IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Moisture in Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 06:01 AM
nisenku
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Moisture in Headlight

So I did an HID upgrade and yesterday when I got home the Driver's side headlight had a bunch of moisture in it . I have had the HID's in for about a month now. So I opened it up and used a hairdryer and got it completely dry however when I woke this morning, moisture again . While I had it apart I noticed the grommet where I had to slice it to get wires through had a slight gap so I used to epoxy glue to seal the gap in the grommet. Now since I made a hole in the plastic back cover where the new HID wires go through, I know I can't take to Lexus to get fixed. It's only the driver's side thought which is weird. The passenger side had the same gap but no moisture? Any ideas. My next step is to dry out again and put in some of those dry out things that comes with shoes and dried foods. Thanks for any help you can give.

Larkin
Old 10-21-09, 07:10 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's not completely sealed. Try more epoxy
Old 10-21-09, 07:15 AM
nisenku
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking that but could it just be I didn't let it "air" out enough to make temps the same and there was "unseen" moisture when I sealed it back up? Man this is driving me nuts! I have never had this issue before.
Old 10-21-09, 07:21 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try heating up the headlight and remove all the excess sealant and re apply new sealant (waterproof) heat it back up and apply pressure.
Old 10-21-09, 07:30 AM
nisenku
Driver School Candidate

Sway, thanks I will try that as well.
Old 10-21-09, 11:49 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

this happened to me too! i was so pissed. about the same story as you, after like... 6 months of HID goodness it started condensing, so i resealed it again and it still was condensing. i actually ordered new back covers from sewell and was about to take it to the dealer and try and play it off like i never touched them haha.

but then one of my buddy's told me to put in those packets that suck up moisture, ya know the ones in shoe boxes, medicine/pill things that say do not eat on them. i can't remember what they're called.

so i hair blow dry'd it out.
removed all the old silcone,
made sure the gromet sat flush on the cover,
then i siliconed the hell out of it.
waited for it to dry before moving the cover back in place.
i put a big packet of those things that suck up moisture in there.

and wala, no more condensation. i then waited a week, opened up the cover and removed the packet, and closed it right away on a sunny hot day. still no condensation. hope that helps

Edit: Ahhh they're called Silica Gel Packets, try putting one in there, but tape it up in there good so it doesn't get lost in your housing

Last edited by xuningshen; 10-21-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 06:05 AM
nisenku
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xuningshen
this happened to me too! i was so pissed. about the same story as you, after like... 6 months of HID goodness it started condensing, so i resealed it again and it still was condensing. i actually ordered new back covers from sewell and was about to take it to the dealer and try and play it off like i never touched them haha.

but then one of my buddy's told me to put in those packets that suck up moisture, ya know the ones in shoe boxes, medicine/pill things that say do not eat on them. i can't remember what they're called.

so i hair blow dry'd it out.
removed all the old silcone,
made sure the gromet sat flush on the cover,
then i siliconed the hell out of it.
waited for it to dry before moving the cover back in place.
i put a big packet of those things that suck up moisture in there.

and wala, no more condensation. i then waited a week, opened up the cover and removed the packet, and closed it right away on a sunny hot day. still no condensation. hope that helps

Edit: Ahhh they're called Silica Gel Packets, try putting one in there, but tape it up in there good so it doesn't get lost in your housing
Thanks I will try that! When you say silicon are you talking about on the cover? I notice that on three sides it has a good indentation on it but one side looks like it doesn't seal as flush. I will get some of those packets today. GF has some new shoes coming in the mail haha! Thanks again and will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-22-09, 08:36 AM
kimIS
Rookie

I've had same problem as you after few month of getting HID.
if you want you can buy back cover for that whole and put back on stock bulbs take picture of moisture inside headlight and show it to the dealer. and IF you have warranty they will replace your drivers side headlight. If that doesn't work just take it back to whoever installed it for you and have them redo it. In my case I had stock light back in for about 2 weeks and reinstalled HID and its perfectly fine now. Hope this helps atleast a little and good luck!

-Tony
Old 10-22-09, 11:28 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nisenku
Thanks I will try that! When you say silicon are you talking about on the cover? I notice that on three sides it has a good indentation on it but one side looks like it doesn't seal as flush. I will get some of those packets today. GF has some new shoes coming in the mail haha! Thanks again and will let you know how it goes.
yes i mean the silicone(sealant) on the cover that you drilled a hole in.

on the backside of the cover there is a bunch of criss crosses(dunno how else to describe it) i grinded those down flat, so that the grommet would sit flush or flat on the backside(inside) part of the cover as well as the front side.
Old 10-27-09, 08:29 AM
nisenku
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys I will have to do this weekend. Didn't have time this weekend with all house stuff I am getting done. Let you know what goes down. Thanks!
Old 10-27-09, 09:16 AM
Oreo27g
Driver

I did this with my Acura when I was 16 back in like 2003, but look for a spot you can drop one of those silica gel bags that you find in packages. They absorb moisture.