IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Upshift/Downshift Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-13, 09:43 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upshift/Downshift Question

Upshift/Downshift direction is sometimes different depending on car brand. So, fo the 3IS, if I am in fouth gear, which paddle shifter takes me to thid gear, the "+" or the "-"?

I ask because it is the opposite for BMW vs, Audi. I know, because i accidently took my wife's Audi to the red line trying to shift from third to fourth!
Old 10-19-13, 09:54 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The MINUS "-" paddle...

Also, I only recommend using the paddles when in Manual Mode on the gate shifter...

I've been driving the IS line for over 13 years... So it's normal for me

~ Joe Z
Old 10-19-13, 10:28 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The MINUS "-" paddle...

Also, I only recommend using the paddles when in Manual Mode on the gate shifter...

I've been driving the IS line for over 13 years... So it's normal for me

~ Joe Z
Thanks Joe! Why do you recommend using the paddles only when in Manual Mode in the gate shifter?
Old 10-19-13, 11:53 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CtSFox
Thanks Joe! Why do you recommend using the paddles only when in Manual Mode in the gate shifter?
I did a little research on the GS forum. Someone there said that if you downshift using the paddle shifter while in automatic mode, the transmission will return to D after a few seconds. If you are in manual mode. the car will only upshift to protect the engine. Perhaps this is what Joe Z, meant.

Is this correct information?
Old 10-20-13, 07:53 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

So, my main concern behind my starting this thread was being able to downshift, rather than brake to slow the car to avoid brake dust accumulation. Is the simplest way to do this just hitting the "minus" paddle to slow the car, then either letting the transmission automatically go back to D or holding the "plus" paddle for three seconds after the car slows to return to D?

I am still waiting for the delivery of my car, so I can't just experiment with the actual vehicle. That's why I'm asking all of you. Tx.
Old 10-20-13, 08:09 AM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO, that's not a very good reason to be downshifting but hey, it's not my car. I'd rather clean brake dust than add more wear and tear to the power train, but that's just me.

If you leave the car in automatic mode and command a downshift with the left paddle it will go back into automatic mode on it's own. In my last hot rod (C63), you'd have to hold the right paddle like you mentioned for it to return to automatic mode.

I downshifted on my test drive yesterday and the engine doesn't offer much "braking". On my C63, I could bring the car to a near stop with downshifting alone and it would do it quickly. However that was a different animal all together, so my best recommendation is use the brakes for what they're for and use downshifting for spirited driving.
Old 10-20-13, 09:11 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like unixadm mentioned, yes if in D, hitting - will downshift but not provide much braking because of its smooth rev matching and will not provide much engine braking.

Yes, it will go into D after a few seconds after manually shifting gears with paddles and yes you don't have to shift gear shifter to M to use the paddles which is great.
Old 10-20-13, 09:59 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alexlude
Like unixadm mentioned, yes if in D, hitting - will downshift but not provide much braking because of its smooth rev matching and will not provide much engine braking.

Yes, it will go into D after a few seconds after manually shifting gears with paddles and yes you don't have to shift gear shifter to M to use the paddles which is great.
Thanks! I am getting the AWD version of the IS350 with the 6 speed. If its true that the rev matching is only with/better in the 8 speed, then I might get a little more braking. I used this method to minimize brake dust in my BMW 330. No apparent stress to drivetrain as one poster suggests, as I did this with no harm for 12 years and about 155,000 miles.
Old 10-20-13, 10:02 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
I disagree. Whenever I'm in manual mode I use the transmission to slow the car down and it does a great job. When you use an actual manual to downshift and slow down, you should also be rev-matching then before letting up the clutch. Those who actually use the clutch to slow them down are doing it so so wrong and causing unnecessary wear on their car. But the simple act of being in a lower gear with the engine at higher revs, off the throttle, will slow you down plenty, in all instances.