LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 12:23 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Brake!

A bit of a story to get to my point:

The other day, I had a traffic moron annoying me. I was just driving smoothly along a 4-Lane and he would just merge blinkerlessly as he would pass me, just barely missing me. I would ignore his c r a p and just kept playing my own game (which is driving smoothly and working my way through traffic at a steady cruise speed). I was more effective than he at managing traffic, so I snuck back past him a couple/few times. But then he'd come barreling through traffic (annoying everyone else too I imagine) and kept cutting in on me (and everybody else) every time he would barrel past. This got on my nerves.

I beat him to turn onto the interstate ramp just from being accurate and paying attention to traffic, and making progressive moves. But not speeding up, one iota to pass anyone. And I wasn't cutting or weaving through traffic. He just stunk at picking his spots. Anyway, I guess he got tired of finding me in front of him and having to re-pass me, even though I wasn't doing any kind of hussling to get back past him, he was just dumb. So when we turned onto the ramp onto the interstate, he passed me and the car beside me (on my right) over on the shoulder / dirt. He wanted by that bad. It was one of those dual carriageways (as the Brit's say) entrance ramps for a while, until even the ramp merges to one lane.

Well, the person he wound up behind on the ramp wasn't quick enough for him either so he shot left before the actual merge area. He was thoroughly on my nerves at that point, so I hammered it and went by him with the Exhaust Vents signing the V8's praises! He looked at me as I passed him and all he saw was this !

Long story to get to this: Just before I let off the fun pedal, a message flashed up on the dash --> BRAKE! <---

I did not have the Radar Cruise on. It was in NORMAL cruise mode as I find Radar cruise annoying. I had not activated the NORMAL cruise as my right foot was firmly planted to the floor.

However, I was changing lanes to the left as the LS was hauling some serious hiney, and flying up to traffic (as I merged left to the clear left-most lane). I honestly don't think the warning message had anything to do with the car that was not too far in front of me (but as I was dodging with my merge). But for a second when I saw this message I began to wonder if the Radar Cruise wasn't sort of monitoring things "in the background" and detecting my gain on the car in front (as I merged). It happened to flash that warning somewhere in the speed vicinity of 100 mph ( I wasn't watching the speedo closely). The throttle whomping and lane merging sounds more dangerous than it was. Remember, this is Atlanta area traffic so I was probably only doing 20 mph more than the average traffic (temporarily). And, even though I was catching traffic rapidly, I had enough space to notice this message on the dash. It came on and went off quickly. It didn't stay on the whole time I was over 100 mph. I probably hit 105 mph to 110 mph, in that zone.

But then again, if it were actually the Radar Cruise monitoring things "in the background," it made sense that it came on and off so quickly because the warning flashed as I was changing lanes (left) and there was a car in front of me just momentarily as I crossed lanes behind it, while enthusiastically displacing the right side pedal as far forward as allowed.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS MESSAGE FLASH AT THEM? AND WAS IT DUE TO HITTING 100 MPH?

P.S. - The guy was at least a good sport and gave me a thumbs up when he eventually passed back by me. I guess a land yacht flying by at that rate must look and sound impressive.

Jason Oliver
Old 04-04-17, 01:16 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the Pre-Collision system doing it's thing? I believe Pre-Collision is on independent of Adaptive Cruise.
Old 04-04-17, 01:40 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Default Pre-Collision?

Maybe - But it didn't do anything but flash a message...
Old 04-04-17, 04:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Was it the ABS detecting a loss in traction as you floored it?
Old 04-04-17, 05:44 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

What a great story!

I've had that pop-up once, and it was particularly eye-catching in my car with the large message center within the LCD speedometer - there was orange, red and other colors, LOL!

It is the PCS; in my case, I was doing 45 or 50 on a windy road, and the system went crazy when someone driving in the opposite direction got too close as we went into a curve.
Old 04-04-17, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

It was the PCS
Old 04-05-17, 08:55 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

If it was the PCS, that would have to mean the radar system is actively shooting radar, I guess the whole time the car is "ON." I would not have thought the radar system was active, except when using Radar Cruise.

And no is wasn't the ABS. There were no traction issues.
Old 04-05-17, 09:17 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
If it was the PCS, that would have to mean the radar system is actively shooting radar, I guess the whole time the car is "ON." I would not have thought the radar system was active, except when using Radar Cruise.

And no is wasn't the ABS. There were no traction issues.
Correct, and there are also sensors in the headlight assemblies. There is a separate switch, which you've probably seen, to turn off PCS. It lives on the panel below the steering column, on the right side.
Old 04-05-17, 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No it is always active, even when the radar cruise is not on, thats the purpose of the PCS system.
Old 04-05-17, 12:25 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I didn't even realize I had PCS.
Old 04-05-17, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you have radar cruise, you have PCS