See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY: IS350 Spark Plug Service

Old 01-10-11, 08:52 PM
ISSteve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the detailed write up! I've got my 60K coming up sometime this year so this might save me a little cash if I decide to spend an afternoon tinkering on my car.

Oh yeah, and a damn good reason to buy myself a nice torque wrench!
Old 04-15-11, 08:55 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks so much for the detailed write-up. I'm due for spark plugs in about 2k. I'm definitely game for DIY, however each time I read a spark plug DIY they talk about how to be super careful not to cross-thread the plugs and if you screw up the heads, you're in big trouble.

This would be my first time replacing spark plugs on any car. How worried should I be about the above risk? Honestly my nervousness over this risk (since it's my first time) is the only thing swaying me toward having a dealer do it, but the dealer's quoting me very high prices for the install so I'd rather do it myself.
Old 04-15-11, 09:56 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

meh, you'll be fine. Get yourself a torque wrench (or two depending on required torque), dab some oil on the first few spark plug threads and easily tighten them up. I'd highly recommend a spark plug socket because it will hold the spark plug in it while you lower it down into the chamber. This way you'll be able to add an extension to the spark plug socket and easily feel if there's a problem right off the bat as you hand tighten it.

It'll go like butter, you'll see. Have no worries. Took me 30 minutes to open her up, and button her down.
Old 04-16-11, 02:27 AM
SilvaIS350
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

its 60,000 and how many months? which ever comes first
Old 04-17-11, 03:51 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Just wanted to post a tip to those out there who do NOT want to replace the spark plugs yourself and will be having a dealer do it. Please don't flame about how everyone should DIY etc., that's not the point, this is just a tip I came across to those out there who plan to take their car to the dealership for it.

I've been trying to decide whether to do the spark plug replacement myself or not, and in doing so I've been contacting local dealers to ask their parts and labor costs for the spark plug replacement. The majority of the cost is labor, as it's fairly time-consuming to gain access to the spark plugs as the air intake box and other components have to be removed. Dealers have also however been quoting me high prices for the parts themselves, sometimes up to $150 when the spark plugs themselves are only $78 from Sewell. This isn't the main point, but if you find a dealer wanting to charge you more than $78 for the spark plugs parts themselves, just buy from Sewell and bring them to the dealer.

In contacting one of the dealers they told me labor was about 2-3 hours' worth, but that I could save on almost all that labor if I was bringing my car in at the same time for the fuel pressure sensor recall, since they have to remove almost all the same components to gain access to perform the recall as they do the spark plugs. I was pretty surprised the dealer actually suggested a method of cutting down MY costs, which was quite a decent move on the dealer's part.

The tip here is that if you're due for the spark plug replacement and you plan on bringing your car into a dealer for it, if at all possible do the replacement at the same time as a service that requires the removal of the same parts (air intake box, etc). The two things that come to mind are the fuel pressure sensor recall and the cam gear replacement TSIB, but there are likely others. The latter came to mind because unfortunately (but somewhat fortunately in this case) my car just started exhibiting the grinding start up noise, which means the cam gear TSIB likely needs to be performed, which requires removing the same parts as the spark plug replacement, which means I should save about $200-300 on labor at the dealer. In light of this, I'll probably just go ahead and have my dealer do it since I should pretty much only be paying for parts - if this hadn't been the case, I'd probably DIY.
Old 04-20-11, 04:28 PM
Rikus
Driver School Candidate

I just got the plugs delivered from Sewell, I think my out the door price was about 88 after delivery. I know someone else asked if this tutorial applies to his GS300 and I have the same question. I have a 06 GS and I want to know if I can follow these directions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-11, 01:58 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Cool Thanks! Did this today at 60k...

The front driver's side coil hold down screw is a real pain to get loose but I eventually managed by getting the harness loose enough to gain a bit more clearance. I didn't like the way the spark plugs felt going in dry so I added a dab of engine oil like you recommended. The plugs looked to be in pretty good shape, though - no erosion or other visible problems. The maintenance guide says you have to do the change at 60k to keep the emissions warranty valid so it's done either way...
Old 04-23-11, 03:33 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I just finished changing mine out about 15 minutes ago. Great DIY, pretty much pain free with standard hand tools.
Old 04-23-11, 03:57 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Wink pain free?

Originally Posted by jbjones85
I just finished changing mine out about 15 minutes ago. Great DIY, pretty much pain free with standard hand tools.
My bloody knuckles would say otherwise lol ;-)
Old 06-27-11, 10:34 AM
Wasawat
Rookie

I did it yesterday.Thank you for great DIY!!!1

Last edited by Wasawat; 06-28-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-27-11, 10:45 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Awesome write up! I just ordered stuff for my 60k. I'm substituting the "new air filter" with an F-sport intake w/ new filter.
Old 08-18-11, 01:05 PM
sqa4life
Rookie

suggest Mod to pin this DIY.

Great instruction. Thanks
Old 08-19-11, 08:47 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Just wanted to post a tip to those out there who do NOT want to replace the spark plugs yourself and will be having a dealer do it. Please don't flame about how everyone should DIY etc., that's not the point, this is just a tip I came across to those out there who plan to take their car to the dealership for it.

I've been trying to decide whether to do the spark plug replacement myself or not, and in doing so I've been contacting local dealers to ask their parts and labor costs for the spark plug replacement. The majority of the cost is labor, as it's fairly time-consuming to gain access to the spark plugs as the air intake box and other components have to be removed. Dealers have also however been quoting me high prices for the parts themselves, sometimes up to $150 when the spark plugs themselves are only $78 from Sewell. This isn't the main point, but if you find a dealer wanting to charge you more than $78 for the spark plugs parts themselves, just buy from Sewell and bring them to the dealer.

In contacting one of the dealers they told me labor was about 2-3 hours' worth, but that I could save on almost all that labor if I was bringing my car in at the same time for the fuel pressure sensor recall, since they have to remove almost all the same components to gain access to perform the recall as they do the spark plugs. I was pretty surprised the dealer actually suggested a method of cutting down MY costs, which was quite a decent move on the dealer's part.

The tip here is that if you're due for the spark plug replacement and you plan on bringing your car into a dealer for it, if at all possible do the replacement at the same time as a service that requires the removal of the same parts (air intake box, etc). The two things that come to mind are the fuel pressure sensor recall and the cam gear replacement TSIB, but there are likely others. The latter came to mind because unfortunately (but somewhat fortunately in this case) my car just started exhibiting the grinding start up noise, which means the cam gear TSIB likely needs to be performed, which requires removing the same parts as the spark plug replacement, which means I should save about $200-300 on labor at the dealer. In light of this, I'll probably just go ahead and have my dealer do it since I should pretty much only be paying for parts - if this hadn't been the case, I'd probably DIY.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll call the dealer when it's time for me to do this on my '08 IS 350 (prob some-time early next year - 3ish years after I purchased the car new). Maybe there's a TSIB I'll be due for and I can do what you did. Otherwise, I'm going to try the DIY.
Old 08-19-11, 01:35 PM
lextasy08
Rookie

Great DIY im at 47k so im almost due
Old 09-01-11, 12:08 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Default Thanks Calvin2376

Originally Posted by calvin2376

And its tips like this that keep me coming back to this site! I greatly appreciate it!! I plan on doing exactly this because my "engine noise" has somewhat came back, and while the are taking apart my engine they can go ahead and replace my spark plugs. Does anyone know the correct part# for the spark plugs on the Sewell site? I have part# 9091901249
PLUG, SPARK FK20HBR11 for $17.48 for each spark plug. Is this correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: IS350 Spark Plug Service