Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY: IS350 Spark Plug Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 12:44 PM
Ramjet44
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful about adding lubricant to the threads if the service manual doesn’t call for it. The torque specs were probably determined without lubricant. If you apply lubricant and then apply the service manual torque you could end up over tightening.
Old 06-08-10, 04:11 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
I used the motor oil on the first few threads to prevent cross threading, not for future seize issues.

I personally don't find the need for anti seize on spark plugs, but I guess that'd be personal preference.
sorry to be a noob, but what EXACTLY is cross threading? Is it when you turn the spark plug the wrong way when installing the new one in?
Old 06-08-10, 04:20 PM
LyleBeach
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridanim
sorry to be a noob, but what EXACTLY is cross threading? Is it when you turn the spark plug the wrong way when installing the new one in?
Cross threading is when you don't quite have the plug threading correctly (slightly cocked/tilted) then you try to force it down and it actually starts cutting a new thread path.
Old 06-08-10, 04:32 PM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ thanks man. totally appreciate it!
Old 06-08-10, 05:18 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Any Guide for the IS250? Is it the same or much more difficult?

Also are these the OEM spark plug?

http://www.lexpartsworld.com/scripts...?idproduct=546
Old 06-22-10, 03:15 PM
pdivizzle
Driver School Candidate

i work at a lexus dealer...these IS models are cake to work on..i timed myself once 5 minutes to remove the entire manifold..makes your life alot easier with the right tools
Old 06-22-10, 03:25 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

thanks for the write up, it will be really useful for me pretty soon
Old 06-28-10, 11:36 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that iridium plugs in the IS don't need to be changed as often as Lexus recommends... generally I don't want to miss manufacturer recommended intervals, but 60K does seem kind of early to change spark plugs, doesn't it?
Old 06-29-10, 06:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I've heard that iridium plugs in the IS don't need to be changed as often as Lexus recommends... generally I don't want to miss manufacturer recommended intervals, but 60K does seem kind of early to change spark plugs, doesn't it?
Not really, considering the direct injection system.

Honestly, given most folks aren't going to keep their cars for 180,000 miles you're talking a difference of changing once or changing twice over the life of the vehicle.
Old 06-29-10, 08:30 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I plan on keeping my car until I die. ... or she dies, whichever comes first. It's the first car I bought on my own.

But I didn't realize DI can be more harmful to spark plugs.
Old 08-23-10, 06:10 PM
trnsprtr
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great how-to. My Lexus dealer quoted me 700 for the 60k service. I've loved the car since it's had 4 miles on the odometer but that dealership just keeps reminding me over and over why they're likely to never get another dime out of me.
Old 08-24-10, 04:42 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I plan on keeping my car until I die. ... or she dies, whichever comes first. It's the first car I bought on my own.

But I didn't realize DI can be more harmful to spark plugs.
It's not really DI being more harmful to the plugs, but more because the high compression causes Toyota to use a colder plug to avoid ping, causes more plug fouling, causes them to use the 3 prong plugs and more frequent changes.

Those old plugs they pull out looks like they are in EXCELLENT condition and would last another 30k: the center electrode is sharp and long, the color looks great, the gap is still LIKE NEW. Unless they predict micro fracture in the ground electrode (unlikely since traditional plug designs have been in turbo charged and super charged cars and works fine) I don't think there's anything to wear out within only 60k.
Old 08-24-10, 07:04 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Why does the dealer seem to charge alot for this particular task.. or is the cost not clear when mixed with the 60k service?

Can't possible take more than a factory trained mechanic more than 1 hour of labor.

As to spark plugs usually hand tighten then 1/2 - 3/4 turn with a wrench is good to go.
This is actually on some of the instructions on NGK spark plugs.. but works on denso too. Be careful with the clickers sometimes you could overshoot and miss it on such low torque
I never oil my plug threads also.. but hand start carefully. I believe oil messes up the torque (manual torque are assuming dry threads)..

Last edited by SC3coupe; 08-24-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 08:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Why does the dealer seem to charge alot for this particular task.. or is the cost not clear when mixed with the 60k service?
Same reason they charge $150 for a "10k service" when it's nothing but an oil change. Because customers don't know any better.
Old 08-24-10, 08:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG

Can't possible take more than a factory trained mechanic more than 1 hour of labor.

As to spark plugs usually hand tighten then 1/2 - 3/4 turn with a wrench is good to go.
This is actually on some of the instructions on NGK spark plugs.. but works on denso too. Be careful with the clickers sometimes you could overshoot and miss it on such low torque
I never oil my plug threads also.. but hand start carefully. I believe oil messes up the torque (manual torque are assuming dry threads)..
There's a plug torque spec for a reason. If you overtighten, the shell distorts, the center electrode isn't where it's supposed to be, and it affects heat range - typically making the plug run hotter.

Use your torque wrench. There is no better way.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-24-10 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS350 Spark Plug Service