Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Improving the RX Hybrid - What's on your wishlist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 07:05 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Improving the RX Hybrid - What's on your wishlist?

Lets hear some ideas on what you would improve with the RX Hybrids.

I wish for 3 things if Toyota ever improves the RX system.

- Slightly higher rate of acceleration
- Slightly higher top speed
- Slightly higher battery capacity

Down in South FL, 45 MPH is the speed limit on most roads, everyone does way more. Being able to cruise at 45MPH in the right lane rather than ~40mph would allow me to utilize the hybrid system a bit more often and reduce MPGs further.
While I don't expect to always accelerate from a stop in EV mode, when the roads are completely empty and no one is behind me for miles, I do try it, and it's just painfully slow. Slightly more rate of acceleration would again allow me to utilize the hybrid system a bit more often and reduce MPGs further.
When in highway traffic, I like to try and keep it in EV mode when traffic is moving steady at 30-40mph, being able to do that longer would increase my MPG a lot during my morning commute. I understand not wanting to make the battery much bigger

The last one might not be the most desirable but the first two should be do-able,
I imagine it's just software programming limiting those two since the motor and battery should be able to handle it for short periods of time, it's probably just Toyota being super conservative, at-least that is what I tell myself, but perhaps even if the motors can handle it, maybe the batteries can't supply more power, or the wires can't handle it to accelerate any faster, but I doubt it, since the motors have to be producing more power during full acceleration where it kicks in to help the ICE which is why I sort of think it should be able to handle it, but even if small improvements are needed Toyota should atleast try to improve the system with every new iteration rather that just being content with there being no major changes to the RX system in over 7 years.
Old 07-17-17, 07:53 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

OK, this question has been asked in a Gen3 forum, so I don't know if the Gen4's have already addressed any of the issues below, but some (appearance) I KNOW have not yet been addressed.

1. Better driver side seat cushion quality (thickness, weight distribution, etc.)
2. Truly cooled (air conditioned) seats (as opposed to blowers moving ambient air only)
3. Better managed braking system in conjunction with the regen braking operation (until warmed up, stops are quite jerky, at least in mine).
4. Better appearance... slightly boxier shape (I don't like the "egg" look of the older models nor do I like the "razor edge" look of the latest model), more modest front grill (the new one is horrendous looking).
5. Non-disk based Nav system... something which can receive updated maps from Google, etc. via home network Bluetooth or Wifi connection.
Old 07-17-17, 11:05 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1) A head rest that doesn't force my head forwards in a downward pointing position! The current headrest is awful and mine is turned backwards (it came that way from the previous owners so I know I am not the only one with this complaint). My 1980 Mercedes has adjustable tilt on the head rest... why can't a 201x Lexus have this feature? For a car of this class the current headrest is horrendous! Running with the headrest in it's proper position is even more dangerous that running with it backwards because it is so uncomfortable in its proper position that I quickly feel strained which diverts my attention away from what I should be doing... DRIVING!

2) For me the acceleration and top speed of my 450h is fine... if I wanted faster / sportier I would have bought a M35h. If Lexus tunes the drive train I would much prefer better mpg than more acceleration. I do like the idea of better acceleration in all electric mode which would improve mpg. A plug in hybrid version with extended electric range would be really cool!... but I doubt I would be able to afford one.

3) I would REALLY like an accessible 12v outlet and 5v quick charge connectors to complement the ones hidden in the center console.

4) I concur, it would be great if the heated/cooled seats actually cooled!

5) I think Lexus should do away with the navigation all together and replace it with Car play / Android auto so I can view my phone navigation on the cars screen! I don't ever bother with using the current built in navigation, google maps and Waze are MUCH better than anything built in could ever be.

6) A 1/2" more drivers leg room would be nice. I have just enough in my 450h but it would be nice to have the seat go just a bit farther back. When on a long trip I like to adjust my seat along the way a bit to change my bodies position and balance which keeps me from getting as tired.

7) The seat that extends the front of the seat a bit should be a base option in a car of this class, not a rare accessory.

8) Unleaded! In the next generation RX I hope Lexus uses direct injection and allows for use of regular unleaded gasoline instead of Premium!

9) There are several cool technologies emerging... radar controlled cruise control, lane assist, etc. of them the one technology that I think would be really useful is the 360 camera that shows everything around the vehicle. While radar cruise and lane assist sound really neat I kind of wonder what their practical usefulness would be.

10) Make the HUD (Heads up display) a $100 option instead of a $1000 option. I doubt it costs Lexus more that $40 for the HUD parts... make it affordable to include this option.

For me the exterior styling is pretty inconsequential... I can't really tell a 450h from a Highlander / CRV / Subaru / Mazada Cx5 / Ford / Chevy / Jeep / Nissan / Hyundia / etc. They all look the same to me on the outside from more that 10 feet away and it doesn't bother me in the least that they do. I don't really care for all the 2016 grills on the current gens of Lexus cars but with time I will grow accustom to them and accept them. Sharp bends or gently rolling curves makes no difference to me, like I said all current crossovers look the same to me. Many people are more attuned to exterior styling than me... and that is fine, it just isn't high on my priorities.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 07-17-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 11:42 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I go for the headrest adjustability too. I am told I have excellent posture, and sitting in the RX pushes my head forward, so I reverse the headrest also.

As for regular gas, I've used ONLY regular all this time, and the engine is perfectly happy. No doubt a few fewer horsepower, but not enough to notice, and the engine adjusts itself automatically.

A place (again) for sunglasses.

Free beer for a year.
Old 07-17-17, 11:54 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Use Lexus GS platform instead of Camry.
And the damn AC button so when the useless Nav dies, one doesn't have to shell out $7K for a replacement.
Old 07-17-17, 01:49 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Give it easily-replaceable batteries like the Mercedes AA-Class

Last edited by NateJG; 08-23-17 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 05:36 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Originally Posted by riredale
As for regular gas, I've used ONLY regular all this time, and the engine is perfectly happy. No doubt a few fewer horsepower, but not enough to notice, and the engine adjusts itself automatically.
May I inquire what kind of gas millage your 450h is telling you it is getting? I am curious if there is a big difference in mpg on regular vs premium?
Old 07-17-17, 05:39 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
And the damn AC button so when the useless Nav dies, one doesn't have to shell out $7K for a replacement.
I noticed this too. The second week I owned my 450h it stopped blowing cold air. My 12yo daughter told me we broke it. It took us forever to figure out we needed to turn the AC back on using the display.
Old 07-18-17, 07:32 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NateJG
Hey Toyota: How hard is it to reprogram the A/C button for (push) A/C On, (push) A/C Off, (push) A/C On, etc?!?
Ever notice that every Toyota vehicle has it and every Lexus doesn't?
There's a reason they shove their inferior non-replaceable (due to HVAC) navigation systems down our throats - so we'd have to upgrade our vehicles sooner.
Germans simply make the engines last 50K miles, so there's that.
Old 07-18-17, 08:03 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Egads! And my 54K-mile Z4 goes in for service next week. Say it isn't so!
Hope you have extended warranty. Your transmission is due for a replacement.
How is the HPFP (HIgh Pressure Fuel Pump)? Still holding up?
And have they told you about carbon buildup cleaning yet due to Direct Injection and no Port Injection?

Being a German car owner myself, there are some things that make me really appreciate the Lexus quality and overlook certain imperfections in its design.
Which reminds me, my Audi is due for some warranty and recall work. It drives amazing, though. And has the AC button.
Old 07-18-17, 08:29 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Surely someone (with more electrical neurons than me) can find a way to bypass the Nav system to a straight wired A/C button.

Last edited by F250; 07-18-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 10:52 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Germans simply make the engines last 50K miles, so there's that.
It's the proliferation of the leasing business. they figured this out. collect the monthly payment and throw in the maintenance for free. I hope Lexus doesn't succumb to this pressure.
Old 07-18-17, 11:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F250
Surely someone (with more electrical neurons than me) can fin a way to bypass the Nav system to a straight wired A/C button.
I'm waiting for these guys to make an integration unit that could be used with an aftermarket navigation system:
http://maestro.idatalink.com/
No luck so far.

However, this idea has crossed my mind. It's all about reading and sending CANBUS signals. I was thinking of reprogramming the OFF button to become the AC button.
Old 07-18-17, 01:10 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Vlad - Can I pre-order?
Nate, you'll be the first on my list, LOL.
Now for the easy part - figuring out how to build CANBUS controllers. How hard can it be?
Old 07-31-17, 06:27 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeInOr
May I inquire what kind of gas millage your 450h is telling you it is getting? I am curious if there is a big difference in mpg on regular vs premium?

Typically 28mpg "since refill" now that the weather is warmer. Mostly short city trips. Last winter it was much worse for short trips, since the engine needed to warm up more. Highway in the high 20's depending on speed.

Quick Reply: Improving the RX Hybrid - What's on your wishlist?