IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 06:45 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys for the research. I have a 2013 without DRL that are halogen. I saw other cars with the DRL strip and was OMG surprised when I priced Lexus lights to change them. If I understand correctly, only the HID version cars came with the DRL in the later models of our 2gen IS. I also understood the levelers if I where to buy the HID new ones would not work because my car wasn't equipped with them. So it left me modifying mine. I installed HiD bulbs, both in headlight and Fog lights same Temperature... can't quit remember the number. But white...and did something entirely different and put halos in my lights. I would prefer the DRL strip like OEM but gave up buying used or new ones. The aftermarket ones looked so Different I just modified my own.

I also installed LED hi beams, and disabled the DRL with TexhStream but made the Halos light up separately as DRL. Just something different.
Now I see these in black and DRL Halogen, I guess I will move my HID ballast / bulbs over and try these out.

Now the question is: do I change the reflectors? Or exchange the reflectors from my OEM lights to the Depo lights? Is it worth the trouble of opening 4 lights. Or buy some reflectors and open just the 2 Depo lights?

A good thread and thanks again for the info.

Here is my attempt to be different ...
Attached Thumbnails DEPO Headlights-61effd45-2e8b-496d-a7b7-0381e6238aa7.jpeg   DEPO Headlights-1eaea134-e664-4d87-8b0d-e610a57ebbcb.jpeg  

Last edited by obe1; 02-20-18 at 06:53 AM. Reason: add pics, GT app failed to upload
Old 02-20-18, 06:52 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Why would you change reflectors? you mean projector? If its your old halogen projectors, I would say NO, don't go thru the trouble as it may not even fit. If you going to go thru the trouble of opening, might as well do it right and do an HID projector retrofit with the something that fits or modify housing to fit a nice true HID projector.

Easiest route is to get these, transplant your aftermarket HIDs and call it a day. if you had to drill your old cover to get wires in and out, it may still fit this H/L.

Originally Posted by obe1
Thanks guys for the research. I have a 2013 without DRL that are halogen. I saw other cars with the DRL strip and was OMG surprised when I priced Lexus lights to change them. If I understand correctly, only the HID version cars came with the DRL in the later models of our 2gen IS. I also understood the levelers if I where to buy the HID new ones would not work because my car wasn't equipped with them. So it left me modifying mine. I installed HiD bulbs, both in headlight and Fog lights same Temperature... can't quit remember the number. But white...and did something entirely different and put halos in my lights. I would prefer the DRL strip like OEM but gave up buying used or new ones. The aftermarket ones looked so Different I just modified my own.

I also installed LED hi beams, and disabled the DRL with TexhStream but made the Halos light up separately as DRL. Just something different.
Now I see these in black and DRL Halogen, I guess I will move my HID ballast / bulbs over and try these out.

Now the question is: do I change the reflectors? Or exchange the reflectors from my OEM lights to the Depo lights? Is it worth the trouble of opening 4 lights. Or but some reflectors and open just the 2 Depo lights?

A good thread and thanks again for the info.

Here is my attempt to be different ...
Old 02-20-18, 06:56 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Yeah, projectors

I am home on pain meds...
Old 02-20-18, 07:05 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Yes, I did have to drill about 1/2 inch hole for the connectors / boot in the housing to get wires in out as you mention it. It's been a few years now, and forget about that. Do you have a recommendation of a good projector if I where to decide and open these Depo lights?

You guys are all over this topic. I build small 2 seater airplanes and don't spend a lot of time staying up in this stuff on my car. But I am capable of modifying the lights if need be. I just don't have the experience on what to buy or do.

Thanks for any advise Tex
Old 02-22-18, 07:54 AM
GymRat86
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Im' waiting for the original topic author to bake his depo headlights and pull them apart i wana see how the projector is mounted...if it mounts like factor ill find a pair of RX350 hid D4S projectors and install them and be done..but i needed to see the inside of the projector mounting, to make a decision first...hell i my even be able to use my factor ISF projectors and custom mount them...Redneck engineer that ****... by the way i build big jet airplane engine parts... thrust reversers, CNA, well pretty much the whole nacel, and we do finally EBU engine poding for airbus A320 planes...lol..still a redneck tho!!!
Old 02-22-18, 09:27 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

After looking around the CL forum a little, I found Lightswerkz has some parts to buy .. if you want to customize your lights. Now experience helps here what fits and what has to be done to make it fit. I have ordered the facelift Depo lights and awaiting their arrival. Having a complete set of lights now gives me the time to play around some. I wanted the DRL strip like the later OEM HID lights have from the start. I have been pleasantly pleased with my 4 HID add ons to my Halogen OEM lights and fog lights. Hi beam Led is a waste.. to turn them on... the HID is fantastic and the projectors right now doesn't blind on coming cars. I have had this for almost 3 years.. and maybe a change is needed. What experience is someone welling to share on what Projectors will fit and if other options or worth it.

I have a white IS ..

Thanks

Tex
Old 02-22-18, 09:56 AM
rvtlyzd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GymRat86
Im' waiting for the original topic author to bake his depo headlights and pull them apart i wana see how the projector is mounted...if it mounts like factor ill find a pair of RX350 hid D4S projectors and install them and be done..but i needed to see the inside of the projector mounting, to make a decision first...hell i my even be able to use my factor ISF projectors and custom mount them...Redneck engineer that ****... by the way i build big jet airplane engine parts... thrust reversers, CNA, well pretty much the whole nacel, and we do finally EBU engine poding for airbus A320 planes...lol..still a redneck tho!!!
Hey while you're at it, make new hydraulics for those damn A320 doors. They all seize up in the least chilly days. C1 especially (I work at the airport too)
Old 02-22-18, 09:56 AM
sinister2c
Racer

some inspiration

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eadlights.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-retrofit.html

On the factory OEM 2012 HID lights, it looks like the projector still mounts same as old versions with the top and bottom swivel mount eventhough they don't have side to side AFS. That's promising if you want to transplant HID projectors off 2006-2010 lights. Sucks for my retro if the DEPOs are the same way, I will have to make custom mounts like this one https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7327240 .

What you can also see from the old retrofit posts is that the older 2006-2010 halogen bracket was alot different. They used your traditional screw in mounting points, so if DEPO used that, it should make my retro easier, but the older HID swivel projector transplant impossible.

As FYI...here is the i.Lens LED projectors I plan to use.

I will probably get around to my H/L project next week.
I have three projects right now (3IS bumper, 3-piece wheel refurbishment, and an H/L Retrofit) each of which is limited to 2 hours a night if I'm not traveling for work.
Old 02-22-18, 03:22 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Does anyone have any dealings with a MORIMOTO M LED Projector or / and installed in an IS? I saw this as a possible fitment into the new Depo lights as an upgrade. They have removable rear treaded mounts and are shorter than most I have found. It appears the hot spot is a little narrow in the lighting, but compared to what. I also ran into a Chip Flip mod video, and why is that on these units? Before I start down this road I wanted to throw this out and see if anyone has any dealing with them and how you like them.
Tex
Old 02-22-18, 07:29 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Does anyone have any dealings with a MORIMOTO M LED Projector or / and installed in an IS? I saw this as a possible fitment into the new Depo lights as an upgrade. They have removable rear treaded mounts and are shorter than most I have found. It appears the hot spot is a little narrow in the lighting, but compared to what. I also ran into a Chip Flip mod video, and why is that on these units? Before I start down this road I wanted to throw this out and see if anyone has any dealing with them and how you like them.
Tex
I've got them. Still in progress but I'll update you when they are finished
Old 02-23-18, 07:39 AM
Aspect
Racer

Don't want to spam my pictures in multiple threads but I thought it'd be useful for this instance.

Got a friend to install it inside my Spec D headlights so I don't have the exact mounting pictures but I'll leave some notes:
wasn't sure how good the plastic on the lens for baking was so we opted to cut open the rear housing
plenty of clearance even without taking off the threaded shaft,
color matches the LED strip almost perfectly,
for the wiring I custom ordered some harnesses from innovativewiringllc to convert the H7 to 9005 and H1 Euro style to 9005(retrofitting into OEM will have different conversions ofc),
low and high beam functions work well with the wiring,
I haven't brought it outside yet because I'm just testing that they are operational but the brightness seems pretty good - I've never had HIDs but compared the OEM halogen, Aftermarket halogen, and aftermarket LED I think it's a definite upgrade. When I get it all done and adjusted I'll bring them outside to test brightness and throw/distance.

Last edited by Aspect; 02-23-18 at 07:45 AM. Reason: new info
Old 02-25-18, 01:42 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

The New Depo lights came in. I have decided to open one and take it apart and check the room for a new projector installation, either LED or the full Monte HID. Sense the car is has its OEM lights, I have time now to work these over. Once I get one apart I will post some inside pictures. I am really leaning now towards the D2S 4.0 now, unless they just want work or the hole has to be so large in the back I can not seal it very well. Advise, I am listening!!!

This shows the broken ring around the projector before I took the light apart.

The housing is more flimsy than the OEM. Lighter weight thinner plastic.

The back of the mount, and has three items mounted, resistor for turn signal, driver for DRL, and another small item that could be a cap maybe?

full 3 inch trim ring opening

the electric parts, resister for the turn signal, plus the driver and possible capacitor for DRL lights

Turn signal wire, that was not locked in the plug

The lens with DRL

The Clearance Lamp Red/ Blue wires at the grommet

Color of wires to the driver and possible cap, Brown and Green and turns into the red / black little wires to DRL

the turn signal lamp and resistor

Impressions, Not perfect by any means. Carefully check yours over before installing. Make sure all the wires are locked in the connector. The internal trim ring mounted on the Depo projector that the mount was broken and allowing the ring to sag. By retrofitting you should be able to catch these imperfections.

I measured from the front mount to the original lens location is 1 5/8 inches forward and from the front the the mount to the rear of the housing 3 3/4 inches. Total 5 3/8 inches from the projector outer edge to the housing. There looks to be room to move the projector forward some, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch closer to the trim ring mounted on the lens. The hunt begins, HID or LED...maybe HID projectors will fit and have a sealable hole for the bulb change?

Later

TEX

Last edited by obe1; 02-26-18 at 09:18 PM. Reason: more picts
Old 02-26-18, 05:35 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Good info here. Wish some of your pix were bigger.

It looks like the existing bracket is a good place to start. Will probably take some trial and error to get the mounting perfect and level. May need to cut the opening more to fit new projectors.

The New Depo lights came in. I have decided to open one and take it apart and check the room for a new projector installation, either LED or the full Monte HID. Sense the car is has its OEM lights, I have time now to work these over. Once I get one apart I will post some inside pictures. I am really leaning now towards the D2S 4.0 now, unless they just want work or the hole has to be so large in the back I can not seal it very well. Advise, I am listening!!!

This shows the broken ring around the projector before I took the light apart.

The housing is more flimsy than the OEM. Lighter weight thinner plastic.

Here was the broken upper clip allowing the ring to sag down

The back of the mount, and has three items mounted, resistor for turn signal, driver for DRL, and another small item that could be a cap maybe?

full 3 inch trim ring opening

the electric parts, resister for the turn signal, plus the driver and possible capacitor for DRL lights

again the turn signal lamp and resistor

Turn signal wire, that was not locked in the plug

The lens with DRL

Color of wires to the driver and possible cap, Brown and Green and turns into the red / black little wires

The Clearance Lamp Red/ Blue wires at the grommet

Again the DRL with the driver and maybe a capacitor.

Turn Signal again with the resistor

Impressions, Not perfect by any means. Carefully check yours over before installing. Make sure all the wires are locked in the connector. The internal trim ring mounted on the Depo projector that the mount was broken and allowing the ring to sag. By retrofitting you should be able to catch these imperfections.

I measured from the front mount to the original lens location is 1 5/8 inches forward and from the front the the mount to the rear of the housing 3 3/4 inches. Total 5 3/8 inches from the projector outer edge to the housing. There looks to be room to move the projector forward some, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch closer to the trim ring mounted on the lens. The hunt begins, HID or LED...maybe HID projectors will fit and have a sealable hole for the bulb change?

Later

TEX
Old 02-26-18, 05:20 PM
tonyvilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 with HID and AFS. My question is, does the DEPO halogen aftermarket pin harness go PnP or do I have to move pins?
Old 02-26-18, 05:38 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by tonyvilla
I have a 08 with HID and AFS. My question is, does the DEPO halogen aftermarket pin harness go PnP or do I have to move pins?
should be PnP iirc, but you do lose AFS functionality and will get an AFS light on your dash where you can just pull the AFS fuse
The following users liked this post:
CAIFAN_64 (02-27-18)

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights