IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non Mark Levison nav screen used to play dvd's

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 07:21 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah. regret for not having ML... but tell you this.... My IS is Ipod Video Ready. you got that?
Old 12-18-06, 08:09 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I dont have an ipod

Anyway, Good job on the install. I will probably have to do something like that one day. I would really like an add on card reader or some way to play photos. I know that your set up can do that too.

I wasnt knocking you on that... just saying that for the price, others could buy a used ML head unit. Which is a rare find... but may or may not be in the for sale section

Last edited by tqlla3k; 12-18-06 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 08:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
Yeah. regret for not having ML... but tell you this.... My IS is Ipod Video Ready. you got that?
Right now I'm burning DVDs and playing them on ML but if I didn't have ML, I'd probably use this method. You're right, I wish I had iPod video out but I guess I have to wait for Vaistech to come thru on that.
Old 12-19-06, 06:58 AM
jc957
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the quality when you are using the video function of your ipod? Do you notice any significant difference between an ipod video vs a dvd? I'm just thinking that if someone wants to hold off on spending the money for a dvd changer, watch dvds with your ipod. There is a program called ipod media studio from http://www.makayama.com/ and it works pretty well. Just looking for some feedback since you have experience with both.
Old 12-19-06, 01:57 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Not too sure about the quality when using the video function of the Ipod Video since i do not have one.

With the use of the Kenwood input selector, I have 3 sets of A/V inputs for the Nav Screen.
Old 12-19-06, 01:59 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
Right now I'm burning DVDs and playing them on ML but if I didn't have ML, I'd probably use this method. You're right, I wish I had iPod video out but I guess I have to wait for Vaistech to come thru on that.
Wow great Idea!

If Vaistech can make a IPOD Video Emulator.. think of the possibilities?

watch and control your IPOD through OEM controls.

Have your Ipod Video set on 6 folders as in 1 per each DVD disc. That would be great!
Old 12-19-06, 02:01 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Hmmm, I dont have an ipod

Anyway, Good job on the install. I will probably have to do something like that one day. I would really like an add on card reader or some way to play photos. I know that your set up can do that too.

I wasnt knocking you on that... just saying that for the price, others could buy a used ML head unit. Which is a rare find... but may or may not be in the for sale section
I saw your offer. I'm interested.

Last edited by istundra; 12-19-06 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 05:38 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I saw your offer. I'm interested.
Really? I think your modifications are good. But for others that dont want to go through that hassle.

Well anyway, its on hold for someone until tommorrow. They wanted to check something. Did you look at the pics? I should circle the one cable that I am planning to give with it.

The other cables are a part of the harness. Though, let me know if you think more cables are needed
Old 12-19-06, 07:55 PM
istundra
Pole Position

yeah. I am interested in the whole unit. Let me know if it is still available.

email me at clearstraight@aol.com
Old 12-24-06, 07:56 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

so, i guess you'd be willing to sell out your navtv unit....?
Old 12-25-06, 05:20 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Not sure as of yet. A buddy of mine also has an IS without ML. He was also considering a changer.... But as of now.. for what is offered at that price... I rather stick to the Nav TV.

For nearly about the same amount of money, I can get a Nav TV and get similar results, not to mention the ability for expansion. IE. Headrest monitors, Carputer, Ipod Video, Game Console... etc etc.

a ML Changer will only allow me to play DVD Video ONLY and there is no certainty the conversion from non-ML to ML will work with the parts offered.

If i can get the whole center console, ie Screen, Nav, Changer, and harness, I can make it work. Otherwise too much risk for the amount of money invested.
Old 12-27-06, 12:51 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

so has anyone found a method .. ? to watch movies in a non ML ?
Old 12-27-06, 01:03 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

well the method that works for sure is the navtv...
Old 12-27-06, 01:38 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure as of yet. A buddy of mine also has an IS without ML. He was also considering a changer.... But as of now.. for what is offered at that price... I rather stick to the Nav TV.

For nearly about the same amount of money, I can get a Nav TV and get similar results, not to mention the ability for expansion. IE. Headrest monitors, Carputer, Ipod Video, Game Console... etc etc.

a ML Changer will only allow me to play DVD Video ONLY and there is no certainty the conversion from non-ML to ML will work with the parts offered.

If i can get the whole center console, ie Screen, Nav, Changer, and harness, I can make it work. Otherwise too much risk for the amount of money invested.
I would be willing to send that to you, if you would agree to send me yours back. But sending the Navigation unit... thats going to be a gianormous core charge.

Looking at pics found from this site, the Navigation units are exactly the same. The only differences are in the wire harness. The video feed with the ML unit is guaranteed to work

There are 3 more cables at the bottom of the ML DVD changer.

left Leads out to the main harness for some reason. In my car, I unplugged it, it didnt appear to affect anything(DVD video worked, DVDA still worked, CDs worked). Not sure why its there. If anyone has some insight let me know.

The other two cables go straight into the Navigation unit. It works fine with just these two plugged in

The only thing I am not sure of is getting the audio feed to work in a non-ML car. according to a poster in the 3GS forum. It works.
Old 12-27-06, 02:20 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iexpress
so has anyone found a method .. ? to watch movies in a non ML ?
Yep! Nav TV works for sure.

I am currently using the Panasonic DVD Changer and I am having some problems with it reading the disc.

I might be selling this one off on ebay at a loss and getting a Pioneer DVD Changer.

Quick Reply: Non Mark Levison nav screen used to play dvd's