Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Braking on Ice .. another hybrid advantage

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 12:39 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Braking on Ice .. another hybrid advantage

Driving today on Texas hwy, came to an overpass ... 1 vehicle was stopped in the middle lane [I was driving in the middle lane] and 4-6 vehicles strewn across both sides of the highway and all pointing in different directions.

My mind quickly keep saying to me, brake and steer. RX started to slow down but I still felt that I was closing in too quickly to the stopped vehicle. I steered in to the slow lane and comfortably kept a wide margin with the stopped vehicle and the vehicle on the embankment. Once past the overpass, I did slow down till the roads appeared dryer and temperature showed 34 (cant trust it fully).

In any case, I started thinking that some of the energy (speed) got sucked up by the regenerative braking. Without the regenerate braking, the actual slow down had to come from wheel to road contact. In ice, it would have been poor (or poorer for sure).

What are your thoughts?

Salim
Old 01-02-18, 03:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Salim, I'm glad you got through that unscathed. I haven't really thought about how much energy is sucked up by regenerative braking, probably a bit based on what I see on the instrument panel. But it's honestly the last thing on my mind when roads are icy or snow covered. Instead I rely on a combination of common sense (i.e. bridges and overpasses freeze sooner than road surfaces), releasing the gas pedal at first sign of slipping, staying off the brakes, steering into the direction the vehicle is slipping (not where you want to go), and knowing VDIM will kick in as needed. No doubt that's happened hundreds of times since it's seamless. Getting back to your question, I have a feeling regenerative braking on the 450h has its advantages. Ain't no figure skater though.
Old 01-03-18, 06:03 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

When slowing down on ice, it technically doesn't really matter hybrid or not for the most part. Anytime a resistance to forward motion (whether it's regular braking, regen braking, or powertrain resistance) is more than that which air resistance is providing, it involves the contact between the wheels and the road. The regen braking is not removing any resistance the icy road needs to provide, it's simply redirecting the energy that would be dissipated as heat at the brake pads to energy stored in the battery. To reduce the resistance required by the tires while stopping as effectively, you would need to increase air resistance (a drag chute would be a great example).

What regen braking does do, is provide slightly more firm resistance while coasting, perhaps better than the average driver can manage with less risk of a slide / ABS activation. This may be an advantage, but it could also be a disadvantage depending on how slick the ice is and the quality of tires. If it's really slippery, the sudden drag of lifting your foot off the gas pedal may result in skid. This is a scenario that VDIM is supposed to help with.
The following users liked this post:
Nauticalx (01-08-18)
Old 01-04-18, 08:06 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Andy, you have raised good points ... that is why I was seeking input.

So the heat loss for normal vs regen is the only difference. The rotating wheel is being slowed down by two different mechanisms while the road/ice contact to the wheel is the same.

Salim
Old 01-04-18, 09:00 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Not that it helps any, but my first thought at this thread when reading the title was "Keep your diaper on!".

Seriously, though, good thoughts generated by the scenario, Salim. Thanks, too, for your input and perspective, Andy.

The frozen road surface issue is not common where I live, but I do travel to the UP and Maine areas for business in winter time (another week long trip to central Maine coming week after next), so I'm always eager to read these kinds of threads to keep my mind and sense of awareness as sharp and ready as possible because I do drive occasionally in these kinds of conditions.
Old 01-04-18, 01:57 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Right -- hybrid or not has no impact on the traction of your tires on ice. What would have made a difference was having winter tires but they generally aren't all that practical in most parts of Texas.
Old 01-06-18, 05:00 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Salim, HSD is set to provide 80% of braking power via regen. Whatever is demand above that, hydraulics kick in.
Suggestion: next time, in case like this, drop it down into B mode. You'll never skid in in it and you have extra engine braking power.
I LUV B mode. totally.
Old 01-08-18, 10:19 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
When slowing down on ice, it technically doesn't really matter hybrid or not for the most part. Anytime a resistance to forward motion (whether it's regular braking, regen braking, or powertrain resistance) is more than that which air resistance is providing, it involves the contact between the wheels and the road. The regen braking is not removing any resistance the icy road needs to provide, it's simply redirecting the energy that would be dissipated as heat at the brake pads to energy stored in the battery. To reduce the resistance required by the tires while stopping as effectively, you would need to increase air resistance (a drag chute would be a great example).

What regen braking does do, is provide slightly more firm resistance while coasting, perhaps better than the average driver can manage with less risk of a slide / ABS activation. This may be an advantage, but it could also be a disadvantage depending on how slick the ice is and the quality of tires. If it's really slippery, the sudden drag of lifting your foot off the gas pedal may result in skid. This is a scenario that VDIM is supposed to help with.
This is SPOT on.
Old 01-09-18, 09:09 AM
alisher
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess, Lexus VDIM helped salimshah.