IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cruise control dead. Lexus has told me the ECU for the car must be replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 02:56 PM
wiggy76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control dead. Lexus has told me the ECU for the car must be replaced.

2006 IS250. Cruise control is dead. Took to Lexus. They spent three months trying to figure out how to fix it. Ultimately, they told me I would need to replace my car's ECU/ ECM. At the time, they told me it would cost around $3000.00.

I decided not to get it fixed at the time. 4 years later, I still have the car and I am considering getting it fixed. Would anyone know how much this would cost me? The only problem with the car is that the cruise control is out. Everything else works normally.
Old 02-12-18, 03:21 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

3k to have cruise control to work 🤔 not worth to me. I’d definitely take it to a different shop to have another opinion since Lexus dealerships are full of morons.. just my 2 cents...
Old 02-12-18, 04:09 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 07:33 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

While it is true that the ECU basically controls the entirety of the cruise control in the car, there are various sensors/switches and so on that it bases how it will work on, and it just seems much more likely that one of those is the cause.

It's also a very simple system, so I have no idea really what was causing them grief when trying to diagnose it, especially if that's the only problem in the car.

If it did in fact need the ECU, you can find the part cheaper online for sure (retail is about $1500-$2300 depending on the model of your car - is it RWD/AWD and Auto/Manual? but this could be found for $1200-1700). Alternatively, a used ECU could also be used, which would be much cheaper.

HOWEVER, as part of the economic settlement due to the concerns related to unintended acceleration back in 2010, an extended coverage CSP was rolled out from Lexus (CSP ELL) which extends warranty coverage for certain components related to the electronic throttle control system on 1998-2010 Lexus models with electronic throttle control including the ECU, throttle body, throttle pedal, cruise control switch and stop lamp switch (basically everything related to throttle control and cruise control). This extends warranty coverage for the ECU in your car to a total of 18 years or 150,000 miles from date of first use. If you have less than 150,000 miles on your car, and the ECU needs to be replaced, it should be covered under the extended warranty period offered by CSP ELL. If any other components (brake switch, cruise switch, throttle body) need replacement, the coverage for them is 14 years or 150,000 miles. Either way, the parts should be covered, I would go back to Lexus and/or call Lexus USA and inquire about this.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
afanboy (03-13-18)
Old 02-13-18, 03:25 PM
wiggy76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the help

Jeff!

Thanks for the info. My car is an automatic/ AWD IS250. If I find the part cheaper, don't I still need Lexus to reprogram my car-- or can any local auto body shop do it?

I have no idea what was giving them so much grief... I just remember that they had the car for three months and couldn't figure it out.... so they're assuming if they replace the ECU, the cruise control would work again. It's apparently the only thing they can think of to fix it... everything else appears to be in working order.

I'll look into the CSP ELL. So this coverage would apply to my vehicle (2006)... it's not something I would have had to purchase? I don't think I purchased any extended warranty on my car. My car is under 150,000 miles... it only has 82,000 and that's why I'm contemplating having the cruise fixed. While the car is 12 years old, I feel like I can get another 5 years or so out of it. I'll see what I can figure out from Lexus and post.

thank you!
Old 02-13-18, 05:21 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Before you spend another dime in labor, buy the $15 /46hr subscription to the Yoda TIS site and read up on troubleshooting the CC system.

That said if it were mine there are two areas I would roll the dice and inspect;
Disconnect the battery -
Inspect all connectors coming from the steering column. If the push button to enable cruise does not enable the green light, the mechanical switch, clock spring, and connections are more suspect than the ECM. If you have an ohm meter you can test the switches.

Inspect the connectors at the ECM. Look for burns, opens, pushed pins, discoloration, and even growth of foreign material.
Old 02-14-18, 08:09 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by wiggy76
Jeff!

Thanks for the info. My car is an automatic/ AWD IS250. If I find the part cheaper, don't I still need Lexus to reprogram my car-- or can any local auto body shop do it?

I have no idea what was giving them so much grief... I just remember that they had the car for three months and couldn't figure it out.... so they're assuming if they replace the ECU, the cruise control would work again. It's apparently the only thing they can think of to fix it... everything else appears to be in working order.

I'll look into the CSP ELL. So this coverage would apply to my vehicle (2006)... it's not something I would have had to purchase? I don't think I purchased any extended warranty on my car. My car is under 150,000 miles... it only has 82,000 and that's why I'm contemplating having the cruise fixed. While the car is 12 years old, I feel like I can get another 5 years or so out of it. I'll see what I can figure out from Lexus and post.

thank you!
There is no reprogramming required to use a used ECU, it's a pretty simple procedure and doesn't require any special tools.

The ECU in your car is covered under the extended coverage. You do not need to purchase it. Are there other Lexus dealers in your area?

Jeff
Old 03-13-18, 11:42 PM
afanboy
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
There is no reprogramming required to use a used ECU, it's a pretty simple procedure and doesn't require any special tools.
Really? Immobilizer?
Old 03-14-18, 12:50 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Syncing the immobilizer can be done with a paperclip. In fact, it's how it has to be done. It does not require, nor can it be done, with a Techstream.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-14-18 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 04:30 AM
afanboy
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh the old pins 5 & 12 (or something like that) method. I didn't realize that also worked on Lexus. I've only seen it on Corollas and Camrys. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-18, 02:05 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
How the movie theater biz works:
1. you buy a ticket, which pays for the film rental, salaries, etc.
2. the purpose of the movie (and the real profit) is to get you to buy popcorn

The Lexus is the movie.
The service department is the popcorn.