IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone Trade their 2IS for the 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Lets just wait for the reviews, and if Lexus pulls off what i'd consider to be a miracle and the 3IS 350 is significantly faster than the 2IS 350 I'll gladly eat some humble pie and never again pre-judge a Lexus vehicles performance. If however its roughly equal, or less than the 2IS, you stop claiming I need to drive the car first. Deal?
My question is, why does it have to be "significantly faster"? Its plenty fast already compared to its competition...at some point there is a level of diminishing return, especially when fuel economy comes into play.

As for driving the car first, sorry but I believe in having first hand experience before I pass judgement on something.

Originally Posted by natnut
Judging a car by 0-60 or quarter mile times is the crudest way of assessing a car. For example the previous gen BMW E90 330i was never the fastest or most powerful sedan in its segment when compared to its competition yet was widely acknowledged to be the best driver's car.Seems like you're quibbling over internet specs cos you're reaching for a reason to dislike the car and don't want an actual test drive to change your ( already made-up)mind.
Two big thumbs up to this...
Old 01-28-13, 04:55 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
My question is, why does it have to be "significantly faster"? Its plenty fast already compared to its competition...at some point there is a level of diminishing return, especially when fuel economy comes into play.
Why? Because it puts a bigger smile on my face. A Dinan reprogrammed ECU on a 335i/is gives me that option and it's is the same class as the IS with fuel mileage that I find perfectly acceptable given it's performance.

You're also under the misconception that acceleration is all I care about. It isn't, except that's one area where I feel the 3IS will at best, only match the 2IS. I don't buy a new car very often, about once every 5-7 years (my current IS 350 is a 2006 model that I bought in 2005) so I'm right around that time frame now. Every single new car I've purchased did everything better than my previous car, some things a little better, other things a lot better, at least everything that was important to me. I don't feel the 3IS would hold true to that tradition.

Now if I didn't have a vehicle at all and ~$50K to spend on one, I'd more than likely pick the 3IS over the 2IS. I'm not saying it's not a better car overall. What I am saying is the delta between the two is less than I was hoping for, and a big part of that is going to be it's power plant.

As for driving the car first, sorry but I believe in having first hand experience before I pass judgement on something.
Of course you do, I'm sure you test drive every single car in your price range before you make the judgement that you don't want it.

Anyway, all this is sounding very familiar, if you feel like asking me the same questions again, feel free to PM me and try and convince me in there that I don't want a faster car. Putting the debate on repeat in the public thread isn't doing anyone any favors.

As far as a test drive. I fully intend to drive one the next time I take my car in for service and they have them on the lot. If the car is head and shoulders above mine by such an extent that it makes me forget or not care that it isn't any faster, i'll be sure and post the good news.

Last edited by Ramon; 01-28-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 06:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Ramon, I think you've stated your opinions pretty clearly and this thread is growing increasingly antagonistic. Let's move on please.
Originally Posted by Ramon
Putting the debate on repeat in the public thread isn't doing anyone any favors.
Ramon, ^ this.... Asked once already. Please take the back and forth to pm.
Old 01-28-13, 10:22 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are diggin' the 3IS. We do plan on selling the 2011 IS250 for a 3IS 350 F Sport. However, this time I am picking the color. :-)
Old 01-30-13, 04:00 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will never trade for this... unless there were some significant performance gain. Period... no thanks... I'd probably trade for 335i tho... RAMON I agree with you 200%
Old 02-04-13, 12:03 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

After seeing it in person. I don't think i'm going to go for 3IS.
I don't like the look of it (especially the front end, open grill)
Old 04-07-13, 11:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 3IS versus 2IS debut... compare/contrast...

I wasn't around CL in 2005 to experience the joys and cries of the 2IS's reveal. For those who were around, how did it compare to the 3IS debut? What I'd be most interested in is how much people were up in arms over the new body and interior compared to the 3IS debut. I'm sure there was rejoice over the new 3.5 V6. But with no new engines here, a mechanical comparison would be tough. What about interior materials? Were we as focused on that compared to how we are today? So what was the consensus like? Did we make the same claims at the time that we are making now in 3IS? Have we changed our tune over the 2IS as time has gone on? Would we do the same with the 3IS as time goes on? Is TIME all we need to love the new IS? Does this whole pyschological process repeat itself when it comes to most new car debuts? Let's compare and learn from history. It could help us see the new IS better or in a different way. I've learned over the decades my initial reaction to most new car debuts is negative, but often improve once a few months of seeing them on the road takes place.
*Discuss*
Old 04-08-13, 02:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I wasn't around CL in 2005 to experience the joys and cries of the 2IS's reveal. For those who were around, how did it compare to the 3IS debut? What I'd be most interested in is how much people were up in arms over the new body and interior compared to the 3IS debut. I'm sure there was rejoice over the new 3.5 V6. But with no new engines here, a mechanical comparison would be tough. What about interior materials? Were we as focused on that compared to how we are today? So what was the consensus like? Did we make the same claims at the time that we are making now in 3IS? Have we changed our tune over the 2IS as time has gone on? Would we do the same with the 3IS as time goes on? Is TIME all we need to love the new IS? Does this whole pyschological process repeat itself when it comes to most new car debuts? Let's compare and learn from history. It could help us see the new IS better or in a different way. I've learned over the decades my initial reaction to most new car debuts is negative, but often improve once a few months of seeing them on the road takes place.
*Discuss*
every time new generation comes out, few of the old owners cry foul :-).

similar to 3GS vs 4GS, we still have few 3GS owners hating on 4GS, which is obviously superior vehicle.
Old 04-08-13, 02:41 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think 3GS to 4GS update is great. If I need a larger car and have the money I'll get a 450h F-sport over the competitors. It looks great and successfully made the 3GS looks dated. But I don't feel the same with the 3IS. I like half of it and don't like the rest of half of it. The test car I checked out was a 300h f-sport in white pearl. Compare it to my 2012 f-sport in white pearl it didn't makes my car looks dated. So I didn't get that wow feeling like when I first saw the 2IS. Maybe Lexus will make it looks better inside out on next refresh. Who knows.
Old 04-08-13, 02:06 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I owned a 1IS and I currently have a 2IS, the 2IS blows the the 1IS out of the water in my opinion. I dont feel that the 3IS does that to the 2IS, maybe its a lack of new engine or whatever, but as of right now I'm not trading my IS350 in on a new one.
Old 04-08-13, 02:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BLexodus
I owned a 1IS and I currently have a 2IS, the 2IS blows the the 1IS out of the water in my opinion. I dont feel that the 3IS does that to the 2IS, maybe its a lack of new engine or whatever, but as of right now I'm not trading my IS350 in on a new one.
there is probably nothing that will blow away your IS350 for the same price... except for the age maybe, or if we forget the price, next IS-F :-).

More and more I look at my 2IS, it looks more and more dated, but just only still... i think with 3IS seen on the road, the feeling will grow. I could still invest in some springs, wheels, spoiler kits to keep it somewhat fresh.
Old 04-08-13, 04:59 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Have we changed our tune over the 2IS as time has gone on? Would we do the same with the 3IS as time goes on?
Short answer yes. It is a cycle as with any vehicle
Old 04-08-13, 08:13 PM
LexFather

When the 2IS debuted it was pretty much universally loved. The biggest complaints were no 2Jz and altezZas were gone and no manual with the big engine. It was as good as a launch as you can get.

In contrast the front end of the 3IS is hit or miss though it seems to be growing on people, the interior is also hit or miss with people, carryover engines are not helping its case and now the F sport lack of options isn't a hit either. So far it seems to have hit the mark with its drive and sport.
Old 04-08-13, 08:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
When the 2IS debuted it was pretty much universally loved. The biggest complaints were no 2Jz and altezZas were gone and no manual with the big engine. It was as good as a launch as you can get.

In contrast the front end of the 3IS is hit or miss though it seems to be growing on people, the interior is also hit or miss with people, carryover engines are not helping its case and now the F sport lack of options isn't a hit either. So far it seems to have hit the mark with its drive and sport.
well, so far if we are keeping counts, 1 person didnt like the interior live and 7-8 did :-)
Old 04-08-13, 09:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

Then I'm not imagining. The introduction of the 2IS seems to have been better received and less controversial than the 3IS. There seems to be a sizable difference of opinions with the exterior styling, some with interior design/trim, and I think most were disappointed with the carryover engines. I hope Lexus finds a way to keep the IS ontop of people's buy list.

Quick Reply: Anyone Trade their 2IS for the 3IS