IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Test drove the IS 350 F-Sport today

Old 10-19-13, 03:59 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Test drove the IS 350 F-Sport today

I've been looking for a smaller sedan that would be fun to drive. I had a 2009 C63 AMG but recently sold it and I've been bored driving ever since. I've narrowed down my search to the IS 350 F-Sport, 335i M-Sport Tech and the Infinity Q50S. I decided to stop by the local Lexus dealer today and I left pretty happy.

I drove an Ultra White with Rijoa Red interior. It did not have ML audio or VGRS, two options that I want. I liked the interior - the red was dulled and not very bright which made it actually look pretty trick. I never thought I'd want red, but in this car I really liked it. Overall, I found the driving experience to be great.. The cockpit fits me pretty well being 6', the seats were comfortable with good support as well. The cluster was really nice, but the joystick style navigation controller was a bit weird. I much preferred the new iDrive touch pad style, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Let's face it, buttons, displays and seats are not the driving experience. I was very pleased with how well the car drove. The suspension soaks up bumps and the car feels tight. The handling was VERY good and honestly I had a lot more confidence in this car than I ever did in my C63 since that car would push like crazy. I got that confidence is only a few miles which is pretty good. I tested everything from ECO to Sport+, automatic and manual shifting. The transmission seems pretty well matched to the engine. The BMW N55 Turbo I6 sounds and performs better without a doubt, but the overall feels of this car has won me over. The BMW sport automatic option also performed better, but not night and day so. I preferred the driving experience in the IS. It's not as fast and it doesn't feel quite as refined at times, but it sure as heck was fun.

The brakes were good, strong with good bite right at the top of the pedal. I loved the steering feel, though feedback was pretty minimal. However like others have said, the steering is so accurate that it makes the car a blast to drive. I think i scared the salesman a couple of times on some corners, but hey I needed to see for myself if it's going to have that "fun factor" I'm after and it did. If VGRS makes it even better then wow!

Money isn't really the point, I can afford a lot more car than this, but why spend more if you can get the same enjoyment? For me, that's what I'm after right now. I have also found some really good deals on the IS 350 F-Sports, well below invoice which makes it even more attractive than a 335i. Seriously, this car is a solid 10-12k less than the $61k sticker '14 335I I was considering ordering (I'm talking discounted price to discounted price for reference, not a MSRP comparison). If it had ventilated seats then I think the interior would have been pretty near perfect for me. The Nav screen is a little small for this price point, but it gets the job done. The BMW HUD was cool and a feature I would actually use, but I know you have to step up to the GS to get it.

If I order, it's going to be:

1. 2014 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport (Ultra White or Atomic SIlver [I don't think we can get this color] with Rioja Red Interior)
2. Highest End F-Sport Package
3. VGRS Option
4. PCS and Adaptive Cruise
5. Remote Start
6. ML Audio Upgrade

Not sure I want to wait and I'm going to lease for 24 months, 12k per year with 9 security deposits. It's my first lease, but the residuals are pretty good and I go through cars like I do underwear.

I wish I had it sitting in my driveway, I had a blast!

PS: I'm not a fanboy of anything. I've owned a lot of vehicles and brands. I'm not afraid to change or take a risk to try something different. If the price difference wasn't as much, then I'd probably opt for the 335i because that power-train is simply amazing. Plus with a plugin $400 tune device, you can easily add another 50whp and be well into the 12's. Fast is also fun, however maybe next time BMW.
Old 10-19-13, 04:53 PM
js1011
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unixadm
I go through cars like I do underwear.
Dope! Someone make that their sig, lol! Nice write up. The car is fun.
Old 10-19-13, 06:22 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

I'll make it mine if I get this thing. Working the deal right now on a lease. Good residual numbers on this car for a 24 month term. I'm looking at:

MSRP $48,300 (F-Sport, ML Audio, BSM, VGRS)
Vehicle Price: $43,715
$5,670 Due At Signing, $4050 of that are multiple security deposits to lower the Money Factor
$412 a month for 24 months, 24k miles

I might opt for the Lexus Lease Protection which covers tires and such. It won't change the payment much.

Now I just wait and hope this goes through. If so, I should have it within two weeks.
Old 10-19-13, 07:02 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unixadm
I'll make it mine if I get this thing. Working the deal right now on a lease. Good residual numbers on this car for a 24 month term. I'm looking at:

MSRP $48,300 (F-Sport, ML Audio, BSM, VGRS)
Vehicle Price: $43,715
$5,670 Due At Signing, $4050 of that are multiple security deposits to lower the Money Factor
$412 a month for 24 months, 24k miles

I might opt for the Lexus Lease Protection which covers tires and such. It won't change the payment much.

Now I just wait and hope this goes through. If so, I should have it within two weeks.
43k for Fsport with VGRS and ML Audio? That's a good deal!
Old 10-19-13, 07:08 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Yeah - that's why I'm trying to get the deal done!
Old 10-19-13, 07:47 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it 43k final otd price? that's would consider a good buy today otherwise...
Old 10-19-13, 08:04 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably not, price before T+L
Old 10-19-13, 08:34 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

No. Remember, I'm leasing. I'll spend about $1,400 that I won't ever see again at the time of close, the rest I'll get back at the end of the lease.
Old 10-20-13, 05:58 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Looks like the deal is going through after I've been "cyber pacing" all day checking my email for updates. The original car I had located ended up being used as a dealer demo car. The dealership I'm working with was able to find another one that had the extra accessories (trunk mat, wheel locks, cargo net and bumper appliqué). It seems they have secured the car so now I just need to get the paperwork done.

I did get ML audio, VGRS, BSM in Ultra White with Rioja Red interior. Love this color combination.