Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

2017 450h Warning Lights Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 01:34 PM
PShelton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2017 450h Warning Lights Problem

My 2017 RX450h has about 3,500 miles on it (bought in December). A couple of weeks ago, spouse came home and told me the warning lights had gone crazy. The dashboard display showed "Hybrid System Malfunction" and "Pre-Collision Malfunction" warnings. Took it to Concord, CA, Lexus. After three days, they returned the car, stating they had cleared the coes and the codes had not reappeared. So no repair was made.

Yesterday, the guy in front of me stopped short. The BRAKE warning came up, and immediately afterwards, I got alternating displays of "Hybrid System Malfunction" and "Pre-Collision Malfunction", and "ICS Malfunction". Plus an audio warnign popped up on my 12" display, stating that the PCS was malfunctioning. Took it back to the dealer today.

I'm not hopeful. I fully expect they will clear the codes and tell me they haven't reappeared.

So, guys, what do I do next?
Old 06-02-18, 01:58 PM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PShelton
My 2017 RX450h has about 3,500 miles on it (bought in December). A couple of weeks ago, spouse came home and told me the warning lights had gone crazy. The dashboard display showed "Hybrid System Malfunction" and "Pre-Collision Malfunction" warnings. Took it to Concord, CA, Lexus. After three days, they returned the car, stating they had cleared the coes and the codes had not reappeared. So no repair was made.

Yesterday, the guy in front of me stopped short. The BRAKE warning came up, and immediately afterwards, I got alternating displays of "Hybrid System Malfunction" and "Pre-Collision Malfunction", and "ICS Malfunction". Plus an audio warnign popped up on my 12" display, stating that the PCS was malfunctioning. Took it back to the dealer today.

I'm not hopeful. I fully expect they will clear the codes and tell me they haven't reappeared.

So, guys, what do I do next?
If you have a trustworthy mechanic, I would have them take a look at it.
Old 06-06-18, 07:06 AM
PShelton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picked it up from the dealer, they claim problem is solved. They, um, found "an extra bolt laying in the inverter. There were arc marks (2 to be exact) of where the bolt shorted on the motor cable. I removed the bolt, reassembled the car and test drove it 7 miles without fault."

They have no idea where the extra bolt came from. They promise me no damage to the car as a result of this.

Hmmmm. In California, our local lemon law gives them 4 chances to fix the same problem. We're 1/2 way there!
Old 06-06-18, 02:24 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PShelton
Picked it up from the dealer, they claim problem is solved. They, um, found "an extra bolt laying in the inverter. There were arc marks (2 to be exact) of where the bolt shorted on the motor cable. I removed the bolt, reassembled the car and test drove it 7 miles without fault."

They have no idea where the extra bolt came from. They promise me no damage to the car as a result of this.

Hmmmm. In California, our local lemon law gives them 4 chances to fix the same problem. We're 1/2 way there!
At least the dealership told you they found the bolt, and if it's documented, I believe Lexus will likely make good on future issues that this arcing might have caused. Sounds like an assembly line worker got careless.
Old 08-07-20, 12:06 PM
jljwcpa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Rx450h. 40K miles. shuts off while driving

Well has anyone experienced the vehicle shutting off while you are driving it... streets not hiway. Error messages Hybrid malfunction Shift to P; Lane Keeping error; ICS malfunction. Its happened 4 times, yesterday had to tow it to the dealer... but so far they cant find the cause..
Old 08-07-20, 01:29 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

u should record this and sent it to lexus its very dangerous that it shut off when u driving.
The following users liked this post:
jljwcpa (08-08-20)
Old 04-08-21, 07:21 PM
khmer470
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow sounds pretty dangerous, I hope nothing like this happening to me.
thus far so good on my 400h.
Old 04-09-21, 06:22 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jljwcpa
Well has anyone experienced the vehicle shutting off while you are driving it... streets not hiway. Error messages Hybrid malfunction Shift to P; Lane Keeping error; ICS malfunction. Its happened 4 times, yesterday had to tow it to the dealer... but so far they cant find the cause..
Strange that they only have one post on this website. I wish they would have given us an update, of course this may have been a false post.