IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For winter, do I need new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 11:55 AM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For winter, do I need new tires?

'08 IS350 with Sport Maxx tires in DC Area. I ALWAYS have a FWD car at my disposal AND the ability to work from home whenever I need to. However, there's always the chance of surprise storms.
My commute is primarily highway and very busy suburban area that is highly traveled. Having said this, do I need to switch my tires out at all? I think from a technical standpoint, summer tires should be ok until the temp hears freezing, but then I've read other members who said theirs turned to mush as high as the 40's. Even though I have a spare car, I do not want my IS to turn into a warm-season only car. If I do switch, think some DWS's on stock 18's will work? I've also read that regardless of tire type (even snow), a 255 tire would be almost useless in snow. Thoughts?
Old 10-04-12, 01:03 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From a technical standpoint, when it gets near freezing the summer tires traction does get less effective so you frost don't want to want to wait until you are below freezing to do it as it can be risky.

I remember sort of throttle steered my car off at low speed turn on my summer tires as the ground was very cold and must of had a bit of frost on the ground, and it was above freezing. It was fun doing as it was inadvertent when it happen but it was an indicator that they were essentially ineffective and need to get the winters on.

You should get dedicated winter tires. All-seasons tires will do you no good.

Get Bridgestone Blizzaks for winters and you'll be fine.

255 for the rear works fine and using staggered for my own RWD for the 250.
Old 10-04-12, 01:58 PM
pdpgps
Rookie

I'm in DC as well. You have two options depending on your budget.

1) Get a second set of dedicated winter tires as Sango said. On my previous TSX I had two sets of wheels. One with summer tires only and one set (OEM) for winter and fall. Works out nice. Depending on your miles you drive you may end up swapping wheels during the seasons as your tire rotation.
2) Get all seasons. I have the DWS's on my F-sport 18s and they'll be just fine. If all-season tires didn't perform in snow at all then they wouldn't be called all-seasons. Keep your speed down in the snow of course.
Old 10-04-12, 06:33 PM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.

The 2nd set of wheels is something I don't want to do; just don't want to store wheels.

@pdpgps:
I've been looking at the DSW's and just keeping them on all the time. I've heard that they're extremely soft and feel that way when cornering hard. I'm past the auto-x and track days, so my only thing is a good back road now and then. Due to the soft compound, I've also heard they're kind of fragile. I have heard they're pretty light though, less unsprung weight. Also heard they're pretty quiet and wear fairly well. How do you feel about the DSW's? Do you think there will be a big drop-off (in handling) from my current tires?
Old 10-04-12, 06:40 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If you have access to another car, I wouldn't worry. Getting caught in the occasional storm should be OK for the IS but you wouldn't want to drive it all winter with rear wheel drive and summer tires.
Old 10-05-12, 05:22 AM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
If you have access to another car, I wouldn't worry. Getting caught in the occasional storm should be OK for the IS but you wouldn't want to drive it all winter with rear wheel drive and summer tires.
Are you saying it would be ok to keep the current/summer tires on or ok if I just swap to DWS's (or some other all-season)? Do you think the summer tires would be ok in cold, but dry conditions?

The biggest dilemma I have is that the area isn't known for really bad winters, but then you get some that are really bad. Mix in that I have the 3rd car. Again, the IS is my primary car and I would like it to stay that way all year round. I understand that I shouldn't drive it in bad snow, but just wondering if I even need t o swap to all seasons for cold temp reasons.
Old 10-05-12, 10:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Summers are great above 35-40 degrees.

In the 25-35 range they are usable if it's dry out, just drive carefully, don't take corners at high speed, etc...

Below 25, or below 35-40 in any sort of wet weather, they're dangerous.

(insert story of some other member who drove through a blizzard in em- but they're still dangerous).

So if you can drive the extra car anytime you know it will be 35 or below and NOT dry you'll be fine... if that's too often, or it's dry AND below 35 for months at a time, get some cheap wheels and put WINTER (not all season) tires on em.
Old 10-05-12, 11:59 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

I would just be on a look out on Craigslist for cheap winter tires to buy.... im picking up a set tomorrow with 30% tread left for hte rears for 30 bucks for both...... this should get me thru this season.
Old 10-08-12, 07:02 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

yea in light snow when its freezing out, the summer tires are about as good as a pair of snow boards strapped to your car. I couldn't even get up a 15 degree incline to get into my garage. I would recommend driving the other car or getting a pair of nice winter tires.
Old 10-08-12, 07:03 AM
pdpgps
Rookie

If you have access to multiple vehicles and the IS is your primary, then I would configure the IS to be as versatile as possible meaning putting on the all season tires. Your other vehicles can be dedicated summer/spring type of vehicles. I have the AWD IS250 and with the DWS I don't think its particuarly soft or anything like that. Any handling issues is based on driver perception/experience and what "soft" or "bad" handling is.

I've never had the sportmaxx tires, but the DWS are pretty quiet and they have received such strong reviews on Tirerack I put them on the gf's RDX as well.

Off topic...where you at in MD? You tryin to lax? I'm in Rockville. lol
Old 10-08-12, 01:20 PM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate everyone's advice on this. I'm pretty torn right now, I REALLY do not want to get a 2nd set of wheels w/ winters. Just don't want to store a 2nd set of wheels. Will have to think about it some more. I know that all seasons are almost useless for RWD & snow, BUT I do have lots of bad weather flexibility. Along w/ a 3rd car & telecommuting, my company also pays for 50% of any lodging fees if you don't feel like you can make it home due to weather (and we're right next to a golf resort). Due to all this, I'll PROBABLY get the DWS's and keep them on all the time. That way, I can drive it when cold and dry and then just use one of the other cars or telecommute when snow/ice. Thanks again everyone.

Originally Posted by pdpgps
I've never had the sportmaxx tires, but the DWS are pretty quiet and they have received such strong reviews on Tirerack I put them on the gf's RDX as well.

Off topic...where you at in MD? You tryin to lax? I'm in Rockville. lol
We put the Parada Spec X's on our RDX, love 'em. Very cool looking tread pattern. Never realized the DWS aren't directional; this may have lead to us getting them instead. One thing I dislike about directionals, really limit your rotation abilities.

I'm just a bit north in Fredneck. I'm an old man now, so no more lax for me. I still like to shoot around, but any type of competitive play is past me. I played for awhile though and had my fill (DI & lots of post-collegiate club and even a couple years w/ the Bayhawks).
Old 10-08-12, 02:05 PM
SEWSLexIS
Driver School Candidate

Im right outside of DC. I just put some Sumitomo HTR tires on mine. Those summer tires straight up suck when it rains and snows around here..
Old 10-09-12, 11:00 AM
pdpgps
Rookie

Originally Posted by x2lacrosse
I'm just a bit north in Fredneck. I'm an old man now, so no more lax for me. I still like to shoot around, but any type of competitive play is past me. I played for awhile though and had my fill (DI & lots of post-collegiate club and even a couple years w/ the Bayhawks).
That's cool. I played in college and post-college club as a grad student.
Old 10-09-12, 04:02 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mixa86
I would just be on a look out on Craigslist for cheap winter tires to buy.... im picking up a set tomorrow with 30% tread left for hte rears for 30 bucks for both...... this should get me thru this season.
Most winter tires soft rubber compound is at the top 70%,after that they are just good 4 season tires.
Old 10-10-12, 05:20 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting back to the original question since I'm about to pull the trigger on some new blizzaks WS70s... I've heard narrower tires cut through the snow better.

I have factory 18s and wondering what the best tire size would be. I'm thinking 225/45/18 in rear, but not sure about fronts. Maybe just stick with the 225/40/18? Or should I go narrower?

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: For winter, do I need new tires?