IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installed XenonDepot HIDs - A very noticeable difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 07:24 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Installed XenonDepot HIDs - A very noticeable difference

When I bought the car the PO had tinted/smoked the front headlights (and fog lights and tail lights). Light output at night from the headlights was not very good and was worse when it was raining. There are very few streetlamps here and so the roads can be incredibly dark. And the numerous deer hang out on the sides of the roads making the need for good light important.

From a recent VIN check I could see that the PO lived in Seattle and with all of the street lamps there probably never noticed the reduced light output.

Any way, I finally installed the XenonDepot Extreme H11 HID kit I bought back in early December and man what a nice difference, even with the tinted headlights. I went with the Philips 4300k kit to get the most light output I could and I think I succeeded. Even through the tinted lenses the light is still a very bright white with maybe a hint of blue hue.

On the 35 mile drive home after installing them I noticed a few things:

- The sides of the road are better illuminated especially on the passenger side. That is a nice and unexpected feature. It's very good for spotting deer.
- Although my eyes may be deceiving me, it seems as though it's not throwing light quite as far down range as the halogens were on the drivers side. However on the passenger side I can see road signs much, much farther away now. And the road is definitely illuminated better.
- It was raining on the way home and I had absolutely no problem seeing the road where as before with the halogens....yikes.
- Not once was I high beamed or flashed by oncoming cars. And there was quite a bit of traffic so I'm 70% sure I won't be blinding any one. However, time will tell.

As for the install, well, it took me 5 hours. That includes hunting for tools in a garage that wasn't mine, finding more light, taking a lunch break, losing a damned bolt that I never found and clean up. I found the passenger side install to go pretty smoothly with lots of space to install the ballast, igniter, relay and all of the wires. However that freaking drivers side was a total nightmare for me. That side was not my finest work and I will have to go back on a nice warm, sunny day and redo all of the wiring and component placements. I want it to look as stock as possible.

One tip for the hole in the headlight cover; Although I could never find it, the hole diameter you need to drill is 1" (1-inch). And once done with that you need to clean out the webbing/bracing around that hole so that the rubber grommet fits securely with no gaps or pinches. This way there's almost no way for water/condensation to enter the headlight. Oh, and that grommet is a SNUG fit in that 1" hole.

Unfortunately I don't have any before or after pics. I tried a before pic but the camera just wasn't picking up the light output correctly. There are plenty of these before and after pics on this site though to give you an idea.

I do have one question and I'm embarrassed to ask but, when turning on your high beams should your low beams turn off? I never looked to see if they did this when the low beam halogens where still in. Last night when I turned my high beams on I could tell the low beam HIDs were still on too and I don't know if that's normal for this car or not since this is my first Lexus. I'm used to driving my F350 and wife's Hyundai and both cars turn off the low beams when the high beams are on. I just don't want to burn anything up.

And so here's to hoping for a nice longevity on these HIDs. Now to brighten up those parking lamps.

tl;dr - Replaced halogens with XenonDepot Philips 4300k HIDs. Even through tinted headlights these things are bright white and light up the road nicely. Question: When turning on your high beams should the low beams turn off or stay on? I don't remember. Thanks!

Last edited by Soledad; 01-12-16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 04:25 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low beams stay on, fog lights turn off when you turn high beams on

Congrats on the purchase! if the tints bother you try to see if an auto shop can remove it. As for installation, If worst comes to worst you can always remove the bumper. Its honestly not as bad as people would make it out to seem.

You can also remove the windshield washer tube for a LITTLE more clearance.

Glad you like the purchase !
Old 01-13-16, 08:14 AM
Soledad
Driver

Icy350: Thanks! I was worried I had somehow miswired something on those low beams even though it's really just plug and play.

Doh! I didn't think about going to an auto (body) shop to see if they can remove that tint. It's definitely not a film. It's got to be a spray (and a really good one at that). I'm really hoping it's not on the inside of the lens.

Last edited by Soledad; 01-13-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 11:37 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Definitely. Post updates because I'm curious how to remove spray on tint, if that's even possible
Old 01-13-16, 05:07 PM
Soledad
Driver

I've got an email out to TAP Plastics to see if they have any products that can remove the spray on tint without damaging the plastic or make the lenses hazy. I have my doubts but you never know.

I may also look into Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover.

Last edited by Soledad; 01-13-16 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 07:16 AM
Soledad
Driver

TAP Plastics responded and said they don't have anything that can help. But they did suggest their Micro Mesh kit which I will not do. I won't sand the headlights. Been there done that on a few other cars with severely yellowing headlights and it's just to much work to keep them clear.

I found some others online that have used the Krud Kutter to remove VHT Nightshades and so I may test it on a very small spot to see if it causes any issues.

Worst case, I keep the headlights tinted (unless I can find a used pair in really good shape for a decent price) and just replace the tail lights. The WA cops are pretty lenient but I'm not sure how lenient on tinted tail lights.
Old 01-14-16, 04:15 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Dang, that sucks =/ I for one cant stand the tinted headlight/ taillight look. Headlights come on sale once every so often.

I ended up getting replica LED ones from VIP motoz haha! I am extremely happy with them.

Keep an eye on the FS section. Spring is right around the corner and you know projects will be started which means.... Older parts will be sold
Old 01-15-16, 11:43 AM
SQLnovice
Driver

Take it to a tint shop. They might charge around 20 bux to remove it.