IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone else with hood problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 08:00 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else with hood problems?

I'm not sure if this is a problem, but how difficult is it for everyone else to close their engin hood after you open it? With my hood I actually need to semi-slam the hood in order for it to close and latch. Anyone else notice this too?
Or is it just me?

With all my previous cars i was able to engauge the hood at the first latch and then gently press down to close. Now the hood need to be slammed.
Old 11-09-06, 08:02 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just slam it. It won't hurt your car. That's the way it is.
Old 11-09-06, 08:08 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

its normal you have to slam it to get it to shut, the hood is really light so it makes sense
Old 11-09-06, 09:24 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

You should always drop the hood not force it closed with your hands.
Old 11-09-06, 11:33 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, there was a previous post about this a while back and you have to slam it. not necessarily hard, maybe not even slam, but give it a little pull/push down. if not, you could dent the hood. i just grab the latch with my finger and pull down.
Old 11-10-06, 05:32 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

I found that if I put my hand directly over the latch and follow the hood down, with just the slightest amount of force, I can close the hood without a slam.

But I do know what the initial poster is talking about... the first time I opened the hood I was like WTF??? I have to say it was comforting to read on here that it's normal.

Hope that tip helps.
Old 11-10-06, 01:11 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yup it's normal...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220664
Old 11-10-06, 02:02 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
You should always drop the hood not force it closed with your hands.
Everyone else: RTFM! This is the PRESCRIBED WAY TO CLOSE YOUR HOOD! Watch anyone who's been around cars a lot...they lower the hood to about 10-12 inches above the latch, and clunk! on the first try. If you push on the hood too hard or in the wrong spot, you can dent/deform it.
Old 11-10-06, 02:22 PM
sarge43
Driver

Just one additional thought... If someone has messed with the rubber bumpers that the hood rests on when closed, they could be set too high requiring the hood to be in a much lower position for the latch to fully engage. This would require a bigger slam than normally needed to close a hood. I agree that a slight drop form 8-10" should usually do the trick.
Old 11-10-06, 02:49 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

All You Have To Do Is Drop The Hood, No Need Of Forcing It Yourself!..*
Old 11-10-06, 03:46 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Everyone else: RTFM! This is the PRESCRIBED WAY TO CLOSE YOUR HOOD! Watch anyone who's been around cars a lot...they lower the hood to about 10-12 inches above the latch, and clunk! on the first try. If you push on the hood too hard or in the wrong spot, you can dent/deform it.
Before you start dishing out "advice" about the 2nd generation IS, I have two suggestions for you:

1) Get yourself a 2nd generation IS
2) Get yourself a 2nd generation IS owner's manual and read it yourself.

Your answer, aside from being completely wrong, is rude, and adds absolutely nothing to this thread. There is only one page in the owner's manual where the word "hood" is referenced, and that's page 258:

As you can see, nowhere on that page is a "prescribed" way to close the hood mentioned. While the method you mentioned of closing the bonnet is applicable to almost every other auto in existence, the 2IS's latching mechanism is completely different. So please, chill out, and make sure you have your facts straight.

Javier
Old 11-10-06, 09:10 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Before you start dishing out "advice" about the 2nd generation IS, I have two suggestions for you:

1) Get yourself a 2nd generation IS
2) Get yourself a 2nd generation IS owner's manual and read it yourself.

Your answer, aside from being completely wrong, is rude, and adds absolutely nothing to this thread. There is only one page in the owner's manual where the word "hood" is referenced, and that's page 258:

As you can see, nowhere on that page is a "prescribed" way to close the hood mentioned. While the method you mentioned of closing the bonnet is applicable to almost every other auto in existence, the 2IS's latching mechanism is completely different. So please, chill out, and make sure you have your facts straight.

Javier

hehehehehe
Old 11-10-06, 10:01 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember the hood is made of aluminum......not stamped steel...so be careful.
And yes, I too had trouble closing the hood and asked the s/a at my dealership. He opened the hood and to close it lowered it to about a foot above the latch than used his hand (resting on the middle of the hood) to just push it down 'smartly'. Closed perfectly and I've had no problems closing the hood since. Just the way it is...
I agree with javyLSU. No telling how many who post here actually own an IS
Old 11-10-06, 11:12 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I apologize if my post above (which has now been edited) offended anyone who read it. Yes, you are somewhat correct: I am not in possession of a 2nd generation Lexus IS. I have already signed paperwork, and all that remains is for the car to arrive and go through a pre-delivery inspection before I complete taking ownership.

As such, I don't have a reference to a specific 2nd generation IS owner's manual. However, every owner's manual which I have read (admittedly, a small sample) advocates this method of closing the hood, to prevent dents and/or bent hoods.

Put simply, I love cars. I love cars so much that I've made it my career to ensure consumers like the OP can enjoy some of the highest quality products at the least possible cost. I want you to enjoy your cars as much as I do, and I'd hate to have a dented hood because I forced it shut when latching it.
Old 02-13-12, 07:54 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Glad I read this post , makes me feel a lot better now. Thought this was another set of problem I had to take forward to my SA.

Quick Reply: Anyone else with hood problems?