IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Oil Catch Can Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 12:27 AM
shlomie11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
how much would it cost for dealer to clean up the carbon build up during regular maintenance? Anyone have paid for this service other than warranty and know how much? I recalled having dealer done it once many many years ago but under warranty, but ever since i don't feel i have any issue or i could be wrong.
about a month ago i asked the dealer (i didnt have any problem, just for to know) here if they know the buildup carbon and what is the price they take to fix it and they told me "about 600$"
Old 01-02-17, 09:36 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shlomie11
about a month ago i asked the dealer (i didnt have any problem, just for to know) here if they know the buildup carbon and what is the price they take to fix it and they told me "about 600$"
damn that's pricy..
Old 01-02-17, 11:36 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
damn that's pricy..

I keep reading that the $600 service isn't much more than running Seafoam through the engine, but using a Toyota version of it. I believe that I read the tear-down walnut shell airblasting version (the real way to clean the engine) was in the thousands to have done.
Old 01-09-17, 02:35 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also need to intercept the other PCV line (the short one from the valve cover to the intake pipe), using a different catch can. This is so you don't mess with the amount of air that would bypass the throttlebody.

Srsly, lexus engineers, how the hell did you NOT see this coming, and then saying putting in new pistons would FIX the problem? Yea, right. You can't stop engine blowby, every single one of these engines should be recalled as lemons.
The following users liked this post:
MDHLexus (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 09:06 PM
Japmand
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've also heard the EGR system contributes to possible issues with buildup on the intake valves - is this correct? I just want PURE AIR being sucked into my engine --- how hard is that?
Old 01-10-17, 09:09 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Japmand
I've also heard the EGR system contributes to possible issues with buildup on the intake valves - is this correct? I just want PURE AIR being sucked into my engine --- how hard is that?
Yes, the EGR system will recirculate post combustion "soot" back into the intake, pre-valve. So it could also contribute to coke build up. Unfortunately, the EGR system actually helps increase fuel economy during low load operation (long term cruise) by displacing unnecessary O2 in the combustion cyl, which if there was an excess, would lead to leaner conditions and promote the production of NOx (smog). Removing it is also illegal, and you won't pass emissions with it bypassed.
Old 02-04-17, 02:02 AM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone?

Originally Posted by rbipu
i installed a mishimoto occ soon after importing an is250 from japan and 3000km after the install it's collected a lot of blow-by. To the guys who've had an occ for a while now, how effective would you say it is with preventing carbon buildup on the intake valves?
****bump****
Old 03-19-17, 06:42 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

rbipu,
Every motor is different and some will have more blow by than others. So to say that one catch can is the "best" is very suggestive. Unless you put in multiple cans in a series, you won't know if any single can is catching ALL the oil in the PCV hose. BUT, ANY oil caught is good IMO. It's a good idea to have a can on EVERY car IMO.

Just wanted to chime in and say this writeup helped me install a simple home depot can on my wife's 250. it is just temporary until I get a much better can and mount it up front.
Thanks to then OP for the pics and writeup.
Old 03-19-17, 09:00 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smitty2919
rbipu,
Every motor is different and some will have more blow by than others. So to say that one catch can is the "best" is very suggestive. Unless you put in multiple cans in a series, you won't know if any single can is catching ALL the oil in the PCV hose. BUT, ANY oil caught is good IMO. It's a good idea to have a can on EVERY car IMO.

Just wanted to chime in and say this writeup helped me install a simple home depot can on my wife's 250. it is just temporary until I get a much better can and mount it up front.
Thanks to then OP for the pics and writeup.
There have been many "lab grade" experiments that have shown (with repeatability) that the oil / vapor separators for pneumatic systems are 98% efficient. Norgren is one company that makes such devices.

Last edited by APynckel; 03-19-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-19-17, 11:24 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Link to said lab experiments and how they were conducted? I'd like to look into this.
Old 03-19-17, 11:36 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

http://cdn.norgren.com/pdf/Filters.pdf

They claim 98% of particulates filtered over 5 microns... page 7

I know I've seen videos of this testing, but cannot seem to find them at this point in time. The video showed them introducing a fluid into a pneumatic system via venturi, and with a filter further down line, removed all of the liquid.
Old 03-21-17, 12:54 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Does anyone have any input on whether you should get a 2 port or 3 port catch can?
Old 03-21-17, 01:42 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aspect
Does anyone have any input on whether you should get a 2 port or 3 port catch can?
3 port for what reason?
Old 03-21-17, 01:44 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
3 port for what reason?
Just asking cause there's a catch can I want but the three port is cheaper than the two port
Old 03-21-17, 01:46 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aspect
Just asking cause there's a catch can I want but the three port is cheaper than the two port
You could always block off one port... but you want to keep the two banks of the PCV system vacuum sourced from either side of the throttlebody.

Quick Reply: The Oil Catch Can Experiment