IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tow Hook Plate Mount for Fsport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 09:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Tow Hook Plate Mount for Fsport?

Hello everyone,

I'll be receving my license plate soon, and in CA is required by law for a front plate..

I don't want to drill holes in the grill, so I'm thinking of mounting it on the tow hook space.

Any recommendations for reliable tow hook mounts for a 2016 is350 fsport? I tried looking at amazon and such, but couldn't find any good reviewed ones..

Any other tips on mounting the front plate will be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 02-01-16, 11:06 PM
aivothom
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grimmspeed is the way to go if you absolutely HAVE to have a front plate. I live in NY and I had the grimmspeed for a while but decided to go plateless for a while and I haven't really been bothered by the cops.

Here's the link: http://www.grimmspeed.com/license-pl...s-250-350-isf/

Last edited by aivothom; 02-01-16 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added link
The following users liked this post:
PJSnow (01-13-20)
Old 02-02-16, 12:17 AM
Chiubacca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the grimmspeed license plate bracket. I have it on my white/red IS350 F sport right now.
Old 02-02-16, 12:24 AM
shadykev
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, adding the front plates will destroy the looks of our cars. I live in CA too and haven't been pulled over for no front plates yet.
Old 02-02-16, 12:30 AM
Chiubacca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadykev
Yeah, adding the front plates will destroy the looks of our cars. I live in CA too and haven't been pulled over for no front plates yet.
I also live in CA. I'm in the Bay Area and I've received a ticket for no front license plate while parked in SF. Thank god it's only $10 after you fix it instead of the $110
Old 02-02-16, 09:48 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I got a Grimmspeed one and I love it. The price is worth the quality.
Old 02-02-16, 09:53 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I also live in the Bay Area..

Yeah I did look around and grimspeed seems like the best one out there, but it's $80.. =/

Also, it is safe for the car to leave the tow hook plastic cap off? Would debris and other stuff get into the space? And like rust the area?

I saw a post a while back, someone drilled a hole on the cap for the tow hook screw to pass through.
Old 02-02-16, 10:57 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse

Yeah I did look around and grimspeed seems like the best one out there, but it's $80.. =/

Also, it is safe for the car to leave the tow hook plastic cap off? Would debris and other stuff get into the space? And like rust the area?

I saw a post a while back, someone drilled a hole on the cap for the tow hook screw to pass through.
the whole area behind the bumper cover gets wet in the rain.... if it's going to rust, it would have already. i have my grimspeed on there without the cover for a year now with no issues. now i just need to figure out how to attach a tow strap to the car in case it does need to get hitched from the front.
Old 02-02-16, 12:10 PM
Chiubacca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse

It's pretty safe from debris since the license plate blocks any debris and I agree with above that rain gets in but it hasn't rusted yet.
Old 02-02-16, 01:50 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in California too and have gone without a plate on my cars. No issues over the past 4 years or so. I've heard stories about how they police it in and around SF, so I just put my front plate on my dash when I park in the city.
Old 02-02-16, 02:49 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by harkirath
I'm in California too and have gone without a plate on my cars. No issues over the past 4 years or so. I've heard stories about how they police it in and around SF, so I just put my front plate on my dash when I park in the city.

I rarely go to the city. I live in more suburban areas. However, I do work and stay in San jose at the moment..

I might just get the grimspeed and drill holes in the plastic cap, to prevent any water/debris from going into the two hook space..
Old 02-02-16, 03:10 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Grimmspeed front plate also and it looks pretty good. I'd recommend that you get this one to mount your front if you need it. Right now I've been lazy to put it back on after I took it off so its just been sitting on my front dash.
Old 02-02-16, 06:35 PM
Ekilla
Driver School Candidate

Plate-less ftw!
Old 02-08-16, 02:08 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the butterfly type hollow wall fasteners. I secures something to my grill with those and they work perfectly.
Old 02-08-16, 02:19 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Fkk it, I'm just gonna go plate less for now. xD

Quick Reply: Tow Hook Plate Mount for Fsport?