IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bulb versus ballast issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 05:00 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Bulb versus ballast issues

Hey I've tried searching and couldn't find a couple answers so hopefully someone can chime in.

My passenger side HID bulb went out the other day (completely stock/OEM set up for low beam), was going to order a new pair and then a few hours later it came back on.. now today it is back off. A couple times I could flick the light switch and have it turn back on but now I cannot.

So so my question is, does this sound like the ballast has gone?
If a xenon bulb burns out, could it possibly turn back on or is it just dead?

I know I could swap the bulbs etc, but the units were replaced under a year ago under the bubbling headlight TSB so could be fixed under warranty. Any input is appreciated.
Old 10-29-16, 05:45 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's still covered by warranty, definitely have them take a look before you try anything. Otherwise, it is most likely a bad ballast.
Old 10-29-16, 05:57 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my passenger side was off the morning i went to work about a less then 2 month ago. I didn't think of ballast ever being bad. Majority of the time the bulbs is just burnt out. I did notice when i flick the switch it would flash for a second then stays off. I went to a local HID store and purchase 5k color temp hid replace both low beams, always replace as a pair. Now its much better with cooler whiter color.

the job for replacing takes less then 15-20min DIY

heres the link guide on replacing stock hid by : T4styPh0

- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hid-bulbs.html
Old 10-30-16, 04:18 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Same thing just happened to me, replaced both bulbs with Phillips 4300k and I've had no problems in the 2 weeks since.

The flickering was disheartening and I immediately thought ballast but my tech was right, just a bulb.
Old 10-30-16, 06:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Just swap the bulbs from side to side. If your problem is now on the other side, the problem is the bulb. If it remains in the original place, it's the ballast or wiring. Be aware that there is a huge problem with counterfeit HID bulbs being sold on eBay and Amazon, which is why I bought mine (Osram CBI 5000K) from Xenon Depot.
Old 10-30-16, 02:07 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

So I swapped the driver side and passenger side bulb, problem stayed on the passenger side so I've concluded the ballast has gone bad. I'm going to call my local dealer to repair tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure this service will be covered by the 12 month warranty.. I had the unit replaced in January for the bubbling headlight TSB. This will be no cost to me correct?
Old 10-31-16, 06:18 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Called the dealership to have the problem diagnosed and their responses were a bit annoying and empty. I said I suspected the ballast and they got defensive and said it was probably the bulb, I told them about swapping the bulbs and they said "those HIDs can do strange things". Nonetheless, if "the bulb is doing strange things" then that's a cheap fix.

I asked if it was the ballast would it be covered and they said they didn't know for sure, I had L-SB-0005-12 done within a year, so everything that is involved I know is covered. The said that service bulletin was just the housing and no components, meaning the ballast would not be covered. Where is the ballast located? If it is inside the unit I find it hard to believe they would swap the components over rather than just plug in a new unit. Also, how much would it cost to repair on my own?
Old 10-31-16, 12:04 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Lexus Corporate and see what they say. As for the ballast, it is attached to the bottom of your headlight and in order to replace it, you must remove the headlight from the car, which requires you do remove the front bumper as well. It is not too difficult but can take some time. If you decide to replace it you can just cut the ballast wire and try to fit the new one in without taking it apart (I managed to do that); if you're having trouble, there's a video by JoeZ on youtube showing you how to take apart the ballast.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-16, 12:16 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

thanks for the info, hopefully I won't need it but I think I could probably manage it.. I got in touch with the service manager I've known from past issues and he said if it was a bad bulb it would be out of pocket, bad ballast would be covered by warranty. I trust my diagnostic skills so I'm pretty sure it's the ballast. I set my appointment for Wednesday so we shall see, nothing but headaches when dealing with the dealerships thus far, hopefully this time is different.
Old 10-31-16, 12:27 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I would triple check that it is the ballast. It's common for the bulbs to go, and when they do, they become intermittent. They will turn on at first, then may go out. Usually turning the lights off and back on will temporarily fix the bulb... until it gets too bad and then won't come on at all.
Old 10-31-16, 12:41 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

I already swapped the bulbs from driver-passenger side, problem did not move with the bulb but the passenger side remains out.

Whichever bulb is in the driver's side works immediately without issue, whichever bulb is in the passenger side does not work at all. Anything else I should do or does that pretty much confirm the ballast?