IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone Trade their 2IS for the 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 05:56 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
When I was driving GS250, it felt crazy slow, even though its 0-100kmh is not bad at all (for a car in Europe).... but probably all the sound isolation makes it feel a lot slower than reality.
That probably because you currently driving a GS350.
Old 07-17-13, 06:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
That probably because you currently driving a GS350.
IS220d now :-)
Old 07-17-13, 06:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The addition of the 8-speed in the IS and other cars is to improve fuel economy. Has little to do with acceleration.
The 3IS putting on weight is what should be faulted with the redesign. In this day and time, no new car should be going in that direction.
even gaining much needed 3 inches of rear legroom and a bigger trunk?
Old 07-17-13, 08:16 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Geez, where is my friend Natnut?
I test drove the 3IS and signed on the dotted line, but surprize surprize.

Firstly, the exterior of the 3IS is good, but the tail end styling of the 4GS is fine and can hold its own.
However, the interior shape and styling of the 3IS really puts the 4GS dash board to shame.
It makes the 4GS dashboard look like an old man's car.
The 4GS dashboard is totally out for me, so that's why I suspect this may be one of the major reasons why the 4GS is not selling as well as its predecessor across America.

Secondly, the space.
The 3IS has increased legroom, however vertically, it is well short of the class leading C Class and the 3 Series for space.

Thirdly, the new 3IS performance and handling.
The 3IS actually felt slower both in the straight line, and around corners.
For the first time, I now feel that the 3IS is underpowered and their V6's are aging.
I didn't really feel that the 8 speed auto made much difference at all, and I am very sensitive; I don't think most average citizens will notice any difference between the 6 speed and 8 speed units.
I feel that the powertrain is no longer great, but it is at least decent and competent.

The new 3IS does have heavier power steering, with more feel; perhaps a bit too heavy in the weighting in fact.

Please take note that these stories that the 3IS has sharper handling than its predecessors are NOT true at all.
The new 3IS has gone the same way as the competition - getting bigger and heavier with successive generations.
I would still classify the 3IS handling as sharp, with quick changes in direction and high terminal grip, though not as quick, nor grippy as the out-going 2IS.
The old 2IS is in-turn, bigger and heavier, and not as quick around corners as the original 1IS of the year 2000.

However, the 3IS has the very best ride ever!
The new 3IS has a superb ride.
That long wheelbase and extra weight really helps.
The spring rates, spring travel, and damping rates are perfect.
Even the F Sport has a superb ride; maybe they should have made the F Sport firmer?
IMO, the first and second generation IS, both had rides that were too firm for day to day driving; Lexus finally got it right!

I know that guys like Natnut love the chassis dynamics.
However, I do understand that the mass public prefer the growth of cars with age, to get bigger, heavier, softer, and more comfortable, with more sales.
The 3 Series has indeed grown bigger, heavier, and softer.
Where the 3IS differs from the 3 Series, is that the 3IS has superior damping rates - the 3 Series is too floaty and insecure around corners - referring to the standard base model suspension rates.
Unfortunately, what is good for the mass public and sales, won't necessarily be good for the enthusiast.

The 3IS noise is very interesting.
Unlike the Camry and 4GS which have become louder under acceleration, the 3IS, especially the 2.5 version remains quiet under acceleration.
I don't think the 3IS, especially the 3IS250 will have much talk about some noisy and deliberately sporty induction system as in the 4GS?

Overall, 3IS is a step in the right direction for the mass public; though I'm not sure enthusiasts would all agree.
Though it does have great styling for the enthusiast, outside and inside.
Yes, the round buttons on the steering wheel are cheap, but nevermind, life is never perfect; humans always take 3 steps forwards, and 1 step backwards.

Thanks to the superb reliability, the superb ride, and the attractive exterior and interior [which really puts 4GS to shame], I refused to wait any longer for the 2015 facelifted 4.5GS, so I signed on the dotted line with the 3IS.
Knowing Lexus, it is highly unlikely that they will give their facelifted 2015 4.5GS a new dashboard with a totally different shape.
However, I do admire the materials and fit/finish of the plastics and leather in the GS, and I love the 4GS huge sat nav.
In real life, the 3IS sat nav is bigger and more functional than it looks [it is in fact superbly legible], however the 3IS could always take advantage of the situation, and make their sat nav even bigger again.

My C Class has only done 40,000 miles, but just got a new alternator for $1k, and a new driver's ignition switch for $2k last December, and a $2k heater earlier - so no more European cars for me until they really really improve themselves on that front.

Future improvements to the next generation 4IS?
3IS styling may need to be toned down a little for the mass public? 3IS styling probably too aggressive for most members of the mass public.
Maybe Lexus should have 2 different body versions of the IS? One taller and boxier body for the mass public, and a second, lower, more angular, and swoopier body for enthusiasts???
The 3IS cabin needs increased height; it is presently too low and therefore too small for most members of the mass public.
Although the 3IS front cabin is decently wide, the rear cabin tapers narrow due to the 3IS styling, so the next gen 4IS will have to improve here, because most members of the public will still find the 3IS too small and squeezy.
The 3IS needs a new range of engines!

Apart from that, the 3IS is a great car.
The 3IS finally has a superb ride that I've been looking for over the last 15 years.
It has a decent, though aging engine.
The 3IS chassis dynamics is excellent considering its extra size and weight.
Incidentally, reports that the weight of the 3IS has only increased by 50 lbs are NOT true; the 3IS is more like 100 to 200 lbs heavier than the outgoing model, depending on specifications, and that's also how it feels when you actually drive it...

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-17-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 06:24 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Forbes compares the 2IS and the 3IS

I stumbled across this review. Interesting read that sums up the appeal of the 3IS well.

"It really doesn’t matter what version you pick—250 versus 350, rear- or all-wheel-drive, plain or F Sport. Every version of the 2014 Lexus IS is a quantum leap over its predecessor."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd...ve-and-review/
Old 12-13-13, 03:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2IS to 3IS Owners Thread

I know we have a lot of owners coming from different car brands but how many out there are former 2IS owners. I had a 06 IS350 Sport/ML before just got my 2014 IS a couple days ago. So far loving the car and hte 3IS is a big improvement in almost every way. I especially love the new seat and driving position, it feels so cockpit like. I fine tuned my seat positions today and now it feels like my friends 370Z. Now when I get into the 2IS it feels like an ES. My mom is using my IS now as a second car to change it up with her LX470. Kinda funny shes going to have an IS with 2014 F Sport wheels, F Sport sways, red calipers, tanabe exhaust.

I was also surprised at the new engine bay. I was expecting it to be a carbon copy of the 2IS but they removed most of the annoying engine covers. Even without the covers they ran the wiring and tubing different to be more hidden. It just looks cleaner now.

So what did you have before and what do you like about the new design?

Old 12-13-13, 04:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I went from am '08 250 AWD to a '14 250 AWD F-Sport (with a TL and CT in between). After 4 months ownership, the 3IS is a better vehicle overall and very satisfied with it. It is improved in virtually all measurable ways:

- interior room
- handling
- trunk space
- visibility
- transmission shifts much smoother (and quicker in Sport mode)
- Very Solid - NO RATTLES (2IS had terrible squeaks and creaks from day 1 from the center gray trim surrounding the radio and HVAC controls)
- styling inside and out (subjective)

Also, despite the carry-over engine/tranny/AWD system, the engineers tweaked the ECU such that throttle response and acceleration is livelier (in Sport mode) and car feels quicker and much more enjoyable to drive.

What has stayed the same is ride comfort/NVH, overall materials, fit and finish, though the 2IS had a more luxurious look and feel thanks in part to the greater, better suited expanse of wood, a little more softer touch materials and fold out lower door panels, and sumptuous leather seats. And of course hp/engines excel in NVH, but not in performance.

Some regressions that have disappointed me (though I'm being picky):

- a less vault-like door closing feel and sound
- no sunglasses holder
- fuel economy seems to be a little worse though in all fairness, it's winter season, and I have a Magnaflow axel-back exhaust and Takeda air intake tempting me more to engage in livelier acceleration and driving.
Old 12-13-13, 07:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I noticed the rear caliper for the 3IS is different than the 2IS. 2IS was a bit weenie looking. I think they are using the 250's front caliper as the 350's rear caliper. The brakes definately bite better and with more responsiveness
Old 12-13-13, 07:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh, one thing i wish they did a better job on is making the mirrors feel more solid like on the 2IS. The 3IS mirrors are more flimsy like the CT I had. Again, being picky and far from making me lose any sleep here.
Old 12-14-13, 06:31 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Moderator edit - Glashub please exit this thread.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 06:46 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^. I never even looked at, considered or thought much of the 2IS. My friend had one too. The 3IS is my first Lexus and am really happy with it.
Old 12-14-13, 07:15 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I don't own a 2IS so I can't add much but Forbes compared a 2IS to a 3IS --

2014 Lexus IS Review: Way Better Than Before

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd...ve-and-review/
Old 12-14-13, 08:15 AM
iPinky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to the thread, I did a 2IS to 3IS switcheroo. I had a 2010 350 with every bell and whistle that came with the Luxury Plus Value Edition package and Nav/ML Audio package, as well as a spoiler. I was sure then that my 2IS was it for me, but obviously, it didn't end that way. There are some obvious differences, and features that I was used to having in my 2IS that are no longer included in the 3IS. But, the upside is that the 3IS is way more fun to drive and has better handling by a long shot. Driving my 2IS left me feeling like it was short-handed. It never really could stack up to the big boys of BMW & Mercedes. I can't be anymore happier with my 3IS!
Old 12-14-13, 08:27 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by Glashub
I don't own a 2IS so I can't add much but Forbes compared a 2IS to a 3IS -- 2014 Lexus IS Review: Way Better Than Before http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd...ve-and-review/
Well said. I agree with his comparison.
Old 12-14-13, 09:30 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

This thread is awesome and long overdue!

Quick Reply: Anyone Trade their 2IS for the 3IS