
That slow movement can be seen sometimes when you operate the master lock switch...the lock on the affected door may not move all the way or move slower than the rest.
A failing door lock actuator can cause the problem that you are having.
I'll ask a buddy of mine tomorrow...we've both seen this before, but his long term memory is better than mine...probably his short term memory is better than mine. (Hahaha!) There's a limited number of things that will cause this condition.
There is that absolute one in a million chance that both remote UNLOCK buttons have packed it in...but I highly doubt it...it would be time to buy a Powerball ticket if that happened.
Old 04-06-17, 12:03 AM
Greatest
Driver

Is the UNLOCK issue occurring intermittently or does it happen all the time?

I should have explained why I was asking to check the locks when you operate the switch. When a door lock actuator is starting to fail, sometimes it will start to move slow, before it finally stops working altogether.
That slow movement can be seen sometimes when you operate the master lock switch...the lock on the affected door may not move all the way or move slower than the rest.
A failing door lock actuator can cause the problem that you are having.
I'll ask a buddy of mine tomorrow...we've both seen this before, but his long term memory is better than mine...probably his short term memory is better than mine. (Hahaha!) There's a limited number of things that will cause this condition.
There is that absolute one in a million chance that both remote UNLOCK buttons have packed it in...but I highly doubt it...it would be time to buy a Powerball ticket if that happened.
Thanks again. Yes. I was guessing one actuator may be failing, but they all work flawlessly. If it's something to do with what controls the locks I can't understand why the keyless works fine when you touch the handle.
Old 04-07-17, 08:03 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Checked with my buddy, he agrees it's an actuator going.
I guess the first thing to explain is the actuator has two components: the motor that makes the lock move and the internal switch that tells the computer the lock position.
If the doors are unlocking/locking fine, then it's likely the internal switch that is gone. Without the Lexus scan tool to monitor the doors while the malfunction occurs, it's going to be pretty hard to know which one it is until the actuator fails altogether.
The following users liked this post:
Greatest (04-08-17)